Multiple NSLU2 problem

  • mau82lo
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 22, 2007
      Hi guys!
      I have 2 NSLU2s on the same subnet, updated with the Debian/NSLU2
      Stable 4.0r0. When I use only one NSLU2, there aren't problems. When I
      power on the other NSLU2, the first hangs up (green led on
      Ready/Status, Ethernet and Disk 1. It doesn't respond to ping, so no
      SSH), while last powered on works.
      Any idea?
      Thank you,

      ZeroByte
    • Edward Rubinsky
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 22, 2007

        On Apr 22, 2007, at 10:49 AM, mau82lo wrote:

        Hi guys!
        I have 2 NSLU2s on the same subnet, updated with the Debian/NSLU2
        Stable 4.0r0. When I use only one NSLU2, there aren't problems. When I
        power on the other NSLU2, the first hangs up (green led on
        Ready/Status, Ethernet and Disk 1. It doesn't respond to ping, so no
        SSH), while last powered on works.
        Any idea?
        Thank you,

        ZeroByte

        .

        _

        Are they both configured wit the the same IP address? What happens if you just power up the second by itself?

        Edward Rubinsky

      • mau82lo
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 23, 2007
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Edward Rubinsky <edrubins@...> wrote:

          > On Apr 22, 2007, at 10:49 AM, mau82lo wrote:
          >
          > > Hi guys!
          > > I have 2 NSLU2s on the same subnet, updated with the Debian/NSLU2
          > > Stable 4.0r0. When I use only one NSLU2, there aren't problems. When I
          > > power on the other NSLU2, the first hangs up (green led on
          > > Ready/Status, Ethernet and Disk 1. It doesn't respond to ping, so no
          > > SSH), while last powered on works.
          > > Any idea?
          > > Thank you,
          > >
          > > ZeroByte
          > >
          > > .
          > >
          > > _
          >
          > Are they both configured wit the the same IP address? What happens if
          > you just power up the second by itself?
          >
          > Edward Rubinsky
          > edrubins@...

          No, they are configured with different static IP addresses.
          There aren't problems if only one NSLU2 is up (it doesn't matter which
          NSLU2 of them).
        • Jo Veulemans
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 23, 2007
            Hi Zerobyte,

            I have the same problem, same configuration.
            Martin Michlmayr knows about the problem.
            Do you have a serial console attached to the NSLU2?
            The output from DMESG don't shows what went wrong.

            Jo Veulemans.

            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 23, 2007
              Do they have different MAC addresses for eth0 reported by ifconfig?
              -- Rod
              (Apologies for formatting - sent on the road from Treo60)

              On Apr 22, 2007, at 10:49 AM, mau82lo wrote:

              > Hi guys!
              > I have 2 NSLU2s on the same subnet, updated with the Debian/NSLU2
              > Stable 4.0r0. When I use only one NSLU2, there aren't problems. When I
              > power on the other NSLU2, the first hangs up (green led on
              > Ready/Status, Ethernet and Disk 1. It doesn't respond to ping, so no
              > SSH), while last powered on works.
              > Any idea?
              > Thank you,
              >
              > ZeroByte
              >
              > .
              >
              > _

              Are they both configured wit the the same IP address? What happens if
              you just power up the second by itself?

              Edward Rubinsky
              edrubins@...

              No, they are configured with different static IP addresses.
              There aren't problems if only one NSLU2 is up (it doesn't matter which NSLU2 of them).

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • mau82lo
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 23, 2007
                Hi Jo,
                I haven't a serial console. I saw the output from DMESG too, but
                without success...

                --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Jo Veulemans" <veulemj1@...> wrote:

                > Hi Zerobyte,
                >
                > I have the same problem, same configuration.
                > Martin Michlmayr knows about the problem.
                > Do you have a serial console attached to the NSLU2?
                > The output from DMESG don't shows what went wrong.
                >
                > Jo Veulemans.
                >

                > On 4/23/07, mau82lo <zerobyte@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com <nslu2-linux%40yahoogroups.com>,
                > > Edward Rubinsky <edrubins@> wrote:

                > > > Are they both configured wit the the same IP address? What
                happens if
                > > > you just power up the second by itself?
                > > >
                > > > Edward Rubinsky
                > > > edrubins@
                > > >

                > > No, they are configured with different static IP addresses.
                > > There aren't problems if only one NSLU2 is up (it doesn't matter which
                > > NSLU2 of them).

              • mau82lo
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 23, 2007
                  Yes, in my case they have different MAC addresses.

                  ZeroByte

                  --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Rod Whitby" <rod@...> wrote:

                  > Do they have different MAC addresses for eth0 reported by ifconfig?
                  > -- Rod
                  > (Apologies for formatting - sent on the road from Treo60)

                • Gordon Farquharson
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 23, 2007
                    On 4/22/07, mau82lo <zerobyte@...> wrote:

                    > I have 2 NSLU2s on the same subnet, updated with the Debian/NSLU2
                    > Stable 4.0r0. When I use only one NSLU2, there aren't problems. When I
                    > power on the other NSLU2, the first hangs up (green led on
                    > Ready/Status, Ethernet and Disk 1. It doesn't respond to ping, so no
                    > SSH), while last powered on works.

                    How are your NSLU2s connected to your network (i.e. through a switch,
                    hub, wireless)? I have two NSLU2s connected to the network through a
                    switch, and I am not able to reproduce the problem.

                    Also, do you see the same problem with a different firmware (e.g.
                    SlugOS) on one or both of the NSLU2s? You can backup a copy of your
                    existing firmware with

                    sudo cat /dev/mtdblock* > firmware.bin

                    and restore the image once you have done the test by uploading
                    firmware.bin with upslug2,

                    sudo upslug2 -i firmware.bin

                    Gordon

                    --
                    Gordon Farquharson
                  • mau82lo
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 23, 2007
                      I tested the 2 NSLU2s in 2 different situations:

                      1- One NSLU2 connected directly to the router and the other NSLU2
                      connected to the router through a switch;
                      2- Both NSLU2 connected directly to the router;

                      but I have the same result.
                      Tonight I will test with another firmware.
                      Thanks,

                      ZeroByte

                      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Farquharson"
                      <gordonfarquharson@...> wrote:

                      > On 4/22/07, mau82lo <zerobyte@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > I have 2 NSLU2s on the same subnet, updated with the Debian/NSLU2
                      > > Stable 4.0r0. When I use only one NSLU2, there aren't problems.
                      When I
                      > > power on the other NSLU2, the first hangs up (green led on
                      > > Ready/Status, Ethernet and Disk 1. It doesn't respond to ping, so no
                      > > SSH), while last powered on works.
                      >
                      > How are your NSLU2s connected to your network (i.e. through a switch,
                      > hub, wireless)? I have two NSLU2s connected to the network through a
                      > switch, and I am not able to reproduce the problem.
                      >
                      > Also, do you see the same problem with a different firmware (e.g.
                      > SlugOS) on one or both of the NSLU2s? You can backup a copy of your
                      > existing firmware with
                      >
                      > sudo cat /dev/mtdblock* > firmware.bin
                      >
                      > and restore the image once you have done the test by uploading
                      > firmware.bin with upslug2,
                      >
                      > sudo upslug2 -i firmware.bin
                      >
                      > Gordon
                      >
                      > --
                      > Gordon Farquharson

                    • mau82lo
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 23, 2007
                        I tested 2 different situations:

                        1) The first NSLU2 connected directly to the router and the other
                        NSLU2 connected to the router through a switch;
                        2) The 2 NSLU2s connected directly to the router;

                        but the result is the same.

                        <gordonfarquharson@...> wrote:

                        > On 4/22/07, mau82lo <zerobyte@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > I have 2 NSLU2s on the same subnet, updated with the Debian/NSLU2
                        > > Stable 4.0r0. When I use only one NSLU2, there aren't problems.
                        When I
                        > > power on the other NSLU2, the first hangs up (green led on
                        > > Ready/Status, Ethernet and Disk 1. It doesn't respond to ping, so no
                        > > SSH), while last powered on works.
                        >
                        > How are your NSLU2s connected to your network (i.e. through a switch,
                        > hub, wireless)? I have two NSLU2s connected to the network through a
                        > switch, and I am not able to reproduce the problem.
                        >
                        > Also, do you see the same problem with a different firmware (e.g.
                        > SlugOS) on one or both of the NSLU2s? You can backup a copy of your
                        > existing firmware with
                        >
                        > sudo cat /dev/mtdblock* > firmware.bin
                        >
                        > and restore the image once you have done the test by uploading
                        > firmware.bin with upslug2,
                        >
                        > sudo upslug2 -i firmware.bin
                        >
                        > Gordon
                        >
                        > --
                        > Gordon Farquharson

                      • Ralph Kling
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 23, 2007

                          That is strange. I have had multiple NSLU2s for a while now, all running on the same subnet off the same switch and never had a problem. They have been running Debian 3.10 and now 4.0 lately. In fact, I only did the lengthy Debian 4.0 installation only once and then cloned them all off the same dd images for the FLASH and the USB disk. All I did to make them unique was to change the hostname to be different afterwards. They use DHCP for getting their IP.

                          - Ralph

                          <gordonfarquharson@ ...> wrote:

                          > On 4/22/07, mau82lo <zerobyte@.. .> wrote:
                          >
                          > > I have 2 NSLU2s on the same subnet, updated with the Debian/NSLU2
                          > > Stable 4.0r0. When I use only one NSLU2, there aren't problems.
                          When I
                          > > power on the other NSLU2, the first hangs up (green led on
                          > > Ready/Status, Ethernet and Disk 1. It doesn't respond to ping, so no
                          > > SSH), while last powered on works.
                          >
                          > How are your NSLU2s connected to your network (i.e. through a switch,
                          > hub, wireless)? I have two NSLU2s connected to the network through a
                          > switch, and I am not able to reproduce the problem.
                          >
                          > Also, do you see the same problem with a different firmware (e.g.
                          > SlugOS) on one or both of the NSLU2s? You can backup a copy of your
                          > existing firmware with
                          >
                          > sudo cat /dev/mtdblock* > firmware.bin
                          >
                          > and restore the image once you have done the test by uploading
                          > firmware.bin with upslug2,
                          >
                          > sudo upslug2 -i firmware.bin
                          >
                          > Gordon
                          >
                          > --
                          > Gordon Farquharson

                        • mau82lo
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 23, 2007
                            Hi Gordon,
                            I have just tried to flash the Unslung-6.8 Beta on one NSLU2. In this
                            situation (one NSLU2 with Debian and the other with Unslung) they work
                            perfectly together. So the problem is when both NSLU2 have the Debian
                            firmware. I have no idea...

                            <gordonfarquharson@...> wrote:

                            > On 4/22/07, mau82lo <zerobyte@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > I have 2 NSLU2s on the same subnet, updated with the Debian/NSLU2
                            > > Stable 4.0r0. When I use only one NSLU2, there aren't problems.
                            When I
                            > > power on the other NSLU2, the first hangs up (green led on
                            > > Ready/Status, Ethernet and Disk 1. It doesn't respond to ping, so no
                            > > SSH), while last powered on works.
                            >
                            > How are your NSLU2s connected to your network (i.e. through a switch,
                            > hub, wireless)? I have two NSLU2s connected to the network through a
                            > switch, and I am not able to reproduce the problem.
                            >
                            > Also, do you see the same problem with a different firmware (e.g.
                            > SlugOS) on one or both of the NSLU2s? You can backup a copy of your
                            > existing firmware with
                            >
                            > sudo cat /dev/mtdblock* > firmware.bin
                            >
                            > and restore the image once you have done the test by uploading
                            > firmware.bin with upslug2,
                            >
                            > sudo upslug2 -i firmware.bin
                            >
                            > Gordon
                            >
                            > --
                            > Gordon Farquharson

                          • Gordon Farquharson
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 23, 2007
                              On 4/23/07, mau82lo <zerobyte@...> wrote:

                              > I have just tried to flash the Unslung-6.8 Beta on one NSLU2. In this
                              > situation (one NSLU2 with Debian and the other with Unslung) they work
                              > perfectly together. So the problem is when both NSLU2 have the Debian
                              > firmware. I have no idea...

                              Thanks for trying out the test. Can you post the output of 'ifconfig'
                              for both of the NSLU2s. I'm not sure that it is going to help, but
                              maybe somebody will spot something. Also, could you configure one or
                              both of the NSLU2s to use a DHCP server to obtain their IP addresses?
                              I'm not sure why it would make a difference though - I'm just throwing
                              out ideas to see if anything changes.

                              Gordon

                              --
                              Gordon Farquharson
                            • mau82lo
                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 24, 2007
                                Hi Gordon,
                                thanks for all! I tried with DHCP, but the result is the same.
                                Now I'm at work and I can't post the "ifconfig".
                                I contacted Martin Michlmayr too. If I know something, I will tell you.
                                Regards,

                                <gordonfarquharson@...> wrote:

                                > Thanks for trying out the test. Can you post the output of 'ifconfig'
                                > for both of the NSLU2s. I'm not sure that it is going to help, but
                                > maybe somebody will spot something. Also, could you configure one or
                                > both of the NSLU2s to use a DHCP server to obtain their IP addresses?
                                > I'm not sure why it would make a difference though - I'm just throwing
                                > out ideas to see if anything changes.
                                >
                                > Gordon
                                >
                                > --
                                > Gordon Farquharson

                              • Martin Michlmayr
                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 24, 2007
                                  * mau82lo <zerobyte@...> [2007-04-24 07:52]:
                                  > thanks for all! I tried with DHCP, but the result is the same.
                                  > Now I'm at work and I can't post the "ifconfig".
                                  > I contacted Martin Michlmayr too. If I know something, I will tell you.

                                  Like I said, you really need a serial console to find out what's going
                                  on here.
                                  --
                                  Martin Michlmayr
                                  http://www.cyrius.com/
                                  Message 16 of 16 , May 30, 2007
                                    I have the same problem after I upgraded 2 of my slug to debian 4.0
                                    this weekend. As soon as the second one boot up, the first one hangs.
                                    Even both have the same base debian installation without any optional
                                    package. I don't have serial console; however, I am sure the problem
                                    is the second Slug that sends "somethings" to hang the first box. I
                                    fired up my protocol analyzer and monitored both boxes. It appears
                                    that the first Slug hangs as soon as the second Slug send an Apple
                                    Zone GetNetInfo request. After I disable AT on the Slug and reboot.
                                    Both boxes are running fine. I believe people have multiple slug
                                    working have the AppleTalk be disabled.

                                    Hope this info help :-)

                                    BTW, can someone update the wiki faq about this. I loss my wiki
                                    password. I may update it if I can get in tonight.

                                    KK.