Re: NSLU2 + Lacie Bigger Disk

  • Tino
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 3, 2004
      Theirs a service in the crontab that checks the status of the disk
      every 8 hours i think.. you could disable that.

      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "slpercivalsr" <slpercivalsr@y...>
      wrote:

      > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "jmberriman" <jason@b...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi All,
      > >
      > > I've just purchased a NSLU2 along with a Lacie 1tb bigger disk.
      > This
      > > awesome little system is now acting a file server for my many
      > mp3's
      > > etc.
      > >
      > > One small problem is that the Lacie disk never spins down because
      > the
      > > NSLU2 seems to be always reading / writing or connected to the
      > disk.
      > > This causes the Lacie's internal fan to come on and off every 5
      > mins
      > > and the hard disks are constantly spinning - which obviously will
      > > reduce the life of the drives.
      > >
      > > As soon as I shutdown the NSLU2 the Lacie also auto shuts down (it
      > > only wakes up when some data is requested).
      > >
      > > Does anybody else have a similar problem to this ? Do you know how
      > > change the NSLU2 so it's not always "connected" to the Lacie ?
      > >
      > > Many Thanks
      > > Jason
      > Sweeeet! I was thinking about getting one as soon as I can figure
      > out how to access my nslu2 via my dreambox.
    • jmberriman
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 3, 2004
        Thanks for the suggestion. I don't think it's a cron job because the
        Lacie never spins down.

        If I shutdown the NSLU2 the Lacie goes off straight away, then it
        comes straight back on as soon as the NSLU2 is powered up.

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Tino" <tino@i...> wrote:

        > Theirs a service in the crontab that checks the status of the disk
        > every 8 hours i think.. you could disable that.
        >

        > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "slpercivalsr"
        <slpercivalsr@y...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "jmberriman" <jason@b...>
        wrote:

        > > > Hi All,
        > > >
        > > > I've just purchased a NSLU2 along with a Lacie 1tb bigger disk.
        > > This
        > > > awesome little system is now acting a file server for my many
        > > mp3's
        > > > etc.
        > > >
        > > > One small problem is that the Lacie disk never spins down
        because
        > > the
        > > > NSLU2 seems to be always reading / writing or connected to the
        > > disk.
        > > > This causes the Lacie's internal fan to come on and off every 5
        > > mins
        > > > and the hard disks are constantly spinning - which obviously
        will
        > > > reduce the life of the drives.
        > > >
        > > > As soon as I shutdown the NSLU2 the Lacie also auto shuts down
        (it
        > > > only wakes up when some data is requested).
        > > >
        > > > Does anybody else have a similar problem to this ? Do you know
        how
        > > > change the NSLU2 so it's not always "connected" to the Lacie ?
        > > >
        > > > Many Thanks
        > > > Jason
        > > Sweeeet! I was thinking about getting one as soon as I can
        figure
        > > out how to access my nslu2 via my dreambox.
      • Mike Murphy
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 3, 2004
          Presuming that you're using Unslung, you could ssh/telnet into the
          NSLU2 and edit /etc/fstab. Change the "defaults" mount option to
          "noatime". That might reduce disk activity.

          I'm not yet sure if there is a way to tinker with the external drives
          to get them to spin down. The hdparm tool isn't there... and I don't
          know that it can even be applied to USB drives. My guess is that it
          can't, since power management in the Linux kernel didn't support SCSI
          devices (last time I checked)... and USB drives are handled through
          some of the kernel SCSI subsystem.

          Mike
        • Ben Coombs
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 3, 2004
            Hi,

            I've just joined the list, I've not bought the NSLU yet, but I do have
            an old usb 1.1 laptop, connected to a Lacie big disk (320gb model),
            doing pretty much what the nslu would do, it's acting as an iTunes
            server etc. anyway, the blue disk light is always on, and it sounds
            likes it's always ready for action, when the disk is in use the drive
            gives feedback by flickering the blue light, if you are by the drive
            you can hear a change in the sound. Could it be you are hearing the
            normal standby sound for that drive? I've not noticed the fan coming
            on, but the insides of your Lacie are probably different, i've read
            it's made up of multiple disks (as is mine probably.).

            Cheers,

            Ben

            Thanks for the suggestion. I don't think it's a cron job because the
            Lacie never spins down.

            If I shutdown the NSLU2 the Lacie goes off straight away, then it
            comes straight back on as soon as the NSLU2 is powered up.

            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Tino" <tino@i...> wrote:

            > Theirs a service in the crontab that checks the status of the disk
            > every 8 hours i think.. you could disable that.
            >

            > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "slpercivalsr"
            <slpercivalsr@y...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "jmberriman" <jason@b...>
            wrote:

            > > > Hi All,
            > > >
            > > > I've just purchased a NSLU2 along with a Lacie 1tb bigger disk.
            > > This
            > > > awesome little system is now acting a file server for my many
            > > mp3's
            > > > etc.
            > > >
            > > > One small problem is that the Lacie disk never spins down
            because
            > > the
            > > > NSLU2 seems to be always reading / writing or connected to the
            > > disk.
            > > > This causes the Lacie's internal fan to come on and off every 5
            > > mins
            > > > and the hard disks are constantly spinning - which obviously
            will
            > > > reduce the life of the drives.
            > > >
            > > > As soon as I shutdown the NSLU2 the Lacie also auto shuts down
            (it
            > > > only wakes up when some data is requested).
            > > >
            > > > Does anybody else have a similar problem to this ? Do you know
            how
            > > > change the NSLU2 so it's not always "connected" to the Lacie ?
            > > >
            > > > Many Thanks
            > > > Jason
            > > Sweeeet! I was thinking about getting one as soon as I can
            figure
            > > out how to access my nslu2 via my dreambox.

            [ Moderator Note: All static information is slowly moving to the Wiki
            at http://www.nslu2-linux.org ]

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            ==========================
            Ben Coombs
            mailto://bcoombs@...
            callto://bjcoombs (www.skype.com)
            ==========================
          • jmberriman
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 4, 2004
              Many thanks for the good advice. I think I'll try the new firmware
              and play around with the os a little.

              my feeling is that the disk will always stay on because the NSLU2 is
              using files from the disk. not a problem though, i was just curious.

              thanks again everybody,
              Jason

              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Ben Coombs <bcoombs@g...> wrote:
              > Hi,
              >
              > I've just joined the list, I've not bought the NSLU yet, but I do
              have
              > an old usb 1.1 laptop, connected to a Lacie big disk (320gb model),
              > doing pretty much what the nslu would do, it's acting as an iTunes
              > server etc. anyway, the blue disk light is always on, and it sounds
              > likes it's always ready for action, when the disk is in use the
              drive
              > gives feedback by flickering the blue light, if you are by the drive
              > you can hear a change in the sound. Could it be you are hearing the
              > normal standby sound for that drive? I've not noticed the fan coming
              > on, but the insides of your Lacie are probably different, i've read
              > it's made up of multiple disks (as is mine probably.).
              >
              > Cheers,
              >
              > Ben

              Service.