Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

NFS Share shows no files

Expand Messages
  • Steve
    I m pretty new to this group and have a basic working knowledge of linux. I ve searched quite a bit but cannot seem to find the answer to my problem. I have
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 27, 2007
      I'm pretty new to this group and have a basic working knowledge of
      linux. I've searched quite a bit but cannot seem to find the answer
      to my problem.

      I have ssh and mt-daapd installed in my unslung nslu2. I am
      attempting to get nfs-utils working properly.

      I was having a hard go at it until I saw this page:
      http://www.weblog.nohair.net/archives/000756.html
      Which helped with my problem which was rejecting user/password.

      So I am now able to mount /share/hdd/data on my mac (OS X 10.4.9)
      through NFS. The problem is the folder in this mount HDD_1_1_1 shows
      no files.

      Any pointers on where I should start looking for what I did wrong?
      My exports file is identical to the example in the link in the
      beginning of this message.

      Any help would be appreciated.
    • Mike (mwester)
      NFS only exports the partition explicitly requested in the exports file. Specifically, it has exported /share/hdd/data, which is a directory on your root
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 28, 2007
        NFS only exports the partition explicitly requested in the exports file.
        Specifically, it has exported /share/hdd/data, which is a directory on your
        root filesystem on the NSLU2.

        The directory /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1 would be a reference to a FAT or
        NTFS drive that is mounted at that location -- the export of the parent
        directory is not sufficient for NFS to assume that you also wish to
        export/mount the partition mounted beneath that point.

        So basically, you need to export and mount /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1 if you
        wish to see any data there. Be aware that if that is an NTFS partition, it
        will be mounted by the Linksys firmware with specific user id mappings. I
        have no idea how NFS will deal with that, but you may have to do similar
        magic mapping in the mount command to accomodate. Also be aware that the
        Linksys NTFS driver is buggy, and will lock up or crash the NSLU2
        frequently.

        Mike (mwester)

        ----- Original Message -----
        From: "Steve" <savante21@...>
        To: <nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com>
        Sent: Saturday, April 28, 2007 12:14 AM
        Subject: [nslu2-linux] NFS Share shows no files


        I'm pretty new to this group and have a basic working knowledge of
        linux. I've searched quite a bit but cannot seem to find the answer
        to my problem.

        I have ssh and mt-daapd installed in my unslung nslu2. I am
        attempting to get nfs-utils working properly.

        I was having a hard go at it until I saw this page:
        http://www.weblog.nohair.net/archives/000756.html
        Which helped with my problem which was rejecting user/password.

        So I am now able to mount /share/hdd/data on my mac (OS X 10.4.9)
        through NFS. The problem is the folder in this mount HDD_1_1_1 shows
        no files.

        Any pointers on where I should start looking for what I did wrong?
        My exports file is identical to the example in the link in the
        beginning of this message.

        Any help would be appreciated.
      • Steve
        Mike, thanks for your reply. Since posting, I figured out my problem but I cannot seem to figure out how to fix it. When I ssh to my slug as root, my fat32
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 28, 2007
          Mike, thanks for your reply. Since posting, I figured out my problem
          but I cannot seem to figure out how to fix it.

          When I ssh to my slug as root, my fat32 mount is located in :
          /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1 which seems to be in reference to the slug
          itself and all my files are viewable.

          When I nfs mount the exported share it seems to actually export/mount
          the following in reference to the root of the slug:
          /share/flash/data/share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1 which is empty.

          For some reason, NFS is referencing the root of my ext3 flash drive in
          'Disk2' of the slug server which contains the exported
          /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1 but has no files in it.

          How can I go about exporting the share from the nslu2 instead of the
          flash drive?

          Thanks.

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Mike \(mwester\)" <mwester@...>
          wrote:
          >
          > NFS only exports the partition explicitly requested in the exports file.
          > Specifically, it has exported /share/hdd/data, which is a directory
          on your
          > root filesystem on the NSLU2.
          >
          > The directory /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1 would be a reference to a FAT or
          > NTFS drive that is mounted at that location -- the export of the parent
          > directory is not sufficient for NFS to assume that you also wish to
          > export/mount the partition mounted beneath that point.
          >
          > So basically, you need to export and mount /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1
          if you
          > wish to see any data there. Be aware that if that is an NTFS
          partition, it
          > will be mounted by the Linksys firmware with specific user id
          mappings. I
          > have no idea how NFS will deal with that, but you may have to do similar
          > magic mapping in the mount command to accomodate. Also be aware
          that the
          > Linksys NTFS driver is buggy, and will lock up or crash the NSLU2
          > frequently.
          >
          > Mike (mwester)
          >
          > ----- Original Message -----
          > From: "Steve" <savante21@...>
          > To: <nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com>
          > Sent: Saturday, April 28, 2007 12:14 AM
          > Subject: [nslu2-linux] NFS Share shows no files
          >
          >
          > I'm pretty new to this group and have a basic working knowledge of
          > linux. I've searched quite a bit but cannot seem to find the answer
          > to my problem.
          >
          > I have ssh and mt-daapd installed in my unslung nslu2. I am
          > attempting to get nfs-utils working properly.
          >
          > I was having a hard go at it until I saw this page:
          > http://www.weblog.nohair.net/archives/000756.html
          > Which helped with my problem which was rejecting user/password.
          >
          > So I am now able to mount /share/hdd/data on my mac (OS X 10.4.9)
          > through NFS. The problem is the folder in this mount HDD_1_1_1 shows
          > no files.
          >
          > Any pointers on where I should start looking for what I did wrong?
          > My exports file is identical to the example in the link in the
          > beginning of this message.
          >
          > Any help would be appreciated.
          >
        • Michael Homscheidt
          Good morning, I m also using an NSLU2 with NFS exports on a Mac with X.4.9. I had to figure out some Mac specific points but since one year I m using this
          Message 4 of 9 , May 2, 2007
            Good morning,


            I'm also using an NSLU2 with NFS exports on a Mac with X.4.9. I had to figure out some Mac specific
            points but since one year I'm using this combination without problems (anyway my disks on the NSLU
            are natively formatted to ext3). i recommend to format your disks to ext3. Like Mike stated the NTFS
            drivers on the NSLu are a little buggy.

            What I'm interested in is the following:
            (1) What's the contents of your /etc/exports file on the NSLU
            (2) What's the contents of your /etc/passwd file on the NSLU:
            the user ids on the NSLU and the Mac have to be the same. But the Mac and the NSLU have
            different ids. I had to change the userids manually on the NSLU
            (3) On the Mac: what does the command 'showmount -e <NSLU-IP-adress>' say (type it in the
            Terminal; are you familiar with the Terminal?)
            (4) How do you mount the NFS shares? Via command-line (Terminal)? Via Netinfo?


            Regards
            Michael




            Eurocopter Deutschland GmbH
            Sitz der Gesellschaft/Registered Office: Donauwoerth
            Registergericht/Registration Court: Amtsgericht Augsburg HRB 16508
            Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates/Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Dr. Lutz Bertling
            Geschaeftsfuehrung/Board of Management:
            Dr. Wolfgang Schoder, Vorsitzender/CEO; Friedrich-Wilhelm Hormel; Ralf Barnscheidt

            CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

            This communication and the information it contains is intended for the addressee(s) named above and for no other persons or organizations. It is confidential and may be legally privileged and protected by law. The unauthorized use, copying or disclosure of this communication or any part of it is prohibited and may be unlawful.
            If you have received this communication in error, kindly notify us by return e-mail and discard and/or delete the communication. Thank you very much.
            It is possible for e-mails to be intercepted or affected by viruses. Whilst we maintain virus checks on our e-mails, we accept no liability for viruses or other material which might be introduced with this message.
          • Steve Shapiro
            Thanks for your response. I am pretty familiar with terminal and it will allow me to address your concerns. In /opt/etc/exports there is the following data:
            Message 5 of 9 , May 2, 2007
              Thanks for your response.  I am pretty familiar with terminal and it will allow me to address your concerns.

              In /opt/etc/exports there is the following data:

              /share/hdd/data/Slug/Music  192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0(rw,sync,no_root_squash,ins
              /share/hdd/data/Slug/Media 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0(rw,sync,no_root_squash,inse
              /share/hdd/data/Slug  192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0(rw,sync,no_root_squash,insecure)
              /share/hdd/conf   192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0(ro,sync,no_root_squash,insecure)
              #/share/flash/data 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0(rw,sync,all_squash,insecure,anonuid
              #/share/flash/conf 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0(ro,sync,no_root_squash)

              The main share I wanted on the network was /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1 (a 250GB hard drive with 120GB free), however, as I previously noted when mounting that in OS X it would dump me in the flash drive and for some reason interpreted the following path /share/flash/data/
              share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1 in which there was 1.5gb(of 2gb) available and no files...

              I had verified this.  My workaround, as noted in my exports file, was to create a symbolic link called 'Slug' located :
              /share/flash/data/share/hdd/data/ that pointed to /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1.

              So my exports file as listed above does work but I don't understand why the paths are being interpreted from the root of the flash share.

              The only line added to my passwd file was:
              steve:<encrypted password>:2000:501::/home/steve:/bin/sh

              I modified the home directory and shell so that I could ssh in.

              I would change my userid on the NSLU2, how do I get it from OS X?(I've only been on a mac for a week and half now).

              I normally mount the NFS shares by pressing Apple+K and entering "nfs://192.168.1.3
              /share/hdd/data/Slug/Music" for my music share.

              showmount -e 192.168.1.103 shows:

              /share/hdd/conf                 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0
              /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1       192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0
              /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1/Media 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0
              /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1/Music 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0

              I am not really all that knowledgeable about administrating or configuring linux so I'm pretty clueless as to what the issue with the NFS is but I have the workaround using the symbolic link currently working.


              Michael Homscheidt wrote:

              Good morning,

              I'm also using an NSLU2 with NFS exports on a Mac with X.4.9. I had to figure out some Mac specific
              points but since one year I'm using this combination without problems (anyway my disks on the NSLU
              are natively formatted to ext3). i recommend to format your disks to ext3. Like Mike stated the NTFS
              drivers on the NSLu are a little buggy.

              What I'm interested in is the following:
              (1) What's the contents of your /etc/exports file on the NSLU
              (2) What's the contents of your /etc/passwd file on the NSLU:
              the user ids on the NSLU and the Mac have to be the same. But the Mac and the NSLU have
              different ids. I had to change the userids manually on the NSLU
              (3) On the Mac: what does the command 'showmount -e <NSLU-IP-adress> ' say (type it in the
              Terminal; are you familiar with the Terminal?)
              (4) How do you mount the NFS shares? Via command-line (Terminal)? Via Netinfo?

              Regards
              Michael

              Eurocopter Deutschland GmbH
              Sitz der Gesellschaft/ Registered Office: Donauwoerth
              Registergericht/ Registration Court: Amtsgericht Augsburg HRB 16508
              Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates/ Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Dr. Lutz Bertling
              Geschaeftsfuehrung/ Board of Management:
              Dr. Wolfgang Schoder, Vorsitzender/ CEO; Friedrich-Wilhelm Hormel; Ralf Barnscheidt

              CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

              This communication and the information it contains is intended for the addressee(s) named above and for no other persons or organizations. It is confidential and may be legally privileged and protected by law. The unauthorized use, copying or disclosure of this communication or any part of it is prohibited and may be unlawful.
              If you have received this communication in error, kindly notify us by return e-mail and discard and/or delete the communication. Thank you very much.
              It is possible for e-mails to be intercepted or affected by viruses. Whilst we maintain virus checks on our e-mails, we accept no liability for viruses or other material which might be introduced with this message.

            • Michael Homscheidt
              Hi, ... Here s possibly something wrong. The format of the passwd file is : : : : : Here you
              Message 6 of 9 , May 2, 2007
                Hi,
                > The only line added to my passwd file was:
                > steve:<encrypted password>:2000:501::/home/steve:/bin/sh
                >
                Here's possibly something wrong. The format of the passwd file is
                <username>:<encrypted password>:<userid>:<groupid>:<home
                directory>:<shell>

                Here you have the userid=2000 and the groupid=501 (use id <username>
                to confirm this on the NSLU). On the Mac you have the userid=501 and
                the groupid=20 (again use id <username> to confirm this on the Mac).
                I think that you have to edit your /etc/passd on the NSLU to

                steve:<encrypted password>:501:501::/home/steve:/bin/sh


                Regards
                Michael.
              • Steve Shapiro
                Thanks again for the reply, I have modified my passwd file to match what you have suggested. I did verify that my id on the mac is 501 and on the NSLU2 it was
                Message 7 of 9 , May 2, 2007
                  Thanks again for the reply,
                  I have modified my passwd file to match what you have suggested.
                  I did verify that my id on the mac is 501 and on the NSLU2 it was 2000.
                  I will further play with the nfs shares and report back.

                  Thanks.

                  Michael Homscheidt wrote:

                  Hi,
                  > The only line added to my passwd file was:
                  > steve:<encrypted password>:2000: 501::/home/ steve:/bin/ sh
                  >
                  Here's possibly something wrong. The format of the passwd file is
                  <username>:< encrypted password>:<userid> :<groupid> :<home
                  directory>:< shell>

                  Here you have the userid=2000 and the groupid=501 (use id <username>
                  to confirm this on the NSLU). On the Mac you have the userid=501 and
                  the groupid=20 (again use id <username> to confirm this on the Mac).
                  I think that you have to edit your /etc/passd on the NSLU to

                  steve:<encrypted password>:501: 501::/home/ steve:/bin/ sh

                  Regards
                  Michael.

                • Michael Homscheidt
                  Hi and good morning, one further question: why don t export (in /etc/exports) /share/hdd/data and /share/flash/data just to see which nfs-export contains which
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 3, 2007
                    Hi and good morning,

                    one further question: why don't export (in /etc/exports) /share/hdd/data and /share/flash/data just
                    to see which nfs-export contains which comtents?

                    My experience is that a link which points to a directory which is not exported is forbidden.

                    Perhaps you could try this:
                    /share/hdd/data/ 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0(rw,sync,no_root_squash,insecure)
                    /share/flash/data 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0(rw,sync,no_root_squash,insecure)

                    Regards
                    Michael


                    Eurocopter Deutschland GmbH
                    Sitz der Gesellschaft/Registered Office: Donauwoerth
                    Registergericht/Registration Court: Amtsgericht Augsburg HRB 16508
                    Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates/Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Dr. Lutz Bertling
                    Geschaeftsfuehrung/Board of Management:
                    Dr. Wolfgang Schoder, Vorsitzender/CEO; Friedrich-Wilhelm Hormel; Ralf Barnscheidt

                    CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

                    This communication and the information it contains is intended for the addressee(s) named above and for no other persons or organizations. It is confidential and may be legally privileged and protected by law. The unauthorized use, copying or disclosure of this communication or any part of it is prohibited and may be unlawful.
                    If you have received this communication in error, kindly notify us by return e-mail and discard and/or delete the communication. Thank you very much.
                    It is possible for e-mails to be intercepted or affected by viruses. Whilst we maintain virus checks on our e-mails, we accept no liability for viruses or other material which might be introduced with this message.
                  • Steve Shapiro
                    Michael, thanks again for your reply. I had originally tried to export the default shares that you suggested but wasn t able to locate any files in the hdd
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 3, 2007
                      Michael, thanks again for your reply.

                      I had originally tried to export the default shares that you suggested but wasn't able to locate any files in the hdd folder as I expected.
                      The flash share did not have my files either. 
                      It seemed as though within /share/flash/data there was an identical hierarchal layout as to my NSLU2 internal flash, my guess is because that is where I unslung to.  However it seemed as though the filesystem on the flash drive did not contain the mount or share of the external hard drive which only existed in the /share/hdd/data folder of the NSLU2 internal filesystem.

                      Using the symbollic link from /share/flash/data/share/hdd/data/Slug -> /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1 has worked so far but I don't know why I needed to do it that way.  I could probably mess around and try to manually mount the HDD_1_1_1 share into the unslung flash drive's shares.



                      Michael Homscheidt wrote:

                      Hi and good morning,

                      one further question: why don't export (in /etc/exports) /share/hdd/data and /share/flash/ data just
                      to see which nfs-export contains which comtents?

                      My experience is that a link which points to a directory which is not exported is forbidden.

                      Perhaps you could try this:
                      /share/hdd/data/ 192.168.1.0/ 255.255.255. 0(rw,sync, no_root_squash, insecure)
                      /share/flash/ data 192.168.1.0/ 255.255.255. 0(rw,sync, no_root_squash, insecure)

                      Regards
                      Michael

                      Eurocopter Deutschland GmbH
                      Sitz der Gesellschaft/ Registered Office: Donauwoerth
                      Registergericht/ Registration Court: Amtsgericht Augsburg HRB 16508
                      Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates/ Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Dr. Lutz Bertling
                      Geschaeftsfuehrung/ Board of Management:
                      Dr. Wolfgang Schoder, Vorsitzender/ CEO; Friedrich-Wilhelm Hormel; Ralf Barnscheidt

                      CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

                      This communication and the information it contains is intended for the addressee(s) named above and for no other persons or organizations. It is confidential and may be legally privileged and protected by law. The unauthorized use, copying or disclosure of this communication or any part of it is prohibited and may be unlawful.
                      If you have received this communication in error, kindly notify us by return e-mail and discard and/or delete the communication. Thank you very much.
                      It is possible for e-mails to be intercepted or affected by viruses. Whilst we maintain virus checks on our e-mails, we accept no liability for viruses or other material which might be introduced with this message.

                    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.