Warranty Position Statement (Was: newbie problem: NSLU and HDD suddenly not reachable any more!)

    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 9 2:16 AM
      Rob Lockhart wrote:
      > It sounds like some kind of hardware issue with the NSLU2, especially
      > if it did so with the stock firmware. This is more a question to the
      > expert here: if you re-flash with stock NSLU2 firmware, using RedBoot,
      > is it practically indistinguishable from its state when being bought
      > from the store? Who knows, could be a speck of solder spattering over
      > the SDRAM chips or something. If indeed, re-flashing with stock NSLU2
      > firmware does not restore the unit to a factory-like condition (which
      > means you can't return it to the store you bought it), then perhaps
      > your only recourse is to take the unit apart and start inspecting for
      > cold solder joints, solder bridges, mis-aligned components, bent pins,
      > etc. If restoring the stock NSLU2 firmware does return the unit to a
      > factory-like condition, then hopefully you can return the unit to the
      > store and/or to Linksys via RMA.
      >
      > My intuition tells me that you may have voided the warranty anyway,
      > via non-stock firmware upgrade, unfortunately.

      The NSLU2-Linux project's position on this issue is that you should do
      the following before returning a unit under warranty:

      1) Confirm that you have never opened the case
      2) Reset the SysConf partition
      3) Reflash with vendor firmware
      4) Confirm the problem with the vendor firmware

      If you have flashed custom firmware, and are unable to do *all* four of
      the above, then the NSLU2-Linux project's position is that you have
      knowingly voided the warranty, and are not able to put the NSLU2 back
      into a factory configuration, so therefore should *not* expect to be
      able to return it under warranty.

      If you *are* able to perform all four steps (i.e. you've *never* opened
      the case, and you are able to put the NSLU2 back into a factory
      configuration), and a hardware problem still remains, then the
      NSLU2-Linux project has no problem with you exercising your warranty
      rights (whatever they may be in your juridiction).

      Basically, we do not want units going back to Linksys with custom
      firmware on them.

      -- Rod Whitby
      -- NSLU2-Linux Project Lead
    • reddakota2k1
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 9 2:54 PM
        I went ahead and tried the Debian RC2 installer on one of the SLUGs
        that failed with the RC1. So far it seems to be working and it's very
        stable. I'm having trouble with SAMBA, but FTP seems to be working fine.

        Thanks for your suggestions!

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Lockhart" <rlockhar@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > your only recourse is to take the unit apart and start inspecting for
        > cold solder joints, solder bridges, mis-aligned components, bent pins,
        > etc. If restoring the stock NSLU2 firmware does return the unit to a
        > factory-like condition, then hopefully you can return the unit to the
        > store and/or to Linksys via RMA.
        >
        > My intuition tells me that you may have voided the warranty anyway,
        > via non-stock firmware upgrade, unfortunately. I wonder if there are
        > some tests that you can do from RedBoot that would provide a better
        > confidence factor of whether your hardware was bad, like some kind of
        > memory test or perhaps transfer a huge file (32M) to the NSLU2 RAM via
        > tftp (while telnetting to the unit). It looks like you might be able
        > to:
        >
        > http://ecos.sourceware.org/docs-latest/redboot/cksum-command.html
        > Then run the cksum command on the file you transferred, and verify if
        > it is identical.
        >
        > But, I would advise you to be *very very* careful about what memory
        > locations, as you do NOT want to overwrite RedBoot (take it from me).
        > You probably need to do this with uncached space (if I interpret this
        > map correctly):
        > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Info/MemoryMap
        >
        > (from a working linux env or perhaps cygwin):
        > dd if=/dev/urandom of=32MiB.bin bs=1k count=32k (makes a 32MiB file)
        >
        > now, use some of the methods used here:
        > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/ReflashUsingRedbootAndTFTP
        >
        > with the following mods for the load from within RedBoot (NEVER
        touching flash):
        > load -r -v -b 0x20000000 -h 192.168.0.99 32MiB.bin
        > cksum -b 0x20000000 -l 0x2000000
        >
        > (that is supposed to do a checksum against uncached memory, starting
        > at uncached space, and for 32MiB of data).
        >
        > now, verify this against your "cksum 32MiB.bin" on your PC.
        > Luckily, RedBoot is BigEndian so no worries about byte-swapping needed.
        >
        > Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. If not, this would be a
        > welcome addition to the Wiki! :-) A kludgy way to do a RAM test, but
        > if it works...
        >
        > I haven't tried any of this, as my SLUG is busy rsync'ing right now.
        >

        > On 4/7/07, reddakota2k1 <reddakota2k1@...> wrote:
        > > I did follow the Debian install instructions. The 2 that wouldn't
        > > install wouldn't establish an SSH connection, but the third SLUG did
        > > (every time). I haven't tried the RC2 installer.
        > >
        > > As far as the power-down reboot, it wasn't performing a fsck. After
        > > the first power down it startup again, but wouldn't recognize the
        > > drive at all. I could manually mount the drive, but it wouldn't boot
        > > from it. Seems like the same issue with the Linksys stock firmware.
        > >

        > > I have noticed it happened a few times after sending the SLUG a larger
        > > number of files(performing a backup). Perhaps the SLUG is corrupting
        > > the drive during the transfer. I have tried using a few different
        > > hard drives, but it's happened with all of them.

      • Rob Lockhart
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 9 10:49 PM
          On 4/9/2007 5:54 PM EST, reddakota2k1 wrote:
          > I went ahead and tried the Debian RC2 installer on one of the SLUGs
          > that failed with the RC1. So far it seems to be working and it's very
          > stable. I'm having trouble with SAMBA, but FTP seems to be working fine.

          BTW, in regards to the testing of NSLU2 SDRAM from within RedBoot that I
          suggested, I created a Wiki for the stuff in that email:
          http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/TestSDRAMinRedBoot

          Hope it helps someone.

          Regards,
          -Rob
        • Rob Lockhart
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 9 11:43 PM
            On 4/9/2007 5:16 AM EST, Rod Whitby wrote:

            > The NSLU2-Linux project's position on this issue is that you should do
            > the following before returning a unit under warranty:

            This has been added to the Wiki. I wanted to add a link in the "Info"
            Wiki but it's password-protected.

            http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/RevertToLinksysFirmware