Internal USB hub (was: Disk Activity LED's)

  • Jelle A
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 28, 2007
      I wrote a page about the usb bus in the wiki, maybe that helps.

      If someone can check it to see if I didn’t mess anything up, I’d appreciate
      it.
      It is here: http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Info/USBSlotsAndBuses
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Info/USBSlotsAndBuses

      Jelle

      Øyvind Repvik-3 wrote:

      > On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 13:53:56 -0000, "spook727" <slimy@...>
      > wrote:
      >

      >> Thanks for the reply. While setting up the OpenSlug to automatically
      >> create a share when a usb storage device is connected (udev rules to
      >> launch a shell script), I realized that I can use the leds command to
      >> light the appropriate LED when a partition is mounted.
      >>
      >> I'll share my script when I get this worked out.
      >>

      > I'm pretty sure you'll run into two problems:
      >
      > 1. Which USB-port has a device been plugged into? I have still not
      > found a way to determine this
      >
      > 2. What if someone connects a hub and connects two devices? Do you
      > switch off the led when only one is removed? ;)
      >
      > Øyvind

    • Jelle A
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 28, 2007

        Øyvind Repvik-3 wrote:

        > On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 13:53:56 -0000, "spook727" <slimy@...>
        > wrote:
        >

        >> Thanks for the reply. While setting up the OpenSlug to automatically
        >> create a share when a usb storage device is connected (udev rules to
        >> launch a shell script), I realized that I can use the leds command to
        >> light the appropriate LED when a partition is mounted.
        >>
        >> I'll share my script when I get this worked out.
        >>

        > I'm pretty sure you'll run into two problems:
        >
        > 1. Which USB-port has a device been plugged into? I have still not
        > found a way to determine this
        >
        > 2. What if someone connects a hub and connects two devices? Do you
        > switch off the led when only one is removed? ;)
        >
        > Øyvind

      • Jelle A
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 28, 2007

          Øyvind Repvik-3 wrote:

          > On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 13:53:56 -0000, "spook727" <slimy@...>
          > wrote:
          >

          >> Thanks for the reply. While setting up the OpenSlug to automatically
          >> create a share when a usb storage device is connected (udev rules to
          >> launch a shell script), I realized that I can use the leds command to
          >> light the appropriate LED when a partition is mounted.
          >>
          >> I'll share my script when I get this worked out.
          >>

          > I'm pretty sure you'll run into two problems:
          >
          > 1. Which USB-port has a device been plugged into? I have still not
          > found a way to determine this
          >
          > 2. What if someone connects a hub and connects two devices? Do you
          > switch off the led when only one is removed? ;)
          >
          > Øyvind

        • Peter Campion-Bye
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 29, 2007
            That's an interesting page, thanks. I have one comment: the diagram labels the
            ports from 1, but the text numbers the ports from zero, you could make the
            diagram consistent.