Upgrading Firmware and attaching 500GB or greater drives
I currently run a unslung 5.5 with a 320GB drive. I'm going to be
getting two 500GB usbdrives, and was thinking of simultaneously moving
up either to the latest unslung or debian. I am a debian and ubuntu
user in any case on other machines, but the lack of a web interface is
a bit annoying. (How have others found this?)
So my plan of attack was:
1) Remove current 320GB Drive and set aside to preserve its data.
2) Install new firmware and format one 500GB Drive
3) Install second 500GB drive and format
4) Make shares, etc.
5) shutdown, remove first 500GB drive, and plug it and old 320GB drive
into another linux machine and copy personal data from old drive to
appropriate shares on new drive
6) Replug in first 500GB drive.
a) Does that make sense for a way to do it? Anything I should worry about?
b) Is there any problem formatting 500GB drives? What about 1
Terrbayte drives if I decided to get a single one instead of two 500GB
c) Is debian more appropriate for this than unslung?
d) Any other advice?
James Cummings, Cummings dot James at GMail dot com