Slug haivng access issues

  • Sean Butler
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 3, 2007
      My slug has been plugged in and running for sometime. About the only
      thing I do is rsync to it these days, and since I got an Apple Extreme
      Base Station a couple months ago and set up a 500GB Airdisk on it, I had
      not been checking on the slug. Well I went to check it today and could
      not ssh in, though I could ping it.

      I power cycled it, and then could not longer ping it at all.

      So I power cycled it again with no disks attached, and then I could ping
      it, and I was able to get to it via the web interface and enable telnet.

      But telnet fails, if I don't have a drive on, or if I try to plug and
      play a drive, with this:

      ----
      telnet 192.168.15.4
      2sparrows-NAS login: admin
      Password:
      No directory, logging in with HOME=/
      Cannot execute /dev/null: Permission denied

      Connection to host lost.
      ----

      First I thought it must be a disk full issue, but the web interface
      shows this:

      ---
      Server Name: 2sparrows-NAS
      Version: V-uNSLUng-5.5-beta
      IP Address:
      Disk 1: Ready, 150058MB (15% Free)
      Disk 2/Flash: Not Installed
      ---

      At 1st the web interface said URL not found for disk 1, but after a
      while, it started to work.

      But I can't telnet in (and I think that is b/c the pw's change once you
      attach a drive), and I still can't ssh in anymore. It appears ssh is
      not running, as telneting to port 22 doesn't work -- fails with
      connection failed.

      So, any thoughts on recovering it? To be honest, the AirDisk is working
      so well I don't even know if I'll continue to use the slug anymore, but
      at least getting in and poking around to see what kind of state it is in
      may not be a bad idea.

      /Sean
    • Sean Butler
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 6, 2007
        Anyone have any thoughts on the note below? I'm just not sure how to
        troubleshoot it without console access...

        Thanks,
        Sean

        Sean Butler said the following on 4/3/2007 11:05 AM:

        > My slug has been plugged in and running for sometime. About the only
        > thing I do is rsync to it these days, and since I got an Apple Extreme
        > Base Station a couple months ago and set up a 500GB Airdisk on it, I had
        > not been checking on the slug. Well I went to check it today and could
        > not ssh in, though I could ping it.
        >
        > I power cycled it, and then could not longer ping it at all.
        >
        > So I power cycled it again with no disks attached, and then I could ping
        > it, and I was able to get to it via the web interface and enable telnet.
        >
        > But telnet fails, if I don't have a drive on, or if I try to plug and
        > play a drive, with this:
        >
        > ----
        > telnet 192.168.15.4
        > 2sparrows-NAS login: admin
        > Password:
        > No directory, logging in with HOME=/
        > Cannot execute /dev/null: Permission denied
        >
        > Connection to host lost.
        > ----
        >
        > First I thought it must be a disk full issue, but the web interface
        > shows this:
        >
        > ---
        > Server Name: 2sparrows-NAS
        > Version: V-uNSLUng-5.5-beta
        > IP Address:
        > Disk 1: Ready, 150058MB (15% Free)
        > Disk 2/Flash: Not Installed
        > ---
        >
        > At 1st the web interface said URL not found for disk 1, but after a
        > while, it started to work.
        >
        > But I can't telnet in (and I think that is b/c the pw's change once you
        > attach a drive), and I still can't ssh in anymore. It appears ssh is
        > not running, as telneting to port 22 doesn't work -- fails with
        > connection failed.
        >
        > So, any thoughts on recovering it? To be honest, the AirDisk is working
        > so well I don't even know if I'll continue to use the slug anymore, but
        > at least getting in and poking around to see what kind of state it is in
        > may not be a bad idea.
        >
        > /Sean
      • Mike (mwester)
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 6, 2007
          You can't login as admin; that's a web-only account. Login as root instead.
          So the text below is expected.

          > > telnet 192.168.15.4
          > > 2sparrows-NAS login: admin
          > > Password:
          > > No directory, logging in with HOME=/
          > > Cannot execute /dev/null: Permission denied
          > >
          > > Connection to host lost.

          The technique for recovering this is documented on the wiki somewhere.
          Basically, you start the NSLU2 without disks. Login via telnet. Plug in
          the disk. Wait a minute for the Linksys firmware to do its bit.

          Now you can do the requisite maintenance.

          If the drive is mounted properly, then you see examine the log files or
          modify files as necessary. If the drive is not mounted, then check the log
          files to find out why -- most commonly the problem is that the disk has
          become corrupted (the Linksys firmware does not do a proper shutdown, it's
          shutdown is basically a controlled crash).

          In any case, it's wise to see if you can run fsck on the drives. Unmount
          them if mounted, then run fsck -f /dev/sda1 (a2, b1, b2, etc as necessary).

          Mike (mwester)