rsync does not log files transfered

  • bloedmann999
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2007
      HI,
      I am using rsync, controlled by dirvish to backup various machines in
      my local network. It works pretty well. But sometimes the dirvish
      process will give a RC=139 or RC=145 back, and I am trying to debug
      that. I ping the target machines to check they are up before
      attempting the backup on each machine.
      In my rsyncd.conf I have these options set:

      list = yes
      log file = /var/log/rsyncd.log
      transfer logging = yes

      I never see more messages than that rsync is stopping, or starting.

      Just wondering (as this may be a dirvish problem) does anyone have
      rsync on unslung running OK and logging the files transfered? I have
      the 2.6.9 version, which seems to be the newest ipkg could find.

      I've also tried rebooting the slug just before the backup, in case of
      a memory shortage for example, and recycling rsync too just before the
      backup. Still the same problem.

      The backups will die 1 night a week on average.

      Cheers Brian
    • bloedmann999
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 4, 2007
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "bloedmann999" <Brian_Dorling@...>
        wrote:

        > HI,
        > I am using rsync, controlled by dirvish to backup various machines in
        > my local network. It works pretty well. But sometimes the dirvish
        > process will give a RC=139 or RC=145 back, and I am trying to debug
        > that. I ping the target machines to check they are up before
        > attempting the backup on each machine.
        > In my rsyncd.conf I have these options set:
        >
        > list = yes
        > log file = /var/log/rsyncd.log
        > transfer logging = yes
        >
        > I never see more messages than that rsync is stopping, or starting.
        >
        > Just wondering (as this may be a dirvish problem) does anyone have
        > rsync on unslung running OK and logging the files transfered? I have
        > the 2.6.9 version, which seems to be the newest ipkg could find.
        >
        > I've also tried rebooting the slug just before the backup, in case of
        > a memory shortage for example, and recycling rsync too just before the
        > backup. Still the same problem.
        >
        > The backups will die 1 night a week on average.
        >
        > Cheers Brian

        Someone answered me in another forum (and I missed it, ashamed to say)
        that any Dirvish RC over 128 is caused by a signal. So 139 would be
        signal 11 and 145 would be signal 17. As dirvish just calls rsync I
        assume it must be rsync that is dying, or being killed somehow. So
        sig11 is a segmentation fault, that must be internal from rsync. sig17
        is sigstop, will that be from something external to rsync??
      • bloedmann999
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 10, 2007
          wrote:

          > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "bloedmann999" <Brian_Dorling@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > HI,
          > > I am using rsync, controlled by dirvish to backup various machines in
          > > my local network. It works pretty well. But sometimes the dirvish
          > > process will give a RC=139 or RC=145 back, and I am trying to debug
          > > that. I ping the target machines to check they are up before
          > > attempting the backup on each machine.
          > > In my rsyncd.conf I have these options set:
          > >
          > > list = yes
          > > log file = /var/log/rsyncd.log
          > > transfer logging = yes
          > >
          > > I never see more messages than that rsync is stopping, or starting.
          > >
          > > Just wondering (as this may be a dirvish problem) does anyone have
          > > rsync on unslung running OK and logging the files transfered? I have
          > > the 2.6.9 version, which seems to be the newest ipkg could find.
          > >
          > > I've also tried rebooting the slug just before the backup, in case of
          > > a memory shortage for example, and recycling rsync too just before the
          > > backup. Still the same problem.
          > >
          > > The backups will die 1 night a week on average.
          > >
          > > Cheers Brian
          > >
          > Someone answered me in another forum (and I missed it, ashamed to say)
          > that any Dirvish RC over 128 is caused by a signal. So 139 would be
          > signal 11 and 145 would be signal 17. As dirvish just calls rsync I
          > assume it must be rsync that is dying, or being killed somehow. So
          > sig11 is a segmentation fault, that must be internal from rsync. sig17
          > is sigstop, will that be from something external to rsync??

          Hi,
          after someone gave me the tip to set ulimit I now have 3 coredumps
          from Perl segmentation faults, those are the root cause of my problems.
          I have upgraded to the 5.8.8 version of Perl on unslung from 5.8.6.
          I now need to find a gdb howto or something to see if there is
          anything useful in the core.
          Cheers Brian
        • bloedmann999
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 18, 2007
            wrote:

            > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "bloedmann999" <Brian_Dorling@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "bloedmann999" <Brian_Dorling@>
            > > wrote:
            > > >
            > > > HI,
            > > > I am using rsync, controlled by dirvish to backup various
            machines in
            > > > my local network. It works pretty well. But sometimes the dirvish
            > > > process will give a RC=139 or RC=145 back, and I am trying to debug
            > > > that. I ping the target machines to check they are up before
            > > > attempting the backup on each machine.
            > > > In my rsyncd.conf I have these options set:
            > > >
            > > > list = yes
            > > > log file = /var/log/rsyncd.log
            > > > transfer logging = yes
            > > >
            > > > I never see more messages than that rsync is stopping, or starting.
            > > >
            > > > Just wondering (as this may be a dirvish problem) does anyone have
            > > > rsync on unslung running OK and logging the files transfered? I have
            > > > the 2.6.9 version, which seems to be the newest ipkg could find.
            > > >
            > > > I've also tried rebooting the slug just before the backup, in
            case of
            > > > a memory shortage for example, and recycling rsync too just
            before the
            > > > backup. Still the same problem.
            > > >
            > > > The backups will die 1 night a week on average.
            > > >
            > > > Cheers Brian
            > > >
            > > Someone answered me in another forum (and I missed it, ashamed to say)
            > > that any Dirvish RC over 128 is caused by a signal. So 139 would be
            > > signal 11 and 145 would be signal 17. As dirvish just calls rsync I
            > > assume it must be rsync that is dying, or being killed somehow. So
            > > sig11 is a segmentation fault, that must be internal from rsync. sig17
            > > is sigstop, will that be from something external to rsync??
            > >
            > Hi,
            > after someone gave me the tip to set ulimit I now have 3 coredumps
            > from Perl segmentation faults, those are the root cause of my problems.
            > I have upgraded to the 5.8.8 version of Perl on unslung from 5.8.6.
            > I now need to find a gdb howto or something to see if there is
            > anything useful in the core.
            > Cheers Brian

            Hi,
            The problem is somehow caused by cron. After a certain point all
            backup attempts via cron will fail, but those from the command line
            will be OK. After a reboot the backups via cron will work again, for a
            while.
            I solved the problem by having cron send the command to run the script
            to the at daemon. Now it works every time.
            I cannot debug this anymore with my knowledge, is anyone else involved
            with unslung interested in why this happens?

            Cheers Brian