Unofficial debian-etch-rc2-20070308 : installer hangs after login via ssh

  • mattkleffner
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 5, 2007
      I recently bought a nslu2 and flashed it with the
      debian-etch-rc2-20070308 installer from
      http://www.slug-firmware.net/d-dls.php

      I didn't send this to the debian list since this firmware contains the
      non-free ethernet microcode.

      Using http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html
      as a guide, I booted the nslu2 and connected to the device via ssh
      through the on-board ethernet:

      ssh installer@192.168.1.77

      If I type the correct password, the terminal screen clears (no color
      change) and the cursor moves to the bottom left of the screen and just
      sits there. I have let it sit for hours with no change. I eventually
      had to close the terminal (I am logging in from a Debian sarge
      machine) as it wouldn't respond to ctrl-c, etc. Once I close the
      terminal, I can open a new one and login via ssh with the same results
      (in other words, the nslu2 is still responsive to connections).

      I have re-flashed the nslu2 with the same results. Has anyone
      experienced this before? Does anyone have any suggestions as to what
      else I should try? I didn't see anything like this in the FAQ section
      of nslu2-linux.org, but I will gladly add the solution if I find one.

      - Matt
    • Gordon Farquharson
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 15, 2007
        Hi Matt

        On 06 Apr 2007 06:59:18 -0700, mattkleffner <mattkleffner@...> wrote:

        > I didn't send this to the debian list since this firmware contains the
        > non-free ethernet microcode.

        debian-arm would have been the proper place for this discussion.

        > If I type the correct password, the terminal screen clears (no color
        > change) and the cursor moves to the bottom left of the screen and just
        > sits there. I have let it sit for hours with no change. I eventually

        Unfortunately, I have never encountered this problem, but I suggest
        that you try reflashing the Linksys firmware, booting the system, and
        then trying again with the Debian Installer image. People have
        reported that this procedure has worked for them in other situations.

        BTW, had you ever booted the system with the Linksys firmware? Also,
        it shouldn't make a difference, but how did you upload the Debian
        Installer firmware?

        Gordon

        --
        Gordon Farquharson