Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: NSLU2 + Lacie Bigger Disk

  • Ben Coombs
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 3, 2004
      Hi,

      I've just joined the list, I've not bought the NSLU yet, but I do have
      an old usb 1.1 laptop, connected to a Lacie big disk (320gb model),
      doing pretty much what the nslu would do, it's acting as an iTunes
      server etc. anyway, the blue disk light is always on, and it sounds
      likes it's always ready for action, when the disk is in use the drive
      gives feedback by flickering the blue light, if you are by the drive
      you can hear a change in the sound. Could it be you are hearing the
      normal standby sound for that drive? I've not noticed the fan coming
      on, but the insides of your Lacie are probably different, i've read
      it's made up of multiple disks (as is mine probably.).

      Cheers,

      Ben

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 4, 2004
        Many thanks for the good advice. I think I'll try the new firmware
        and play around with the os a little.

        my feeling is that the disk will always stay on because the NSLU2 is
        using files from the disk. not a problem though, i was just curious.

        thanks again everybody,
        Jason

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Ben Coombs <bcoombs@g...> wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I've just joined the list, I've not bought the NSLU yet, but I do
        have
        > an old usb 1.1 laptop, connected to a Lacie big disk (320gb model),
        > doing pretty much what the nslu would do, it's acting as an iTunes
        > server etc. anyway, the blue disk light is always on, and it sounds
        > likes it's always ready for action, when the disk is in use the
        drive
        > gives feedback by flickering the blue light, if you are by the drive
        > you can hear a change in the sound. Could it be you are hearing the
        > normal standby sound for that drive? I've not noticed the fan coming
        > on, but the insides of your Lacie are probably different, i've read
        > it's made up of multiple disks (as is mine probably.).
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > Ben

        Service.