Re: Under which OS can I use Mldonkey. [ -> debian disk sizes ]

  • Phil Endecott
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2007
      factinmyosin@... wrote:
      > Did you install Debian to a pindrive.

      I run Debian from 1GB flash drives.

      > Is it too slow to hold debian?

      No.

      > Should I use a 1gb or 2gb pindrive to load Debian.

      That depends on what applications you want to install. But actually
      the price differences are quite small now, and larger (newer) drives
      might be slightly faster than smaller (older) ones. So it might be
      sensible to use a 2 or 4 GB drive.

      There was an issue with the Debian installer not allocating enough swap
      with 1GB drives; I'm not sure if it has been fixed. If not, you need
      to partition manually. Search the list archive for details.

      > 2GB is reported as ~ 1.6g at my slug, 1gb is only ~700M.

      That is interesting. Can you please post some more details, i.e. where
      exactly are the 1.6G and 700M numbers reported? Here is one of mine:

      $ df
      /dev/sdc1 893356 455948 392028 54% /

      That's saying 893356 1024-byte blocks, = 914796544 bytes.

      This drive also has a swap partition:

      # swapon -s
      Filename Type Size Used Priority
      /dev/sdc2 partition 80316 6452 -1

      80316 * 1024 = 82243584 bytes.
      So total drive capacity = 914796544 + 82243584 = 997040128 bytes.
      That's about as close to 1000000000 bytes as I think you can expect to
      get! If you really are losing 30%, something strange is happening.

      Phil.