Is anyone an expert on IMAP servers?

  • joule360
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 3, 2004
      I am looking for suggestions on how to proceed to get an IMAP server
      running on the nslu2.

      I have experience on other Linux boxes with running cyrus-imap and
      courier-imap. My current mailservers run cyrus (at work) and courier
      (at home), and I'm partial to courier at this point because a) I
      like having mail stored in Maildirs rather than a self-contained
      database (as cyrus does) because it makes backups/restores a lot
      easier, and b) cyrus-sasl is a pain to configure and always seems to
      take me a few days on each new install to get it to work.

      Because of these issues, I decided to get courier working on the
      nslu2, and I've been working on it off and on for a few weeks now.
      The configure files for courier are kind of a mess, and it took me a
      while to fix things up so that I could get it through the
      configuration into compiling, and a few more edits to get it to
      compile. However, it fails towards the end of the compile with a
      problem executing a perl script that I cannot track down. I thought
      it might be because I am doing my builds under MacOSX, but after
      building a new toolchain on a Gentoo box and retrying, it fails at
      exactly the same point. I'm not sure I'm going to get it working,
      which bugs me because I can build courier by emerging under Gentoo,
      but go figure.

      Anyway, I also build the dovecot imap server and tried it out. What
      is concerning is that is repeatedly gives a segmentation error and
      crashes. I build strace, and found that the seg-errors were occuring
      trying to open files that did not exist - like if it could not find
      the configuration file (/etc/dovecot.conf) or some directories
      in /var, and the like. Even though I can progressively fix each
      problem, I am uncertain that I want to commit my precious mail store
      (hundreds of megs of mails that I don't want to lose) to a program
      that seems, on first and cursory glance, to be a bit light on error
      checking.

      I just d/l'd binc-imap which I found by typing "linux imap server"
      into google. I'm just starting to try to build it, but I've never
      heard of it before so I don't know whether it is considered reliable
      or not.

      There is uw-imap, but I've heard in the past that it lacks
      robustness, although I don't know anyone using it to check with.

      So, there you have it. I haven't got nearly the time needed to try
      to write my own (or to spend becoming expert inthe imap protocol for
      this purpose). Does anyone have suggestions re a good, reliable imap
      server that I could try out? Alternatively, if anyone reading is a
      wizard with courier, perhaps you could help me get past my
      current "stuck point" as courier would be, if I could get it to
      complete compilation, my first choice as it has proven reliable for
      my home installation.

      (NB: I suppose I could diff the gentoo source vs the courier
      official source and see if there is a difference, but I am fairly
      certain that the problem relates to the perl script not
      understanding the libraries that are built via the crosscompile,
      which relates to the fact that the courier compile process is not
      suitable for the crosscompilation that I am asking it to do, and
      hence it is unlikely that the diff process will give me helpful
      answers).
    • Tizzy
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 11, 2005
        This seems such a great idea, is anyone making any progress?

        (please excuse me if this message goes wrong as I'm a total noob at this
        kind of thing)

        "joule360" <joule360@...> wrote in
        message news:cjq1j3+atba@......