Re: Slow as a slug, Confirmed?

  • Phil Endecott
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 7, 2007
      John wrote:
      > I include vmstat results below which show a lot of
      > swapping, particularly during "pass 2" [of fsck].

      That's why it's slow then :-)

      I recall that the problem with the Debian installer on 1GB flash drives
      was the result of excessive memory use from mkfs.ext2. Now here's
      another ext2 program that uses more RAM than the slug can provide.
      Perhaps it would be worthwhile contacting the ext2 people and asking
      for their opinions. It could be, for example, that fsck is
      deliberately using RAM to cache things that it has read from the disk
      in order to run faster; in this case, disabling the caching would be
      appropriate in our case.

      Phil.