Re: newbie problem: NSLU and HDD suddenly not reachable any more!

  • reddakota2k1
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 4, 2007
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "zeddichus" <zeddichus@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I did unsling my NSLU with the last version 6.8 and she was working
      > quite fine with an external 320 WD HDD.
      >
      > Suddenly 2 days ago she was not reachable any more. not with SSH,
      > Telnet, Webinterface - I was also not able to ping it - and also the
      > HDD was not reachable any more.
      >
      > When I am turning the NSLU on, it boots quite normal (for my ears) and
      > does also beep when she is finished with booting. Also the lights at
      > the HDD blink, as the NSLU seems to write some logs - as normal - to
      > the HDD. And when I turn the NSLU off, she goes down and beeps at the
      > end when she is finished.
      >
      > I do not run any particular software on the NSLU, just Openssh. I use
      > it for backup and storage. And the NSLU has got a fix IP address, I
      > did enter and nothing in my network did change.
      >
      > Can please somebody help me? Do I have to flash the NSLU again? Or do
      > you have any more ideas?
      >
      > Thanks in advance for your help.
      >
      > Best regards
      > Zeddichus

      I have 3 Slugs. This has happened to all three of them repeatedly. I
      have gotten so sick of reslinging, formatting and copy data to and
      from a temp harddrive, then manually modifying all the config files
      just to have simple FTP/SAMBA servers. I have tried Unslung 5.5, 6.8,
      and the Debian installer. Debian doesn't even install on 2 of them,
      which I don't get since it's the same hardware. The 3rd one it
      installs on refuses to connect after a 2 or 3 power ups then it has to
      be reflashed again.

      I've given up, but I hope you find a permanent solution. Good luck!
    • zeddichus
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 6, 2007
        Oh, that does sound bad :-(

        May I ask you, how did you reach your NSLU again?

        I have the problem that it is not visible in my network. I did already
        scan my network with some tools and did not find it. also changing
        the cables and starting with and without the HDD did not help.

        Thanks in advance for your help

        br
        zeddichus

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "reddakota2k1" <reddakota2k1@...>

        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 6, 2007
          I did now scan my network with some tools and I can say that the NSLU
          is not visible in my network. I can see all other computers and
          modem/routers but not the NSLU.

          I did also change the cables and did start with and without the HDD
          but nothing changed.

          As the NSLU starts quite normal for me, can it be that the plug of the
          network cable has some damage? so that it is not visible but can start
          quite normal?

          If this is the case, can I send it in for guarantee?

          br
          zeddichus

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Brian Wood <beww@...> wrote:

          > On Apr 2, 2007, at 3:39 PM, zeddichus wrote:
          >
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > I did unsling my NSLU with the last version 6.8 and she was working
          > > quite fine with an external 320 WD HDD.
          > >
          > > Suddenly 2 days ago she was not reachable any more. not with SSH,
          > > Telnet, Webinterface - I was also not able to ping it - and also the
          > > HDD was not reachable any more.
          > >
          > > When I am turning the NSLU on, it boots quite normal (for my ears) and
          > > does also beep when she is finished with booting. Also the lights at
          > > the HDD blink, as the NSLU seems to write some logs - as normal - to
          > > the HDD. And when I turn the NSLU off, she goes down and beeps at the
          > > end when she is finished.
          > >
          > > I do not run any particular software on the NSLU, just Openssh. I use
          > > it for backup and storage. And the NSLU has got a fix IP address, I
          > > did enter and nothing in my network did change.
          > >
          > > Can please somebody help me? Do I have to flash the NSLU again? Or do
          > > you have any more ideas?
          > >
          > > Thanks in advance for your help.
          >
          > Something changed, whether you are aware of it or not :-)
          >

          > Perhaps something happened to change the IP address of the unit? If
          > you have a way to scan your network you can look for it. If you are
          > not using the default subnet you may have to re-configure a machine
          > to talk to it on its "new" IP.
          >
          > You could also try putting it into upgrade mode with the reset button
          > and using upslu2 to see if it spots the device.
          >
          > Also check the obvious stuff, switch/hub has power, cables are
          > plugged in etc. In my experience something like this is almost
          > something "stupid".
          >
          > If you can't communicate with it you can't reflash it, obviously.
          >
          > The device *may* have simply failed, but it doesn't sound like it
          > from your description of the lights.

        • reddakota2k1
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 6, 2007
            To get my data off my HD I just connected it directly to my Linux box
            then copies the files. But to reconnect to the SLUG via the network I
            had to re-flash it (them)using the SercommFirmwareUpdater on Windows.

            I don't know if that answers your question.

            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 6, 2007
              zeddichus wrote:
              > As the NSLU starts quite normal for me, can it be that the plug of the
              > network cable has some damage? so that it is not visible but can start
              > quite normal?
              >
              > If this is the case, can I send it in for guarantee?

              Only if you haven't opened the case, and put the vendor firmware back on
              it beforehand.

              Sending an NSLU2 running custom firmware back for warranty replacement
              is not good for this project. Remember that from Linksys's point of
              view, as soon as you flash custom firmware you have voided your warranty.

              -- Rod
            • reddakota2k1
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 6, 2007
                I had some free time today, so I decided to give the Linksys stock
                firmware another try. It was working great. FTP - working. SAMBA
                working. Then I restarted it... "Drive Not Formatted". I guess the
                SLUGs work great if you leave them on all the time. But if your power
                goes out your screwed.

                wrote:

                > To get my data off my HD I just connected it directly to my Linux box
                > then copies the files. But to reconnect to the SLUG via the network I
                > had to re-flash it (them)using the SercommFirmwareUpdater on Windows.
                >
                > I don't know if that answers your question.
                >
                > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "zeddichus" <zeddichus@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Oh, that does sound bad :-(
                > >
                > > May I ask you, how did you reach your NSLU again?
                > >
                > > I have the problem that it is not visible in my network. I did already
                > > scan my network with some tools and did not find it. also changing
                > > the cables and starting with and without the HDD did not help.
                > >
                > > Thanks in advance for your help
                > >
                > > br
                > > zeddichus
                > >

                > > > I have 3 Slugs. This has happened to all three of them
                repeatedly. I
                > > > have gotten so sick of reslinging, formatting and copy data to and
                > > > from a temp harddrive, then manually modifying all the config files
                > > > just to have simple FTP/SAMBA servers. I have tried Unslung
                5.5, 6.8,
                > > > and the Debian installer. Debian doesn't even install on 2 of them,
                > > > which I don't get since it's the same hardware. The 3rd one it
                > > > installs on refuses to connect after a 2 or 3 power ups then it
                has to
                > > > be reflashed again.
                > > >
                > > > I've given up, but I hope you find a permanent solution. Good luck!

              • Rob Lockhart
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 6, 2007
                  I don't understand what you said below, "and the Debian installer.  Debian doesn't even install on two of them."  This is quite odd.  Presumably, you followed these instructions right:  http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html .  I actually upgrade using RedBoot using Cygwin, and a freeware TFTP server http://tftpd32.jounin.net with an ethernet switch (not necessary but keeps the PC link from going up/down when using a crossover cable directly to the NSLU2).  There is an option in D-I to preserve your existing partitions during the install (manual partition), and with that you could also ssh in (in addition to the ssh for the installer) and chmod/chown/etc. whatever partitions you need, if necessary for read/write access (shouldn't be though).

                  If the power does go out and is restored, there is some kind of countdown timer (as part of most linux distributions) that, after so many reboots, an "fsck" is done of your HDDs.  That may take a bit of time, especially with larger HDDs that are near capacity.  Sure, you may lose files if they were in the process of being transferred, but fsck should clean all of these up.  Problems of access shouldn't be happening, unless there are so many errors that fsck requires you to login as root and fix them manually ( i.e., via "fsck -y" or other such parameters).  This may happen with any linux distribution, with the intent to do less harm than good ("fsck" can be harmful, but if the data is already corrupted, what can it hurt).

                  On a previous install of D-I RC1, sometimes the HDDs wouldn't be recognized when booting.  I think this was an issue of the USB HDD.  I replaced it, and never had a problem like that since.

                  wrote:

                  > To get my data off my HD I just connected it directly to my Linux box
                  > then copies the files.  But to reconnect to the SLUG via the network I
                  > had to re-flash it (them)using the SercommFirmwareUpdater on Windows.
                  >
                  > I don't know if that answers your question.
                  >
                  > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "zeddichus" <zeddichus@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Oh, that does sound bad :-(
                  > >
                  > > May I ask you, how did you reach your NSLU again?
                  > >
                  > > I have the problem that it is not visible in my network. I did already
                  > > scan my network  with some tools and did not find it. also changing
                  > > the cables and starting with and without the HDD did not help.
                  > >
                  > > Thanks in advance for your help
                  > >
                  > > br
                  > > zeddichus
                  > >

                  > > > I have 3 Slugs.  This has happened to all three of them
                  > > > repeatedly.  I have gotten so sick of reslinging, formatting and
                  > > > copy data to and from a temp harddrive, then manually
                  > > > modifying all the config files just to have simple FTP/SAMBA
                  > > > servers.  I have tried Unslung 5.5, 6.8, and the Debian installer.
                  > > > Debian doesn't even install on 2 of them,
                  > > > which I don't get since it's the same hardware.  The 3rd one it
                  > > > installs on refuses to connect after a 2 or 3 power ups then it
                  > > > has to be reflashed again.

                • reddakota2k1
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 7, 2007
                    I did follow the Debian install instructions. The 2 that wouldn't
                    install wouldn't establish an SSH connection, but the third SLUG did
                    (every time). I haven't tried the RC2 installer.

                    As far as the power-down reboot, it wasn't performing a fsck. After
                    the first power down it startup again, but wouldn't recognize the
                    drive at all. I could manually mount the drive, but it wouldn't boot
                    from it. Seems like the same issue with the Linksys stock firmware.

                    I have noticed it happened a few times after sending the SLUG a larger
                    number of files(performing a backup). Perhaps the SLUG is corrupting
                    the drive during the transfer. I have tried using a few different
                    hard drives, but it's happened with all of them.

                    Thanks for your help anyway!

                    --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Lockhart" <rlockhar@...> wrote:

                    > I don't understand what you said below, "and the Debian installer.
                    Debian
                    > doesn't even install on two of them." This is quite odd.
                    Presumably, you
                    > followed these instructions right:
                    > http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html . I actually
                    upgrade using
                    > RedBoot using Cygwin, and a freeware TFTP server
                    > http://tftpd32.jounin.netwith an ethernet switch (not necessary but
                    > keeps the PC link from going
                    > up/down when using a crossover cable directly to the NSLU2). There
                    is an
                    > option in D-I to preserve your existing partitions during the install
                    > (manual partition), and with that you could also ssh in (in addition
                    to the
                    > ssh for the installer) and chmod/chown/etc. whatever partitions you
                    need, if
                    > necessary for read/write access (shouldn't be though).
                    >
                    > If the power does go out and is restored, there is some kind of
                    countdown
                    > timer (as part of most linux distributions) that, after so many
                    reboots, an
                    > "fsck" is done of your HDDs. That may take a bit of time,
                    especially with
                    > larger HDDs that are near capacity. Sure, you may lose files if
                    they were
                    > in the process of being transferred, but fsck should clean all of
                    these up.
                    > Problems of access shouldn't be happening, unless there are so many
                    errors
                    > that fsck requires you to login as root and fix them manually (i.e., via
                    > "fsck -y" or other such parameters). This may happen with any linux
                    > distribution, with the intent to do less harm than good ("fsck" can be
                    > harmful, but if the data is already corrupted, what can it hurt).
                    >
                    > On a previous install of D-I RC1, sometimes the HDDs wouldn't be
                    recognized
                    > when booting. I think this was an issue of the USB HDD. I replaced
                    it, and
                    > never had a problem like that since.
                    >

                    > On 4/6/07, reddakota2k1 <reddakota2k1@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I had some free time today, so I decided to give the Linksys stock
                    > > firmware another try. It was working great. FTP - working. SAMBA
                    > > working. Then I restarted it... "Drive Not Formatted". I guess the
                    > > SLUGs work great if you leave them on all the time. But if your power
                    > > goes out your screwed.
                    > >
                    > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "reddakota2k1" <reddakota2k1@>
                    > > wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > To get my data off my HD I just connected it directly to my
                    Linux box
                    > > > then copies the files. But to reconnect to the SLUG via the
                    network I
                    > > > had to re-flash it (them)using the SercommFirmwareUpdater on
                    Windows.

                    > > > I don't know if that answers your question.

                  • zeddichus
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 7, 2007

                      I did have some time left and did find the problem. The Samba server
                      did crash and so it did go back to its default IP address. I could
                      reach it with this one. but when i try to change it, i get this error
                      message: "Error: Fail to get samba information". As the NSLU cannot
                      reach the internet because of its default settings, i cannot use ipgk
                      update. and changing anything on the webinterface, results in this
                      information. also a forced reinstall does not work :-(

                      what do i have to do to reinstall samba? or should i flash it again
                      completely? or shoud i import some backup, which i did when it was
                      running?

                      br
                      zeddichus

                    • Adam Ward
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 7, 2007
                        On Saturday 07 April 2007 20:20, zeddichus wrote:
                        > Hi,
                        >
                        > I did have some time left and did find the problem. The Samba server
                        > did crash and so it did go back to its default IP address. I could
                        > reach it with this one. but when i try to change it, i get this error
                        > message: "Error: Fail to get samba information". As the NSLU cannot
                        > reach the internet because of its default settings, i cannot use ipgk
                        > update. and changing anything on the webinterface, results in this
                        > information. also a forced reinstall does not work :-(
                        >
                        > what do i have to do to reinstall samba? or should i flash it again
                        > completely? or shoud i import some backup, which i did when it was
                        > running?

                        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/FailSambaInformation
                        I had an odd flashing problem with OpenSlug, and this fixed it.
                        Do yourself a favour and get a cross-over cable first.
                      • Rob Lockhart
                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 7, 2007
                          It sounds like some kind of hardware issue with the NSLU2, especially
                          if it did so with the stock firmware. This is more a question to the
                          expert here: if you re-flash with stock NSLU2 firmware, using RedBoot,
                          is it practically indistinguishable from its state when being bought
                          from the store? Who knows, could be a speck of solder spattering over
                          the SDRAM chips or something. If indeed, re-flashing with stock NSLU2
                          firmware does not restore the unit to a factory-like condition (which
                          means you can't return it to the store you bought it), then perhaps
                          your only recourse is to take the unit apart and start inspecting for
                          cold solder joints, solder bridges, mis-aligned components, bent pins,
                          etc. If restoring the stock NSLU2 firmware does return the unit to a
                          factory-like condition, then hopefully you can return the unit to the
                          store and/or to Linksys via RMA.

                          My intuition tells me that you may have voided the warranty anyway,
                          via non-stock firmware upgrade, unfortunately. I wonder if there are
                          some tests that you can do from RedBoot that would provide a better
                          confidence factor of whether your hardware was bad, like some kind of
                          memory test or perhaps transfer a huge file (32M) to the NSLU2 RAM via
                          tftp (while telnetting to the unit). It looks like you might be able
                          to:

                          http://ecos.sourceware.org/docs-latest/redboot/cksum-command.html
                          Then run the cksum command on the file you transferred, and verify if
                          it is identical.

                          But, I would advise you to be *very very* careful about what memory
                          locations, as you do NOT want to overwrite RedBoot (take it from me).
                          You probably need to do this with uncached space (if I interpret this
                          map correctly):
                          http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Info/MemoryMap

                          (from a working linux env or perhaps cygwin):
                          dd if=/dev/urandom of=32MiB.bin bs=1k count=32k (makes a 32MiB file)

                          now, use some of the methods used here:
                          http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/ReflashUsingRedbootAndTFTP

                          with the following mods for the load from within RedBoot (NEVER touching flash):
                          load -r -v -b 0x20000000 -h 192.168.0.99 32MiB.bin
                          cksum -b 0x20000000 -l 0x2000000

                          (that is supposed to do a checksum against uncached memory, starting
                          at uncached space, and for 32MiB of data).

                          now, verify this against your "cksum 32MiB.bin" on your PC.
                          Luckily, RedBoot is BigEndian so no worries about byte-swapping needed.

                          Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. If not, this would be a
                          welcome addition to the Wiki! :-) A kludgy way to do a RAM test, but
                          if it works...

                          I haven't tried any of this, as my SLUG is busy rsync'ing right now.

                          On 4/7/07, reddakota2k1 <reddakota2k1@...> wrote:
                          > I did follow the Debian install instructions. The 2 that wouldn't
                          > install wouldn't establish an SSH connection, but the third SLUG did
                          > (every time). I haven't tried the RC2 installer.
                          >
                          > As far as the power-down reboot, it wasn't performing a fsck. After
                          > the first power down it startup again, but wouldn't recognize the
                          > drive at all. I could manually mount the drive, but it wouldn't boot
                          > from it. Seems like the same issue with the Linksys stock firmware.
                          >

                          > I have noticed it happened a few times after sending the SLUG a larger
                          > number of files(performing a backup). Perhaps the SLUG is corrupting
                          > the drive during the transfer. I have tried using a few different
                          > hard drives, but it's happened with all of them.
                          >
                          > Thanks for your help anyway!

                        • Rob Lockhart
                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 7, 2007
                            Some corrections... this time, I tried it and verified it works.
                            Once you're in RedBoot, type "version" as shown below.

                            RedBoot> version

                            RedBoot(tm) bootstrap and debug environment [ROMRAM]
                            Red Hat certified release, version 1.92 - built 15:16:07, Feb 3 2004

                            Platform: IXDP425 Development Platform (XScale)
                            Copyright (C) 2000, 2001, 2002, Red Hat, Inc.

                            RAM: 0x00000000-0x02000000, 0x000723a0-0x01ff3000 available
                            FLASH: 0x50000000 - 0x50800000, 64 blocks of 0x00020000 bytes each.

                            From the available RAM space (shown above),
                            0x01ff3000 - 0x000723a0 = 0x01F80C60
                            in decimal, the result is: 33033312

                            in Linux or cygwin, do this:
                            dd if=/dev/urandom of=RamTest.bin bs=32 count=1032291
                            (do a "ls -la RamTest.bin" if you want to verify size)
                            cksum RamTest.bin
                            (output for me showed: "163853644 33033312 RamTest.bin")

                            Copy the file to your TFTP server. Now in RedBoot, do this:
                            (assume your TFTP server is 192.168.0.99)
                            RedBoot> load -r -v -b 0x000723a0 -h 192.168.0.99 RamTest.bin
                            output shows:
                            Raw file loaded 0x000723a0-0x01ff2fff, assumed entry at 0x000723a0
                            RedBoot> cksum
                            (above should do a checksum of the previously transferred file)
                            Computing cksum for area 0x000723a0-0x01ff3000
                            POSIX cksum = 163853644 33033312 (0x09c4354c 0x01f80c60)

                            Just to be sure, I did it again, manually, as follows:
                            RedBoot> cksum -b 0x000723a0 -l 0x01f80c60
                            POSIX cksum = 163853644 33033312 (0x09c4354c 0x01f80c60)

                            Now it matched. So my SDRAM memory must be good. :-)
                            Note that for some reason, I couldn't access (from within RedBoot) the
                            entire 32MiB RAM. Perhaps some env vars or such are stored there and
                            are in-use?

                            -Rob

                            On 4/7/07, Rob Lockhart <rlockhar@...> wrote:
                            > http://ecos.sourceware.org/docs-latest/redboot/cksum-command.html
                            > Then run the cksum command on the file you transferred, and verify if
                            > it is identical.
                            >
                            > But, I would advise you to be *very very* careful about what memory
                            > locations, as you do NOT want to overwrite RedBoot (take it from me).
                            > You probably need to do this with uncached space (if I interpret this
                            > map correctly):
                            > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Info/MemoryMap
                            >
                            > (from a working linux env or perhaps cygwin):
                            > dd if=/dev/urandom of=32MiB.bin bs=1k count=32k (makes a 32MiB file)
                            >
                            > now, use some of the methods used here:
                            > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/ReflashUsingRedbootAndTFTP
                            >
                            > with the following mods for the load from within RedBoot (NEVER touching flash):
                            > load -r -v -b 0x20000000 -h 192.168.0.99 32MiB.bin
                            > cksum -b 0x20000000 -l 0x2000000
                            >
                            > (that is supposed to do a checksum against uncached memory, starting
                            > at uncached space, and for 32MiB of data).
                            >
                            > now, verify this against your "cksum 32MiB.bin" on your PC.
                            > Luckily, RedBoot is BigEndian so no worries about byte-swapping needed.
                            >
                            > Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. If not, this would be a
                            > welcome addition to the Wiki! :-) A kludgy way to do a RAM test, but
                            > if it works...
                            >
                            > I haven't tried any of this, as my SLUG is busy rsync'ing right now.
                            >

                            > On 4/7/07, reddakota2k1 <reddakota2k1@...> wrote:
                            > > I did follow the Debian install instructions. The 2 that wouldn't
                            > > install wouldn't establish an SSH connection, but the third SLUG did
                            > > (every time). I haven't tried the RC2 installer.
                            > >
                            > > As far as the power-down reboot, it wasn't performing a fsck. After
                            > > the first power down it startup again, but wouldn't recognize the
                            > > drive at all. I could manually mount the drive, but it wouldn't boot
                            > > from it. Seems like the same issue with the Linksys stock firmware.
                            > >

                            > > I have noticed it happened a few times after sending the SLUG a larger
                            > > number of files(performing a backup). Perhaps the SLUG is corrupting
                            > > the drive during the transfer. I have tried using a few different
                            > > hard drives, but it's happened with all of them.
                            > >
                            > > Thanks for your help anyway!

                          • Rob Lockhart
                            Message 13 of 20 , Apr 7, 2007
                              I used to have problems similar to that, when using rsync from within
                              cygwin, to my linux server (on a PC). Ended up being the hard drive
                              needed more current than the USB enclosure could deliver, and thus I'd
                              hear horrific "click" sounds as the hard drive seemed to be being
                              powered up and down, over and over. I went to a better enclosure, and
                              that specific problem went away. This was on some Seagate 320GB HDDs,
                              FWIW. I'm not sure if /var/log/messages would show those kinds of
                              problems (especially if the drive being used for / was having those
                              problems).

                              Message 14 of 20 , Apr 9, 2007
                                Rob Lockhart wrote:
                                > It sounds like some kind of hardware issue with the NSLU2, especially
                                > if it did so with the stock firmware. This is more a question to the
                                > expert here: if you re-flash with stock NSLU2 firmware, using RedBoot,
                                > is it practically indistinguishable from its state when being bought
                                > from the store? Who knows, could be a speck of solder spattering over
                                > the SDRAM chips or something. If indeed, re-flashing with stock NSLU2
                                > firmware does not restore the unit to a factory-like condition (which
                                > means you can't return it to the store you bought it), then perhaps
                                > your only recourse is to take the unit apart and start inspecting for
                                > cold solder joints, solder bridges, mis-aligned components, bent pins,
                                > etc. If restoring the stock NSLU2 firmware does return the unit to a
                                > factory-like condition, then hopefully you can return the unit to the
                                > store and/or to Linksys via RMA.
                                >
                                > My intuition tells me that you may have voided the warranty anyway,
                                > via non-stock firmware upgrade, unfortunately.

                                The NSLU2-Linux project's position on this issue is that you should do
                                the following before returning a unit under warranty:

                                1) Confirm that you have never opened the case
                                2) Reset the SysConf partition
                                3) Reflash with vendor firmware
                                4) Confirm the problem with the vendor firmware

                                If you have flashed custom firmware, and are unable to do *all* four of
                                the above, then the NSLU2-Linux project's position is that you have
                                knowingly voided the warranty, and are not able to put the NSLU2 back
                                into a factory configuration, so therefore should *not* expect to be
                                able to return it under warranty.

                                If you *are* able to perform all four steps (i.e. you've *never* opened
                                the case, and you are able to put the NSLU2 back into a factory
                                configuration), and a hardware problem still remains, then the
                                NSLU2-Linux project has no problem with you exercising your warranty
                                rights (whatever they may be in your juridiction).

                                Basically, we do not want units going back to Linksys with custom
                                firmware on them.

                                -- Rod Whitby
                                -- NSLU2-Linux Project Lead
                              • reddakota2k1
                                Message 15 of 20 , Apr 9, 2007
                                  I went ahead and tried the Debian RC2 installer on one of the SLUGs
                                  that failed with the RC1. So far it seems to be working and it's very
                                  stable. I'm having trouble with SAMBA, but FTP seems to be working fine.

                                  Thanks for your suggestions!

                                • Rob Lockhart
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Apr 9, 2007
                                    On 4/9/2007 5:54 PM EST, reddakota2k1 wrote:
                                    > I went ahead and tried the Debian RC2 installer on one of the SLUGs
                                    > that failed with the RC1. So far it seems to be working and it's very
                                    > stable. I'm having trouble with SAMBA, but FTP seems to be working fine.

                                    BTW, in regards to the testing of NSLU2 SDRAM from within RedBoot that I
                                    suggested, I created a Wiki for the stuff in that email:
                                    http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/TestSDRAMinRedBoot

                                    Hope it helps someone.

                                    Regards,
                                    -Rob
                                  • Rob Lockhart
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Apr 9, 2007
                                      On 4/9/2007 5:16 AM EST, Rod Whitby wrote:

                                      > The NSLU2-Linux project's position on this issue is that you should do
                                      > the following before returning a unit under warranty:

                                      This has been added to the Wiki. I wanted to add a link in the "Info"
                                      Wiki but it's password-protected.

                                      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/RevertToLinksysFirmware