Re: PC backup: slow as a slug? [was: rsync does not log files transfered

  • Phil Endecott
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 4, 2007
      Tim wrote:
      > with rsync the entire modified files are transferred correct?

      Incorrect. The whole point of rsync is that it will identify portions
      of the new file that were also present in the old file and not transmit them.

      Phil.
    • Dave_Hrynkiw
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 4, 2007
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, John <jl.050877@...> wrote:

        > Dave,
        >
        > Interesting. According to its web description, rdiff-backup
        > avoids the painfully slow "cp -a --link" step that bogs down rsnapshot
        > on my slug.
        >
        > How long does e2fsck take on your slug?

        320G in about 1/2 an hour. It's live, so I ran it with "-n". Here's
        the output:

        slug:/mnt/320g# time e2fsck -n /dev/sda3
        e2fsck 1.40-WIP (14-Nov-2006)
        Warning! /dev/sda3 is mounted.
        Warning: skipping journal recovery because doing a read-only
        filesystem check.
        /dev/sda3 contains a file system with errors, check forced.
        Pass 2: Checking directory structure
        Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
        /lost+found not found. Create? no

        Pass 4: Checking reference counts
        Pass 5: Checking group summary information
        Free blocks count wrong (39320982, counted=37929442).
        Fix? no

        Free inodes count wrong (38622333, counted=38575121).
        Fix? no

        /dev/sda3: ********** WARNING: Filesystem still has errors **********

        /dev/sda3: 306051/38928384 files (3.1% non-contiguous),
        38513943/77834925 blocks

        real 31m49.403s
        user 5m21.800s
        sys 7m44.290s