newbie problem: NSLU and HDD suddenly not reachable any more!

  • zeddichus
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 2, 2007
      Hi,

      I did unsling my NSLU with the last version 6.8 and she was working
      quite fine with an external 320 WD HDD.

      Suddenly 2 days ago she was not reachable any more. not with SSH,
      Telnet, Webinterface - I was also not able to ping it - and also the
      HDD was not reachable any more.

      When I am turning the NSLU on, it boots quite normal (for my ears) and
      does also beep when she is finished with booting. Also the lights at
      the HDD blink, as the NSLU seems to write some logs - as normal - to
      the HDD. And when I turn the NSLU off, she goes down and beeps at the
      end when she is finished.

      I do not run any particular software on the NSLU, just Openssh. I use
      it for backup and storage. And the NSLU has got a fix IP address, I
      did enter and nothing in my network did change.

      Can please somebody help me? Do I have to flash the NSLU again? Or do
      you have any more ideas?

      Thanks in advance for your help.

      Best regards
      Zeddichus
    • Brian Wood
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 2, 2007
        On Apr 2, 2007, at 3:39 PM, zeddichus wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I did unsling my NSLU with the last version 6.8 and she was working
        > quite fine with an external 320 WD HDD.
        >
        > Suddenly 2 days ago she was not reachable any more. not with SSH,
        > Telnet, Webinterface - I was also not able to ping it - and also the
        > HDD was not reachable any more.
        >
        > When I am turning the NSLU on, it boots quite normal (for my ears) and
        > does also beep when she is finished with booting. Also the lights at
        > the HDD blink, as the NSLU seems to write some logs - as normal - to
        > the HDD. And when I turn the NSLU off, she goes down and beeps at the
        > end when she is finished.
        >
        > I do not run any particular software on the NSLU, just Openssh. I use
        > it for backup and storage. And the NSLU has got a fix IP address, I
        > did enter and nothing in my network did change.
        >
        > Can please somebody help me? Do I have to flash the NSLU again? Or do
        > you have any more ideas?
        >
        > Thanks in advance for your help.

        Something changed, whether you are aware of it or not :-)

        Perhaps something happened to change the IP address of the unit? If
        you have a way to scan your network you can look for it. If you are
        not using the default subnet you may have to re-configure a machine
        to talk to it on its "new" IP.

        You could also try putting it into upgrade mode with the reset button
        and using upslu2 to see if it spots the device.

        Also check the obvious stuff, switch/hub has power, cables are
        plugged in etc. In my experience something like this is almost
        something "stupid".

        If you can't communicate with it you can't reflash it, obviously.

        The device *may* have simply failed, but it doesn't sound like it
        from your description of the lights.
      • zeddichus
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 4, 2007
          Hi,

          I did recheck it yesterday and the cables and everything are fine. I
          did also recheck my network settings and they also have not been
          changed - also not from the provider.

          I did connect the HDD to my Windows PC and I could read from the HDD
          with this tool: http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/explore2fs.htm
          I did also try several ext3-for-windows-XP drivers and they recognized
          the partitions, but not the content. they always complained that the
          partitions are not formatted. Do you know a driver, so I can also get
          some writing access to the partitions?

          Btw. there are 3 partitions on the HDD: 2x 177 MB for Linux Swap (done
          by the NSLU) and 1x 300 gig (done by me). And I have seen with the
          tool above that all 3 partitions are full?!?!? Can it be that the NSLU
          has to create some files during its start and as the HDD is full, it
          cannot create them and so is not reachable?

          Do you know a tool I can scan my network with and which works with
          Windows and recognizes the NSLU?

          And when I start the NSLU without the HDD attached, is it starting
          with the internal Cache files? Do you know to what IP adress it is
          going then? The one I did enter as I did set it up or another one?

          I did also try to reach the NSLU from work with SSH, but it was also
          not reachable (I did think maybe it is a problem only internally).

          Br
          Zeddichus

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Brian Wood <beww@...> wrote:

          > On Apr 2, 2007, at 3:39 PM, zeddichus wrote:
          >
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > I did unsling my NSLU with the last version 6.8 and she was working
          > > quite fine with an external 320 WD HDD.
          > >
          > > Suddenly 2 days ago she was not reachable any more. not with SSH,
          > > Telnet, Webinterface - I was also not able to ping it - and also the
          > > HDD was not reachable any more.
          > >
          > > When I am turning the NSLU on, it boots quite normal (for my ears) and
          > > does also beep when she is finished with booting. Also the lights at
          > > the HDD blink, as the NSLU seems to write some logs - as normal - to
          > > the HDD. And when I turn the NSLU off, she goes down and beeps at the
          > > end when she is finished.
          > >
          > > I do not run any particular software on the NSLU, just Openssh. I use
          > > it for backup and storage. And the NSLU has got a fix IP address, I
          > > did enter and nothing in my network did change.
          > >
          > > Can please somebody help me? Do I have to flash the NSLU again? Or do
          > > you have any more ideas?
          > >
          > > Thanks in advance for your help.
          >
          > Something changed, whether you are aware of it or not :-)
          >

          > Perhaps something happened to change the IP address of the unit? If
          > you have a way to scan your network you can look for it. If you are
          > not using the default subnet you may have to re-configure a machine
          > to talk to it on its "new" IP.
          >
          > You could also try putting it into upgrade mode with the reset button
          > and using upslu2 to see if it spots the device.
          >
          > Also check the obvious stuff, switch/hub has power, cables are
          > plugged in etc. In my experience something like this is almost
          > something "stupid".
          >
          > If you can't communicate with it you can't reflash it, obviously.
          >
          > The device *may* have simply failed, but it doesn't sound like it
          > from your description of the lights.

        • reddakota2k1
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 4, 2007
            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "zeddichus" <zeddichus@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > I did unsling my NSLU with the last version 6.8 and she was working
            > quite fine with an external 320 WD HDD.
            >
            > Suddenly 2 days ago she was not reachable any more. not with SSH,
            > Telnet, Webinterface - I was also not able to ping it - and also the
            > HDD was not reachable any more.
            >
            > When I am turning the NSLU on, it boots quite normal (for my ears) and
            > does also beep when she is finished with booting. Also the lights at
            > the HDD blink, as the NSLU seems to write some logs - as normal - to
            > the HDD. And when I turn the NSLU off, she goes down and beeps at the
            > end when she is finished.
            >
            > I do not run any particular software on the NSLU, just Openssh. I use
            > it for backup and storage. And the NSLU has got a fix IP address, I
            > did enter and nothing in my network did change.
            >
            > Can please somebody help me? Do I have to flash the NSLU again? Or do
            > you have any more ideas?
            >
            > Thanks in advance for your help.
            >
            > Best regards
            > Zeddichus

            I have 3 Slugs. This has happened to all three of them repeatedly. I
            have gotten so sick of reslinging, formatting and copy data to and
            from a temp harddrive, then manually modifying all the config files
            just to have simple FTP/SAMBA servers. I have tried Unslung 5.5, 6.8,
            and the Debian installer. Debian doesn't even install on 2 of them,
            which I don't get since it's the same hardware. The 3rd one it
            installs on refuses to connect after a 2 or 3 power ups then it has to
            be reflashed again.

            I've given up, but I hope you find a permanent solution. Good luck!
          • zeddichus
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 6, 2007
              Oh, that does sound bad :-(

              May I ask you, how did you reach your NSLU again?

              I have the problem that it is not visible in my network. I did already
              scan my network with some tools and did not find it. also changing
              the cables and starting with and without the HDD did not help.

              Thanks in advance for your help

              br
              zeddichus

              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "reddakota2k1" <reddakota2k1@...>

              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 6, 2007
                I did now scan my network with some tools and I can say that the NSLU
                is not visible in my network. I can see all other computers and
                modem/routers but not the NSLU.

                I did also change the cables and did start with and without the HDD
                but nothing changed.

                As the NSLU starts quite normal for me, can it be that the plug of the
                network cable has some damage? so that it is not visible but can start
                quite normal?

                If this is the case, can I send it in for guarantee?

                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 6, 2007
                  To get my data off my HD I just connected it directly to my Linux box
                  then copies the files. But to reconnect to the SLUG via the network I
                  had to re-flash it (them)using the SercommFirmwareUpdater on Windows.

                  I don't know if that answers your question.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 6, 2007
                    zeddichus wrote:
                    > As the NSLU starts quite normal for me, can it be that the plug of the
                    > network cable has some damage? so that it is not visible but can start
                    > quite normal?
                    >
                    > If this is the case, can I send it in for guarantee?

                    Only if you haven't opened the case, and put the vendor firmware back on
                    it beforehand.

                    Sending an NSLU2 running custom firmware back for warranty replacement
                    is not good for this project. Remember that from Linksys's point of
                    view, as soon as you flash custom firmware you have voided your warranty.

                    -- Rod
                  • reddakota2k1
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 6, 2007
                      I had some free time today, so I decided to give the Linksys stock
                      firmware another try. It was working great. FTP - working. SAMBA
                      working. Then I restarted it... "Drive Not Formatted". I guess the
                      SLUGs work great if you leave them on all the time. But if your power
                      goes out your screwed.

                      wrote:

                      > To get my data off my HD I just connected it directly to my Linux box
                      > then copies the files. But to reconnect to the SLUG via the network I
                      > had to re-flash it (them)using the SercommFirmwareUpdater on Windows.
                      >
                      > I don't know if that answers your question.
                      >
                      > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "zeddichus" <zeddichus@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Oh, that does sound bad :-(
                      > >
                      > > May I ask you, how did you reach your NSLU again?
                      > >
                      > > I have the problem that it is not visible in my network. I did already
                      > > scan my network with some tools and did not find it. also changing
                      > > the cables and starting with and without the HDD did not help.
                      > >
                      > > Thanks in advance for your help
                      > >
                      > > br
                      > > zeddichus
                      > >

                      > > > I have 3 Slugs. This has happened to all three of them
                      repeatedly. I
                      > > > have gotten so sick of reslinging, formatting and copy data to and
                      > > > from a temp harddrive, then manually modifying all the config files
                      > > > just to have simple FTP/SAMBA servers. I have tried Unslung
                      5.5, 6.8,
                      > > > and the Debian installer. Debian doesn't even install on 2 of them,
                      > > > which I don't get since it's the same hardware. The 3rd one it
                      > > > installs on refuses to connect after a 2 or 3 power ups then it
                      has to
                      > > > be reflashed again.
                      > > >
                      > > > I've given up, but I hope you find a permanent solution. Good luck!

                    • Rob Lockhart
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 6, 2007
                        I don't understand what you said below, "and the Debian installer.  Debian doesn't even install on two of them."  This is quite odd.  Presumably, you followed these instructions right:  http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html .  I actually upgrade using RedBoot using Cygwin, and a freeware TFTP server http://tftpd32.jounin.net with an ethernet switch (not necessary but keeps the PC link from going up/down when using a crossover cable directly to the NSLU2).  There is an option in D-I to preserve your existing partitions during the install (manual partition), and with that you could also ssh in (in addition to the ssh for the installer) and chmod/chown/etc. whatever partitions you need, if necessary for read/write access (shouldn't be though).

                        If the power does go out and is restored, there is some kind of countdown timer (as part of most linux distributions) that, after so many reboots, an "fsck" is done of your HDDs.  That may take a bit of time, especially with larger HDDs that are near capacity.  Sure, you may lose files if they were in the process of being transferred, but fsck should clean all of these up.  Problems of access shouldn't be happening, unless there are so many errors that fsck requires you to login as root and fix them manually ( i.e., via "fsck -y" or other such parameters).  This may happen with any linux distribution, with the intent to do less harm than good ("fsck" can be harmful, but if the data is already corrupted, what can it hurt).

                        On a previous install of D-I RC1, sometimes the HDDs wouldn't be recognized when booting.  I think this was an issue of the USB HDD.  I replaced it, and never had a problem like that since.

                        wrote:

                        > To get my data off my HD I just connected it directly to my Linux box
                        > then copies the files.  But to reconnect to the SLUG via the network I
                        > had to re-flash it (them)using the SercommFirmwareUpdater on Windows.
                        >
                        > I don't know if that answers your question.
                        >
                        > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "zeddichus" <zeddichus@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Oh, that does sound bad :-(
                        > >
                        > > May I ask you, how did you reach your NSLU again?
                        > >
                        > > I have the problem that it is not visible in my network. I did already
                        > > scan my network  with some tools and did not find it. also changing
                        > > the cables and starting with and without the HDD did not help.
                        > >
                        > > Thanks in advance for your help
                        > >
                        > > br
                        > > zeddichus
                        > >

                        > > > I have 3 Slugs.  This has happened to all three of them
                        > > > repeatedly.  I have gotten so sick of reslinging, formatting and
                        > > > copy data to and from a temp harddrive, then manually
                        > > > modifying all the config files just to have simple FTP/SAMBA
                        > > > servers.  I have tried Unslung 5.5, 6.8, and the Debian installer.
                        > > > Debian doesn't even install on 2 of them,
                        > > > which I don't get since it's the same hardware.  The 3rd one it
                        > > > installs on refuses to connect after a 2 or 3 power ups then it
                        > > > has to be reflashed again.

                      • reddakota2k1
                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 7, 2007
                          I did follow the Debian install instructions. The 2 that wouldn't
                          install wouldn't establish an SSH connection, but the third SLUG did
                          (every time). I haven't tried the RC2 installer.

                          As far as the power-down reboot, it wasn't performing a fsck. After
                          the first power down it startup again, but wouldn't recognize the
                          drive at all. I could manually mount the drive, but it wouldn't boot
                          from it. Seems like the same issue with the Linksys stock firmware.

                          I have noticed it happened a few times after sending the SLUG a larger
                          number of files(performing a backup). Perhaps the SLUG is corrupting
                          the drive during the transfer. I have tried using a few different
                          hard drives, but it's happened with all of them.

                          Thanks for your help anyway!

                          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Lockhart" <rlockhar@...> wrote:

                          > I don't understand what you said below, "and the Debian installer.
                          Debian
                          > doesn't even install on two of them." This is quite odd.
                          Presumably, you
                          > followed these instructions right:
                          > http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html . I actually
                          upgrade using
                          > RedBoot using Cygwin, and a freeware TFTP server
                          > http://tftpd32.jounin.netwith an ethernet switch (not necessary but
                          > keeps the PC link from going
                          > up/down when using a crossover cable directly to the NSLU2). There
                          is an
                          > option in D-I to preserve your existing partitions during the install
                          > (manual partition), and with that you could also ssh in (in addition
                          to the
                          > ssh for the installer) and chmod/chown/etc. whatever partitions you
                          need, if
                          > necessary for read/write access (shouldn't be though).
                          >
                          > If the power does go out and is restored, there is some kind of
                          countdown
                          > timer (as part of most linux distributions) that, after so many
                          reboots, an
                          > "fsck" is done of your HDDs. That may take a bit of time,
                          especially with
                          > larger HDDs that are near capacity. Sure, you may lose files if
                          they were
                          > in the process of being transferred, but fsck should clean all of
                          these up.
                          > Problems of access shouldn't be happening, unless there are so many
                          errors
                          > that fsck requires you to login as root and fix them manually (i.e., via
                          > "fsck -y" or other such parameters). This may happen with any linux
                          > distribution, with the intent to do less harm than good ("fsck" can be
                          > harmful, but if the data is already corrupted, what can it hurt).
                          >
                          > On a previous install of D-I RC1, sometimes the HDDs wouldn't be
                          recognized
                          > when booting. I think this was an issue of the USB HDD. I replaced
                          it, and
                          > never had a problem like that since.
                          >

                          > On 4/6/07, reddakota2k1 <reddakota2k1@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > I had some free time today, so I decided to give the Linksys stock
                          > > firmware another try. It was working great. FTP - working. SAMBA
                          > > working. Then I restarted it... "Drive Not Formatted". I guess the
                          > > SLUGs work great if you leave them on all the time. But if your power
                          > > goes out your screwed.
                          > >
                          > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "reddakota2k1" <reddakota2k1@>
                          > > wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > To get my data off my HD I just connected it directly to my
                          Linux box
                          > > > then copies the files. But to reconnect to the SLUG via the
                          network I
                          > > > had to re-flash it (them)using the SercommFirmwareUpdater on
                          Windows.

                          > > > I don't know if that answers your question.

                        • zeddichus
                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 7, 2007
                            Hi,

                            I did have some time left and did find the problem. The Samba server
                            did crash and so it did go back to its default IP address. I could
                            reach it with this one. but when i try to change it, i get this error
                            message: "Error: Fail to get samba information". As the NSLU cannot
                            reach the internet because of its default settings, i cannot use ipgk
                            update. and changing anything on the webinterface, results in this
                            information. also a forced reinstall does not work :-(

                            what do i have to do to reinstall samba? or should i flash it again
                            completely? or shoud i import some backup, which i did when it was
                            running?

                            br
                            zeddichus

                          • Adam Ward
                            Message 13 of 20 , Apr 7, 2007
                              On Saturday 07 April 2007 20:20, zeddichus wrote:
                              > Hi,
                              >
                              > I did have some time left and did find the problem. The Samba server
                              > did crash and so it did go back to its default IP address. I could
                              > reach it with this one. but when i try to change it, i get this error
                              > message: "Error: Fail to get samba information". As the NSLU cannot
                              > reach the internet because of its default settings, i cannot use ipgk
                              > update. and changing anything on the webinterface, results in this
                              > information. also a forced reinstall does not work :-(
                              >
                              > what do i have to do to reinstall samba? or should i flash it again
                              > completely? or shoud i import some backup, which i did when it was
                              > running?

                              http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/FailSambaInformation
                              I had an odd flashing problem with OpenSlug, and this fixed it.
                              Do yourself a favour and get a cross-over cable first.
                            • Rob Lockhart
                              Message 14 of 20 , Apr 7, 2007
                                It sounds like some kind of hardware issue with the NSLU2, especially
                                if it did so with the stock firmware. This is more a question to the
                                expert here: if you re-flash with stock NSLU2 firmware, using RedBoot,
                                is it practically indistinguishable from its state when being bought
                                from the store? Who knows, could be a speck of solder spattering over
                                the SDRAM chips or something. If indeed, re-flashing with stock NSLU2
                                firmware does not restore the unit to a factory-like condition (which
                                means you can't return it to the store you bought it), then perhaps
                                your only recourse is to take the unit apart and start inspecting for
                                cold solder joints, solder bridges, mis-aligned components, bent pins,
                                etc. If restoring the stock NSLU2 firmware does return the unit to a
                                factory-like condition, then hopefully you can return the unit to the
                                store and/or to Linksys via RMA.

                                My intuition tells me that you may have voided the warranty anyway,
                                via non-stock firmware upgrade, unfortunately. I wonder if there are
                                some tests that you can do from RedBoot that would provide a better
                                confidence factor of whether your hardware was bad, like some kind of
                                memory test or perhaps transfer a huge file (32M) to the NSLU2 RAM via
                                tftp (while telnetting to the unit). It looks like you might be able
                                to:

                                http://ecos.sourceware.org/docs-latest/redboot/cksum-command.html
                                Then run the cksum command on the file you transferred, and verify if
                                it is identical.

                                But, I would advise you to be *very very* careful about what memory
                                locations, as you do NOT want to overwrite RedBoot (take it from me).
                                You probably need to do this with uncached space (if I interpret this
                                map correctly):
                                http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Info/MemoryMap

                                (from a working linux env or perhaps cygwin):
                                dd if=/dev/urandom of=32MiB.bin bs=1k count=32k (makes a 32MiB file)

                                now, use some of the methods used here:
                                http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/ReflashUsingRedbootAndTFTP

                                with the following mods for the load from within RedBoot (NEVER touching flash):
                                load -r -v -b 0x20000000 -h 192.168.0.99 32MiB.bin
                                cksum -b 0x20000000 -l 0x2000000

                                (that is supposed to do a checksum against uncached memory, starting
                                at uncached space, and for 32MiB of data).

                                now, verify this against your "cksum 32MiB.bin" on your PC.
                                Luckily, RedBoot is BigEndian so no worries about byte-swapping needed.

                                Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. If not, this would be a
                                welcome addition to the Wiki! :-) A kludgy way to do a RAM test, but
                                if it works...

                                I haven't tried any of this, as my SLUG is busy rsync'ing right now.

                                On 4/7/07, reddakota2k1 <reddakota2k1@...> wrote:
                                > I did follow the Debian install instructions. The 2 that wouldn't
                                > install wouldn't establish an SSH connection, but the third SLUG did
                                > (every time). I haven't tried the RC2 installer.
                                >
                                > As far as the power-down reboot, it wasn't performing a fsck. After
                                > the first power down it startup again, but wouldn't recognize the
                                > drive at all. I could manually mount the drive, but it wouldn't boot
                                > from it. Seems like the same issue with the Linksys stock firmware.
                                >

                                > I have noticed it happened a few times after sending the SLUG a larger
                                > number of files(performing a backup). Perhaps the SLUG is corrupting
                                > the drive during the transfer. I have tried using a few different
                                > hard drives, but it's happened with all of them.
                                >
                                > Thanks for your help anyway!

                              • Rob Lockhart
                                Message 15 of 20 , Apr 7, 2007
                                  Some corrections... this time, I tried it and verified it works.
                                  Once you're in RedBoot, type "version" as shown below.

                                  RedBoot> version

                                  RedBoot(tm) bootstrap and debug environment [ROMRAM]
                                  Red Hat certified release, version 1.92 - built 15:16:07, Feb 3 2004

                                  Platform: IXDP425 Development Platform (XScale)
                                  Copyright (C) 2000, 2001, 2002, Red Hat, Inc.

                                  RAM: 0x00000000-0x02000000, 0x000723a0-0x01ff3000 available
                                  FLASH: 0x50000000 - 0x50800000, 64 blocks of 0x00020000 bytes each.

                                  From the available RAM space (shown above),
                                  0x01ff3000 - 0x000723a0 = 0x01F80C60
                                  in decimal, the result is: 33033312

                                  in Linux or cygwin, do this:
                                  dd if=/dev/urandom of=RamTest.bin bs=32 count=1032291
                                  (do a "ls -la RamTest.bin" if you want to verify size)
                                  cksum RamTest.bin
                                  (output for me showed: "163853644 33033312 RamTest.bin")

                                  Copy the file to your TFTP server. Now in RedBoot, do this:
                                  (assume your TFTP server is 192.168.0.99)
                                  RedBoot> load -r -v -b 0x000723a0 -h 192.168.0.99 RamTest.bin
                                  output shows:
                                  Raw file loaded 0x000723a0-0x01ff2fff, assumed entry at 0x000723a0
                                  RedBoot> cksum
                                  (above should do a checksum of the previously transferred file)
                                  Computing cksum for area 0x000723a0-0x01ff3000
                                  POSIX cksum = 163853644 33033312 (0x09c4354c 0x01f80c60)

                                  Just to be sure, I did it again, manually, as follows:
                                  RedBoot> cksum -b 0x000723a0 -l 0x01f80c60
                                  POSIX cksum = 163853644 33033312 (0x09c4354c 0x01f80c60)

                                  Now it matched. So my SDRAM memory must be good. :-)
                                  Note that for some reason, I couldn't access (from within RedBoot) the
                                  entire 32MiB RAM. Perhaps some env vars or such are stored there and
                                  are in-use?

                                  -Rob

                                  On 4/7/07, Rob Lockhart <rlockhar@...> wrote:
                                  > http://ecos.sourceware.org/docs-latest/redboot/cksum-command.html
                                  > Then run the cksum command on the file you transferred, and verify if
                                  > it is identical.
                                  >
                                  > But, I would advise you to be *very very* careful about what memory
                                  > locations, as you do NOT want to overwrite RedBoot (take it from me).
                                  > You probably need to do this with uncached space (if I interpret this
                                  > map correctly):
                                  > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Info/MemoryMap
                                  >
                                  > (from a working linux env or perhaps cygwin):
                                  > dd if=/dev/urandom of=32MiB.bin bs=1k count=32k (makes a 32MiB file)
                                  >
                                  > now, use some of the methods used here:
                                  > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/ReflashUsingRedbootAndTFTP
                                  >
                                  > with the following mods for the load from within RedBoot (NEVER touching flash):
                                  > load -r -v -b 0x20000000 -h 192.168.0.99 32MiB.bin
                                  > cksum -b 0x20000000 -l 0x2000000
                                  >
                                  > (that is supposed to do a checksum against uncached memory, starting
                                  > at uncached space, and for 32MiB of data).
                                  >
                                  > now, verify this against your "cksum 32MiB.bin" on your PC.
                                  > Luckily, RedBoot is BigEndian so no worries about byte-swapping needed.
                                  >
                                  > Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. If not, this would be a
                                  > welcome addition to the Wiki! :-) A kludgy way to do a RAM test, but
                                  > if it works...
                                  >
                                  > I haven't tried any of this, as my SLUG is busy rsync'ing right now.
                                  >

                                  > On 4/7/07, reddakota2k1 <reddakota2k1@...> wrote:
                                  > > I did follow the Debian install instructions. The 2 that wouldn't
                                  > > install wouldn't establish an SSH connection, but the third SLUG did
                                  > > (every time). I haven't tried the RC2 installer.
                                  > >
                                  > > As far as the power-down reboot, it wasn't performing a fsck. After
                                  > > the first power down it startup again, but wouldn't recognize the
                                  > > drive at all. I could manually mount the drive, but it wouldn't boot
                                  > > from it. Seems like the same issue with the Linksys stock firmware.
                                  > >

                                  > > I have noticed it happened a few times after sending the SLUG a larger
                                  > > number of files(performing a backup). Perhaps the SLUG is corrupting
                                  > > the drive during the transfer. I have tried using a few different
                                  > > hard drives, but it's happened with all of them.
                                  > >
                                  > > Thanks for your help anyway!

                                • Rob Lockhart
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Apr 7, 2007
                                    I used to have problems similar to that, when using rsync from within
                                    cygwin, to my linux server (on a PC). Ended up being the hard drive
                                    needed more current than the USB enclosure could deliver, and thus I'd
                                    hear horrific "click" sounds as the hard drive seemed to be being
                                    powered up and down, over and over. I went to a better enclosure, and
                                    that specific problem went away. This was on some Seagate 320GB HDDs,
                                    FWIW. I'm not sure if /var/log/messages would show those kinds of
                                    problems (especially if the drive being used for / was having those
                                    problems).

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Apr 9, 2007
                                      Rob Lockhart wrote:
                                      > It sounds like some kind of hardware issue with the NSLU2, especially
                                      > if it did so with the stock firmware. This is more a question to the
                                      > expert here: if you re-flash with stock NSLU2 firmware, using RedBoot,
                                      > is it practically indistinguishable from its state when being bought
                                      > from the store? Who knows, could be a speck of solder spattering over
                                      > the SDRAM chips or something. If indeed, re-flashing with stock NSLU2
                                      > firmware does not restore the unit to a factory-like condition (which
                                      > means you can't return it to the store you bought it), then perhaps
                                      > your only recourse is to take the unit apart and start inspecting for
                                      > cold solder joints, solder bridges, mis-aligned components, bent pins,
                                      > etc. If restoring the stock NSLU2 firmware does return the unit to a
                                      > factory-like condition, then hopefully you can return the unit to the
                                      > store and/or to Linksys via RMA.
                                      >
                                      > My intuition tells me that you may have voided the warranty anyway,
                                      > via non-stock firmware upgrade, unfortunately.

                                      The NSLU2-Linux project's position on this issue is that you should do
                                      the following before returning a unit under warranty:

                                      1) Confirm that you have never opened the case
                                      2) Reset the SysConf partition
                                      3) Reflash with vendor firmware
                                      4) Confirm the problem with the vendor firmware

                                      If you have flashed custom firmware, and are unable to do *all* four of
                                      the above, then the NSLU2-Linux project's position is that you have
                                      knowingly voided the warranty, and are not able to put the NSLU2 back
                                      into a factory configuration, so therefore should *not* expect to be
                                      able to return it under warranty.

                                      If you *are* able to perform all four steps (i.e. you've *never* opened
                                      the case, and you are able to put the NSLU2 back into a factory
                                      configuration), and a hardware problem still remains, then the
                                      NSLU2-Linux project has no problem with you exercising your warranty
                                      rights (whatever they may be in your juridiction).

                                      Basically, we do not want units going back to Linksys with custom
                                      firmware on them.

                                      -- Rod Whitby
                                      -- NSLU2-Linux Project Lead
                                    • reddakota2k1
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Apr 9, 2007
                                        I went ahead and tried the Debian RC2 installer on one of the SLUGs
                                        that failed with the RC1. So far it seems to be working and it's very
                                        stable. I'm having trouble with SAMBA, but FTP seems to be working fine.

                                        Thanks for your suggestions!

                                      • Rob Lockhart
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Apr 9, 2007
                                          On 4/9/2007 5:54 PM EST, reddakota2k1 wrote:
                                          > I went ahead and tried the Debian RC2 installer on one of the SLUGs
                                          > that failed with the RC1. So far it seems to be working and it's very
                                          > stable. I'm having trouble with SAMBA, but FTP seems to be working fine.

                                          BTW, in regards to the testing of NSLU2 SDRAM from within RedBoot that I
                                          suggested, I created a Wiki for the stuff in that email:
                                          http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/TestSDRAMinRedBoot

                                          Hope it helps someone.

                                          Regards,
                                          -Rob
                                        • Rob Lockhart
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Apr 9, 2007
                                            On 4/9/2007 5:16 AM EST, Rod Whitby wrote:

                                            > The NSLU2-Linux project's position on this issue is that you should do
                                            > the following before returning a unit under warranty:

                                            This has been added to the Wiki. I wanted to add a link in the "Info"
                                            Wiki but it's password-protected.

                                            http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/RevertToLinksysFirmware