Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: howto select more than one kernel (ala grub)?

  • Gordon Farquharson
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 27, 2007
      On 4/27/07, Adam Baker <slug@...> wrote:

      > I'd recommend starting with Gordon Farquharson's page on installing LVM which
      > also requires a command line change.
      > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Debian/LVM

      Ack! Somebody found my page which I was trying to keep hidden until I
      had finished it. I suspected that I couldn't keep it hidden for too
      long :-)

      I created a copy of my Apex mtdblock that is padded with 0xff (as
      opposed to 0x00) which is required to change the kernel command that
      is stored line in the Apex configuration area. Martin Michlmayr is
      kindly hosting this file at

      http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/files/etch-modified-mtdblock2.bin

      For an explanation of what to do with this file and how to change the
      kernel command line, have a look at

      http://lists.debian.org/debian-arm/2007/04/msg00007.html

      > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Debian/ChangeKernelCommandLine

      I should update this page with the information contained in my email
      which is linked above. Thanks for pointing this page out to me.

      Gordon

      --
      Gordon Farquharson
    • Gordon Farquharson
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 27, 2007
        On 4/27/07, Adam Baker <slug@...> wrote:

        > I'd recommend starting with Gordon Farquharson's page on installing LVM which
        > also requires a command line change.
        > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Debian/LVM

        BTW, I am going to update this page for RAID-based installations as well as LVM.

        Gordon

        --
        Gordon Farquharson
      • Gordon Farquharson
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 27, 2007
          Hi All

          On 4/27/07, Adam Baker <slug@...> wrote:

          > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Debian/ChangeKernelCommandLine

          I have updated this Wiki page. Please let me know if you find any
          errors or if something does not work.

          Gordon

          --
          Gordon Farquharson
        • Gordon Farquharson
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 27, 2007
            On 4/27/07, Gordon Farquharson <gordonfarquharson@...> wrote:
            > Hi All
            >
            > On 4/27/07, Adam Baker <slug@...> wrote:
            >
            > > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Debian/ChangeKernelCommandLine
            >
            > I have updated this Wiki page. Please let me know if you find any
            > errors or if something does not work.

            BTW, I have moved Phil's text on how to compile APEX to
            http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Debian/CompileApex.

            Gordon

            --
            Gordon Farquharson
          • Phil Endecott
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 28, 2007
              Gordon wrote:
              > I created a copy of my Apex mtdblock that is padded with 0xff (as
              > opposed to 0x00) which is required to change the kernel command that
              > is stored line in the Apex configuration area.

              My apexctl program, which I described here:

              copes OK with a zero-padded configuration area.

              I'm not sure why the "official" implementation chose to do it a
              different way.

              Phil.
            • Gordon Farquharson
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 28, 2007
                Hi Phil

                On 4/28/07, Phil Endecott <spam_from_nslu2_linux@...> wrote:

                > My apexctl program, which I described here:

                > copes OK with a zero-padded configuration area.

                I have added a section on the Wiki page about your program. The
                formatting of the page needs a little work, but I'll have to work on
                that later.

                Gordon

                --
                Gordon Farquharson
              • ffdfsdf fdfdf
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 28, 2007
                  Well, perhaps it's a more high level for me:
                  how to put only "selinux=1" in kernel parameters

                  Can you be more specific please?

                  Thanks in advance,
                  Xan.

                  Gordon Farquharson <gordonfarquharson@...> escribió:
                  Hi All

                  On 4/27/07, Adam Baker <slug@baker-net. org.uk> wrote:

                  > http://www.nslu2- linux.org/ wiki/Debian/ ChangeKernelComm andLine

                  I have updated this Wiki page. Please let me know if you find any
                  errors or if something does not work.

                  Gordon

                  --
                  Gordon Farquharson

                  LLama Gratis a cualquier PC del Mundo.
                  http://es.voice.yahoo.com

                • Gordon Farquharson
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 29, 2007
                    On 4/28/07, ffdfsdf fdfdf <educacio2004@...> wrote:

                    > Well, perhaps it's a more high level for me:
                    > how to put only "selinux=1" in kernel parameters
                    >
                    > Can you be more specific please?

                    The procedure on the Wiki page is basically, upload a modified copy of
                    the mtdblock2 partition, and then use apex-env to change the kernel
                    command line as described on the page. You can also use Phil
                    Endecott's apexctl program which does not require you to upload the
                    modified mtdblock2.

                    I do not think that you just want to put "selinux=1" in the kernel
                    parameters: I doubt that the NSLU2 will boot with just that.

                    Gordon

                    --
                    Gordon Farquharson