Mount Unslung drive on another PC?

  • tim_higgins13
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2007
      Hi

      I've got an NSLU2 with a 320GB HDD that is unslung. I would like to
      take the HDD away from the NSLU2 and plug it into another computer via
      USB2.

      Will I be able to mount the drive in Windows? Can I just copy data
      into /home/[username] and then take it back to the NSLU2 and boot it up?

      Will this work providing I dont mess with any of the files in the file
      system?

      Tim
    • Adam Ward
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2007
        On Monday 02 April 2007 19:03, tim_higgins13 wrote:
        > Hi
        >
        > I've got an NSLU2 with a 320GB HDD that is unslung. I would like to
        > take the HDD away from the NSLU2 and plug it into another computer via
        > USB2.
        >
        > Will I be able to mount the drive in Windows? Can I just copy data
        > into /home/[username] and then take it back to the NSLU2 and boot it up?
        >
        > Will this work providing I dont mess with any of the files in the file
        > system?

        Short answer is yes, to my knowledge :)

        Depends on the file system and the version of Windows.
        If it's ext2/3 then there is a driver for the Windows NT stream (ie not
        win9x):
        http://gentoo-wiki.com/Ext3_in_windows
      • Chin Tong (SHOPTONG)
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2, 2007
          I have tried, but could not get it to work.
          Case A)
          Unlung to a WD My Book Premium 500 GB HDD (using USB2)
          * plug-in to a Windows XP machine installed with: EXT2IFS
          (http://www.fs-driver.org/), could not read the HDD.
          * plug-in to my Debian machine, could not read the HDD

          I could get it to work with Debian/NSLU2
          Case B)
          Then I installed Debain/NSLU2 re-formate the HDD, plug-in to My Debian
          machine and it reads it just fine.