Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: howto select more than one kernel (ala grub)?

  • Gordon Farquharson
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 27, 2007
      On 4/27/07, Adam Baker <slug@...> wrote:

      > I'd recommend starting with Gordon Farquharson's page on installing LVM which
      > also requires a command line change.
      > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Debian/LVM

      Ack! Somebody found my page which I was trying to keep hidden until I
      had finished it. I suspected that I couldn't keep it hidden for too
      long :-)

      I created a copy of my Apex mtdblock that is padded with 0xff (as
      opposed to 0x00) which is required to change the kernel command that
      is stored line in the Apex configuration area. Martin Michlmayr is
      kindly hosting this file at

      http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/files/etch-modified-mtdblock2.bin

      For an explanation of what to do with this file and how to change the
      kernel command line, have a look at

      http://lists.debian.org/debian-arm/2007/04/msg00007.html

      > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Debian/ChangeKernelCommandLine

      I should update this page with the information contained in my email
      which is linked above. Thanks for pointing this page out to me.

      Gordon

      --
      Gordon Farquharson
    • Gordon Farquharson
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 27, 2007
        Hi All

        On 4/27/07, Adam Baker <slug@...> wrote:

        > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Debian/ChangeKernelCommandLine

        I have updated this Wiki page. Please let me know if you find any
        errors or if something does not work.

        Gordon

        --
        Gordon Farquharson
      • Gordon Farquharson
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 27, 2007
          On 4/27/07, Gordon Farquharson <gordonfarquharson@...> wrote:
          > Hi All
          >
          > On 4/27/07, Adam Baker <slug@...> wrote:
          >
          > > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Debian/ChangeKernelCommandLine
          >
          > I have updated this Wiki page. Please let me know if you find any
          > errors or if something does not work.

          BTW, I have moved Phil's text on how to compile APEX to
          http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Debian/CompileApex.

          Gordon

          --
          Gordon Farquharson
        • Phil Endecott
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 28, 2007
            Gordon wrote:
            > I created a copy of my Apex mtdblock that is padded with 0xff (as
            > opposed to 0x00) which is required to change the kernel command that
            > is stored line in the Apex configuration area.

            My apexctl program, which I described here:

            copes OK with a zero-padded configuration area.

            I'm not sure why the "official" implementation chose to do it a
            different way.

            Phil.
          • Gordon Farquharson
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 28, 2007
              Hi Phil

              On 4/28/07, Phil Endecott <spam_from_nslu2_linux@...> wrote:

              > My apexctl program, which I described here:

              > copes OK with a zero-padded configuration area.

              I have added a section on the Wiki page about your program. The
              formatting of the page needs a little work, but I'll have to work on
              that later.

              Gordon

              --
              Gordon Farquharson
            • ffdfsdf fdfdf
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 28, 2007
                Well, perhaps it's a more high level for me:
                how to put only "selinux=1" in kernel parameters

                Can you be more specific please?

                Thanks in advance,
                Xan.

                Gordon Farquharson <gordonfarquharson@...> escribió:
                Hi All

                On 4/27/07, Adam Baker <slug@baker-net. org.uk> wrote:

                > http://www.nslu2- linux.org/ wiki/Debian/ ChangeKernelComm andLine

                I have updated this Wiki page. Please let me know if you find any
                errors or if something does not work.

                Gordon

                --
                Gordon Farquharson

                LLama Gratis a cualquier PC del Mundo.
                http://es.voice.yahoo.com

              • Gordon Farquharson
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 29, 2007
                  On 4/28/07, ffdfsdf fdfdf <educacio2004@...> wrote:

                  > Well, perhaps it's a more high level for me:
                  > how to put only "selinux=1" in kernel parameters
                  >
                  > Can you be more specific please?

                  The procedure on the Wiki page is basically, upload a modified copy of
                  the mtdblock2 partition, and then use apex-env to change the kernel
                  command line as described on the page. You can also use Phil
                  Endecott's apexctl program which does not require you to upload the
                  modified mtdblock2.

                  I do not think that you just want to put "selinux=1" in the kernel
                  parameters: I doubt that the NSLU2 will boot with just that.

                  Gordon

                  --
                  Gordon Farquharson