howto select more than one kernel (ala grub)?

  • ffdfsdf fdfdf
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 26, 2007

      I'm planned to install Debian/NSLU2 in my slug (with debian installer).
      When the installation is completed I want to know how can I add new kernel: I know how to compile new kernel in debian (and another distro), but how to put in boot menu?

      I suspect that we don't have grub installed in slug. So what's the booting manager d-i installs on slug? How can I add new kernel?

      Thanks,
      Xan.

      LLama Gratis a cualquier PC del Mundo.
      http://es.voice.yahoo.com
    • Adam Baker
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 26, 2007
        ffdfsdf fdfdf <educacio2004@...> writes:

        > Hi,I'm planned to install Debian/NSLU2 in my slug (with debian installer).
        > When the installation is completed I want to know how can I add new kernel:
        > I know how to compile new kernel in debian (and another distro), but how
        > to put in boot menu?I suspect that we don't have grub installed in slug.
        > So what's the booting manager d-i installs on slug? How can I add new
        > kernel?Thanks,Xan.

        I'll answer here rather than the Debian/ARM list as this is really a general
        NSLU2 question rather than Debian.

        The first bit of code executed when the NSLU2 starts up is a boot loader
        called RedBoot. RedBoot can unpack and then execute a linux kernel and that
        is what it does with Unslung and most SlugOS systems. On Debian and those
        SlugOS machines that need to, usually because of expanded RAM, a different
        bootloader called Apex is installed where Redboot expects to find the kernel.
        Apex then loads the real kernel and executes it. This 2 stage process is
        used by Debian to overcome a limitation in Redboot that means it cannot cope
        with kernel's like Debian that are > 1MB.

        There is a total of 8MB of flash which contains bootloader(s), kernel and
        initial file system (either JFFS or initramfs) plus system configuration
        info. I'm not sure if you could fit 2 kernels in flash but even if you could
        there is no way to select between them at boot time. Neither RedBoot or
        Apex are able to load a kernel from a USB disk. Debian will copy the new
        kernel to flash when you install a new kernel package overwriting the
        existing one.

        Some work was done on using the kexec mechanism in Linux so that a small
        Linux kernel could be used as a bootloader and this would be able to load
        the final kernel from disk but no-one had the time to turn it into a ready
        to deploy solution.
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 26, 2007
          Actually, the latest versions of Apex have the ability to boot from different kernels and ramdisks based on button input at boot.
          Of course it all needs to be packaged, installed, configured, repartitioned, reflashed, etc., but the raw capability is there.
          -- Rod
          (Apologies for formatting - sent on the road from Treo650)

[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • ffdfsdf fdfdf
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 27, 2007
            Well, thank you very much for you explanations
            As well as I understand I have serious limitations for installing two kernels in NSLU2 and that really always we have the latest (debian/NSLU2) kernel installed (copied) in flash slug

            So, how to change the parameters in the kernel. For example, I thinking about installing selinux in Debian/NSLU2. Apart of installing new kernel, we have to change the params (in grub "selinux=1"). How to do that in APEX/redboot?

            Thank you very much another time,
            Xan.

            Adam Baker <slug@...> escribió:
            ffdfsdf fdfdf <educacio2004@ ...> writes:

            > Hi,I'm planned to install Debian/NSLU2 in my slug (with debian installer).
            > When the installation is completed I want to know how can I add new kernel:
            > I know how to compile new kernel in debian (and another distro), but how
            > to put in boot menu?I suspect that we don't have grub installed in slug.
            > So what's the booting manager d-i installs on slug? How can I add new
            > kernel?Thanks, Xan.

            I'll answer here rather than the Debian/ARM list as this is really a general
            NSLU2 question rather than Debian.

            The first bit of code executed when the NSLU2 starts up is a boot loader
            called RedBoot. RedBoot can unpack and then execute a linux kernel and that
            is what it does with Unslung and most SlugOS systems. On Debian and those
            SlugOS machines that need to, usually because of expanded RAM, a different
            bootloader called Apex is installed where Redboot expects to find the kernel.
            Apex then loads the real kernel and executes it. This 2 stage process is
            used by Debian to overcome a limitation in Redboot that means it cannot cope
            with kernel's like Debian that are > 1MB.

            There is a total of 8MB of flash which contains bootloader(s) , kernel and
            initial file system (either JFFS or initramfs) plus system configuration
            info. I'm not sure if you could fit 2 kernels in flash but even if you could
            there is no way to select between them at boot time. Neither RedBoot or
            Apex are able to load a kernel from a USB disk. Debian will copy the new
            kernel to flash when you install a new kernel package overwriting the
            existing one.

            Some work was done on using the kexec mechanism in Linux so that a small
            Linux kernel could be used as a bootloader and this would be able to load
            the final kernel from disk but no-one had the time to turn it into a ready
            to deploy solution.

            LLama Gratis a cualquier PC del Mundo.
            http://es.voice.yahoo.com

          • Phil Endecott
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 27, 2007
              > I'm planned to install Debian/NSLU2 in my slug (with debian installer).
              > When the installation is completed I want to know how can I add new kernel: I know how to
              > compile new kernel in debian (and another distro), but how to put in boot menu?

              I have been doing this so that I can have a "safe" kernel and a "test"
              kernel at the same time. The first task is to make the kernel small
              enough so that you can fit two into the flash.

              Note that the Debian kernel is accompanied by a 3 MByte initramfs. My
              solution was to remove this, which left more than enough space for a
              second kernel. I described this here:

              http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Debian/NoInitramfs

              Once you have done that, you can use APEX to select between kernels at
              boot time if you have a serial port. It's not as friendly as grub but
              it works. Adding a menu to APEX would be a useful project for someone.

              kexec may be a better solution; I noticed something about this for ARM
              recently, maybe in the 2.6.21 release notes.

              Regards,

              Phil.
            • Adam Baker
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 27, 2007
                ffdfsdf fdfdf <educacio2004@...> writes:

                > Well, thank you very much for you explanationsAs well as I understand I
                > have serious limitations for installing two kernels in NSLU2 and that
                > really always we have the latest (debian/NSLU2) kernel installed (copied)
                > in flash slugSo, how to change the parameters in the kernel. For example,
                > I thinking about installing selinux in Debian/NSLU2. Apart of installing
                > new kernel, we have to change the params (in grub "selinux=1"). How to do
                > that in APEX/redboot?

                I'd recommend starting with Gordon Farquharson's page on installing LVM which
                also requires a command line change.
                http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Debian/LVM

                There is a page specifically on changing the command line but it is out of date.
                Maybe you'd like to bring it up to date and point Gordon's page at it once
                you've got it all working.
                http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Debian/ChangeKernelCommandLine

                This is now getting into Debian specifics, further posts would probably be
                better on the debian-arm list.
              • Gordon Farquharson
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 27, 2007
                  On 4/27/07, Adam Baker <slug@...> wrote:

                  > I'd recommend starting with Gordon Farquharson's page on installing LVM which
                  > also requires a command line change.
                  > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Debian/LVM

                  Ack! Somebody found my page which I was trying to keep hidden until I
                  had finished it. I suspected that I couldn't keep it hidden for too
                  long :-)

                  I created a copy of my Apex mtdblock that is padded with 0xff (as
                  opposed to 0x00) which is required to change the kernel command that
                  is stored line in the Apex configuration area. Martin Michlmayr is
                  kindly hosting this file at

                  http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/files/etch-modified-mtdblock2.bin

                  For an explanation of what to do with this file and how to change the
                  kernel command line, have a look at

                  http://lists.debian.org/debian-arm/2007/04/msg00007.html

                  > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Debian/ChangeKernelCommandLine

                  I should update this page with the information contained in my email
                  which is linked above. Thanks for pointing this page out to me.

                  Gordon

                  --
                  Gordon Farquharson
                • Gordon Farquharson
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 27, 2007
                    On 4/27/07, Adam Baker <slug@...> wrote:

                    > I'd recommend starting with Gordon Farquharson's page on installing LVM which
                    > also requires a command line change.
                    > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Debian/LVM

                    BTW, I am going to update this page for RAID-based installations as well as LVM.

                    Gordon

                    --
                    Gordon Farquharson
                  • Gordon Farquharson
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 27, 2007
                      Hi All

                      On 4/27/07, Adam Baker <slug@...> wrote:

                      > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Debian/ChangeKernelCommandLine

                      I have updated this Wiki page. Please let me know if you find any
                      errors or if something does not work.

                      Gordon

                      --
                      Gordon Farquharson
                    • Gordon Farquharson
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 27, 2007
                        On 4/27/07, Gordon Farquharson <gordonfarquharson@...> wrote:
                        > Hi All
                        >
                        > On 4/27/07, Adam Baker <slug@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Debian/ChangeKernelCommandLine
                        >
                        > I have updated this Wiki page. Please let me know if you find any
                        > errors or if something does not work.

                        BTW, I have moved Phil's text on how to compile APEX to
                        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Debian/CompileApex.

                        Gordon

                        --
                        Gordon Farquharson
                      • Phil Endecott
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 28, 2007
                          Gordon wrote:
                          > I created a copy of my Apex mtdblock that is padded with 0xff (as
                          > opposed to 0x00) which is required to change the kernel command that
                          > is stored line in the Apex configuration area.

                          My apexctl program, which I described here:

                          copes OK with a zero-padded configuration area.

                          I'm not sure why the "official" implementation chose to do it a
                          different way.

                          Phil.
                        • Gordon Farquharson
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 28, 2007
                            Hi Phil

                            On 4/28/07, Phil Endecott <spam_from_nslu2_linux@...> wrote:

                            > My apexctl program, which I described here:

                            > copes OK with a zero-padded configuration area.

                            I have added a section on the Wiki page about your program. The
                            formatting of the page needs a little work, but I'll have to work on
                            that later.

                            Gordon

                            --
                            Gordon Farquharson
                          • ffdfsdf fdfdf
                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 28, 2007
                              Well, perhaps it's a more high level for me:
                              how to put only "selinux=1" in kernel parameters

                              Can you be more specific please?

                              Thanks in advance,
                              Xan.

                              Gordon Farquharson <gordonfarquharson@...> escribió:
                              Hi All

                              Message 14 of 14 , Apr 29, 2007
                                On 4/28/07, ffdfsdf fdfdf <educacio2004@...> wrote:

                                > Well, perhaps it's a more high level for me:
                                > how to put only "selinux=1" in kernel parameters
                                >
                                > Can you be more specific please?

                                The procedure on the Wiki page is basically, upload a modified copy of
                                the mtdblock2 partition, and then use apex-env to change the kernel
                                command line as described on the page. You can also use Phil
                                Endecott's apexctl program which does not require you to upload the
                                modified mtdblock2.

                                I do not think that you just want to put "selinux=1" in the kernel
                                parameters: I doubt that the NSLU2 will boot with just that.

                                Gordon

                                --
                                Gordon Farquharson