unslung : HDD nearly dead ! how can I change it

  • mbremaud
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 29, 2007
      Hello everybody,

      I'm using NSLU2 for several months now but still a newbie !!

      I've installed unslung 6.8 (on the unique Hard disk drive plugged on
      port 2) and 've installed some packages such as openssh, daapd...

      My problem is that my hard disk drive is tired and nearly dead.
      All my data are backup, so no problem for them.

      I've bought a new HArd disk to replace the tired one.
      My problem is how can I install the new one without losing my NSLU2
      configuration ?

      I hope someone will be able to help me !or to give me a url link
      because I didn't found anythling interesting.

      Thanks in advance

      Mickey
    • dave nash
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 29, 2007
        From mbremaud <mbremaud@...>:

        > I've bought a new HArd disk to replace the tired one.
        > My problem is how can I install the new one without losing my NSLU2
        > configuration ?

        Do you have access to another Linux PC which you can plug both HDDs into?

        Dave
        --
      • mbremaud
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 29, 2007
          Hello Dave,
          thanks for helping me

          Yes I have a linux PC (under unbuntu) available where I can plug both
          HDD (only with USB port)

          > Do you have access to another Linux PC which you can plug both HDDs
          into?

          > Dave
          > --

        • renoorr
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 29, 2007
            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "mbremaud" <mbremaud@...> wrote:

            > Hello everybody,
            >
            > I'm using NSLU2 for several months now but still a newbie !!
            >
            > I've installed unslung 6.8 (on the unique Hard disk drive plugged on
            > port 2) and 've installed some packages such as openssh, daapd...
            >
            > My problem is that my hard disk drive is tired and nearly dead.
            > All my data are backup, so no problem for them.
            >
            > I've bought a new HArd disk to replace the tired one.
            > My problem is how can I install the new one without losing my NSLU2
            > configuration ?
            >
            > I hope someone will be able to help me !or to give me a url link
            > because I didn't found anythling interesting.
            >
            > Thanks in advance
            >
            > Mickey

            Hi Mickey,
            maybe you can try to do exact copy of disk partitions in a program
            like Partition Magic (sorry I don't know open-source equivalent), but
            i'm not sure what to do about master boot record (MBR)
            my guess is that SLUG don't need any kind of boot record because it
            boots from flash, so simple copying of partition should be enough.
            then you can also try to increase it's size (I suppose the new HDD is
            larger) and this is also easily done in PM.

            Ren00r
          • b.dog
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 29, 2007
              suitable linux tools might be gparted, g4u or g4l

              :¬}
              renoorr wrote:
              > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "mbremaud" <mbremaud@...> wrote:
              >
              >> Hello everybody,
              >>
              >> I'm using NSLU2 for several months now but still a newbie !!
              >>
              >> I've installed unslung 6.8 (on the unique Hard disk drive plugged on
              >> port 2) and 've installed some packages such as openssh, daapd...
              >>
              >> My problem is that my hard disk drive is tired and nearly dead.
              >> All my data are backup, so no problem for them.
              >>
              >> I've bought a new HArd disk to replace the tired one.
              >> My problem is how can I install the new one without losing my NSLU2
              >> configuration ?
              >>
              >> I hope someone will be able to help me !or to give me a url link
              >> because I didn't found anythling interesting.
              >>
              >> Thanks in advance
              >>
              >> Mickey
              >>

              > Hi Mickey,
              > maybe you can try to do exact copy of disk partitions in a program
              > like Partition Magic (sorry I don't know open-source equivalent), but
              > i'm not sure what to do about master boot record (MBR)
              > my guess is that SLUG don't need any kind of boot record because it
              > boots from flash, so simple copying of partition should be enough.
              > then you can also try to increase it's size (I suppose the new HDD is
              > larger) and this is also easily done in PM.
              >
              > Ren00r
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • legou
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 29, 2007
                Hi Micky,

                i have another idear/tool that could solve your problem.
                Have you ever heard or read about Acronis, with
                that tool your are able to make an exact copy of your hdd (bit layer), it´s like Partition Magic.
                Supportet Filesystems are
                FAT16/32 , NTFS ,Ext2, Ext3 und Reiser FS

                legou

                > I'm using NSLU2 for several months now but still a newbie !!
                >
                > I've installed unslung 6.8 (on the unique Hard disk drive plugged on
                > port 2) and 've installed some packages such as openssh, daapd...
                >
                > My problem is that my hard disk drive is tired and nearly dead.
                > All my data are backup, so no problem for them.
                >
                > I've bought a new HArd disk to replace the tired one.
                > My problem is how can I install the new one without losing my NSLU2
                > configuration ?
                >
                > I hope someone will be able to help me !or to give me a url link
                > because I didn't found anythling interesting.
                >
                > Thanks in advance
                >
                > Mickey

                Hi Mickey,
                maybe you can try to do exact copy of disk partitions in a program
                like Partition Magic (sorry I don't know open-source equivalent), but
                i'm not sure what to do about master boot record (MBR)
                my guess is that SLUG don't need any kind of boot record because it
                boots from flash, so simple copying of partition should be enough.
                then you can also try to increase it's size (I suppose the new HDD is
                larger) and this is also easily done in PM.

                Ren00r

              • Penphoe
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 29, 2007
                  I was able to migrate from an old 40 gig HD to a less old 120 gig HD without any problems.  Here's what I did.  I shut off my slug, unplugged the HD from the slug and plugged it into my Linux machine.  Once the drive was mounted, I use tar to tar up the entire contents of both partitions - /dev/sda1 is the data portion with and /dev/sda2 which has all the configuration information.  Each partition had their own tar file.  Make sure that all files file properties are tar'd.  There are some zero-byte and hidden files that are needed to ensure that your system is unslung properly.  There is also a third partition /dev/sda3 that isn't mounted - this is the swap partition.  No need to tar this one up.

                  I used fdisk to find out how large the partitions were on my old 40 gig hard drive.  I wanted find out how big the configuration and swap partitions were so that I could make the similar in size on the new drive.  I think I made my swap partition slightly larger.

                  Once I had finished tar'ing up the two partitions and finding out how big each of the three partitions were in size on the old 40G HD, it was time to pop out the old 40 gig and put the newer 120 gig HD into the case.

                  Back into the Linux box the new 120G went.  I partitioned the HD into three chunks - /dev/sda1 is the largest chunk which contains the fileshare partition.  /dev/sda2 is the configuration partition - same size as what was on the old drive.  /dev/sda3 I set up as the swap partition.  I can't remember if I used the GUI program gparted to partition the drives, or if I used good 'ol fdisk.  If you end up using one of the graphical tools to partition the drive, you can also tell it what filesystem to use and it will automatically format it.

                  If you use the command line tools, then you'll have to use "mkfs -t ext3 /dev/sda1" to format the first partition.  Change sda1 to sda2 to format the second partition.  Make sure the third partition has been set as a swap partition.  To initialize the partition into a swap partition, use the command mkswap /dev/sda3.  No need to do a "swapon" for this partition as it isn't going to be living here on your Linux machine.

                  Once all three partitions were created and formatted, then it was time to put the files back.  I untar'd the files back into their new home with a lot more space to grow.

                  Once the files were all back in place, I removed the drive from my linux machine, plugged it back into my slug and powered it up.  A few moments later, it was happy as before, but with a lot more filespace!

                  Anyway, here are some pages on the nslu2-linux site that I read when I did my HD change-over:
                  http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/SwapDrivesOnUnslung
                  http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/CustomSizedPartitions

                  LaterZ!
                  Darren!!
                • mbremaud
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 29, 2007
                    Many thanks Darren,

                    My Nslu2 is now quite proud of its new 160GiGa HDD.
                    Everything worked well !
                    thank you very much

                    Mickey (Happy ;-) )

                    --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Penphoe <penphoe@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    swap
                    > partition. To initialize the partition into a swap partition, use
                    the
                    > command mkswap /dev/sda3. No need to do a "swapon" for this
                    partition as it
                    > isn't going to be living here on your Linux machine.
                    >

                    > Once all three partitions were created and formatted, then it was
                    time to
                    > put the files back. I untar'd the files back into their new home
                    with a lot
                    > more space to grow.
                    >
                    > Once the files were all back in place, I removed the drive from my
                    linux
                    > machine, plugged it back into my slug and powered it up. A few
                    moments
                    > later, it was happy as before, but with a lot more filespace!
                    >
                    > Anyway, here are some pages on the nslu2-linux site that I read

                  • Ralph Kling
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 2, 2007

                      Hi all,

                      I have been using Debianslug 3.10 for quite some time now and it’s been very solid. I just ran into a strange problem: some of the floating point conversion functions (atof(), strtof(), strtod()) seem to malfunction, they return bogus values on the NSLU2. Has anyone run into a similar issue before and knows what’s wrong/how to fix it?

                      This seems to happen both when compiled natively with gcc as well as when cross-compiled.

                      Any help is greatly appreciated!

                      - Ralph

                    • Mike (mwester)
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 2, 2007
                        Can you post some sample test programs along with the results you observe?
                        Thanks,
                        Mike (mwester)