Howto substitute the kernel _safely_

  • ffdfsdf fdfdf
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30, 2007
      I have installed Debian/NSLU2 in my slug. I want to compile new kernel (for example for installing grsecurity patch). But because I don't have serial console I want to know how can I substitute my (original) kernel.

      Can you see all the ways I could do that.

      I thought in two:
      1) Open slug and put serial console and compile new kernel. So according to http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AddASerialPort I could select between new kernel and original kernel

      But it not substitute the kernel. It adds new one

      2) Know what are the options the original kernel is compiled (via kernel configuration file) and add more options and compile it. It assures that the new kernel works (because it have the same options as old plus more)

      3) Any other?

      Thank you in advance,
      Xan.

      LLama Gratis a cualquier PC del Mundo.
      http://es.voice.yahoo.com
    • Phil Endecott
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2007
        > I have installed Debian/NSLU2 in my slug. I want to compile new kernel (for example for
        > installing grsecurity patch). But because I don't have serial console I want to know how can
        > I substitute my (original) kernel.

        1. Make a copy of the entire contents of your flash:
        cat /dev/mtdblock* > flash_backup.

        2. Move that to another machines.

        3. Try out your new kernel.

        4. If it works, good! Stop here.

        5. To return to your original kernel, use upslug2 to restore the image
        that you saved before.

        There are other ways to solve the problem, but this is by far the
        easiest in most cases.

        Phil.
      • ffdfsdf fdfdf
        Message 3 of 4 , May 1, 2007
          Phil, thank you very much. You clarify me a lot, but

          * Is there any page in wiki that content this?
          * How can I use upslug2?
          * If I compile kernel ala debian, debian could update my kernel in apt-get upgrades?
          * Where I can find the configuration file of original kernel (in which there are all the modules and built-in that kernel have compiled to)?

          Thanks in advance,

          Message 4 of 4 , May 1, 2007

            http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Debian/HomePage is a good place to start.

            > * How can I use upslug2?

            See the other pages on nslu2-linux.org

            > * If I compile kernel ala debian, debian could update my kernel in
            > apt-get upgrades?

            You should ask this question on the debian-arm mailing list, not here.

            > * Where I can find the configuration file of original kernel (in which
            > there are all the modules and built-in that kernel have compiled to)?

            You should ask this question on the debian-arm mailing list, not here.

            Remember folks, all Debian-related questions are to be asked on the
            debian-arm mailing list, not the nslu2-linux mailing list.