Re: NSLU2 + Lacie Bigger Disk

  • slpercivalsr
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 3, 2004
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "jmberriman" <jason@b...> wrote:

      > Hi All,
      >
      > I've just purchased a NSLU2 along with a Lacie 1tb bigger disk.
      This
      > awesome little system is now acting a file server for my many
      mp3's
      > etc.
      >
      > One small problem is that the Lacie disk never spins down because
      the
      > NSLU2 seems to be always reading / writing or connected to the
      disk.
      > This causes the Lacie's internal fan to come on and off every 5
      mins
      > and the hard disks are constantly spinning - which obviously will
      > reduce the life of the drives.
      >
      > As soon as I shutdown the NSLU2 the Lacie also auto shuts down (it
      > only wakes up when some data is requested).
      >
      > Does anybody else have a similar problem to this ? Do you know how
      > change the NSLU2 so it's not always "connected" to the Lacie ?
      >
      > Many Thanks
      > Jason
      Sweeeet! I was thinking about getting one as soon as I can figure
      out how to access my nslu2 via my dreambox.
    • Tino
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 3, 2004
        Theirs a service in the crontab that checks the status of the disk
        every 8 hours i think.. you could disable that.

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "slpercivalsr" <slpercivalsr@y...>
        wrote:

        > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "jmberriman" <jason@b...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi All,
        > >
        > > I've just purchased a NSLU2 along with a Lacie 1tb bigger disk.
        > This
        > > awesome little system is now acting a file server for my many
        > mp3's
        > > etc.
        > >
        > > One small problem is that the Lacie disk never spins down because
        > the
        > > NSLU2 seems to be always reading / writing or connected to the
        > disk.
        > > This causes the Lacie's internal fan to come on and off every 5
        > mins
        > > and the hard disks are constantly spinning - which obviously will
        > > reduce the life of the drives.
        > >
        > > As soon as I shutdown the NSLU2 the Lacie also auto shuts down (it
        > > only wakes up when some data is requested).
        > >
        > > Does anybody else have a similar problem to this ? Do you know how
        > > change the NSLU2 so it's not always "connected" to the Lacie ?
        > >
        > > Many Thanks
        > > Jason
        > Sweeeet! I was thinking about getting one as soon as I can figure
        > out how to access my nslu2 via my dreambox.
      • jmberriman
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 3, 2004
          Thanks for the suggestion. I don't think it's a cron job because the
          Lacie never spins down.

          If I shutdown the NSLU2 the Lacie goes off straight away, then it
          comes straight back on as soon as the NSLU2 is powered up.

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Tino" <tino@i...> wrote:

          > Theirs a service in the crontab that checks the status of the disk
          > every 8 hours i think.. you could disable that.
          >

          > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "slpercivalsr"
          <slpercivalsr@y...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "jmberriman" <jason@b...>
          wrote:

          > > > Hi All,
          > > >
          > > > I've just purchased a NSLU2 along with a Lacie 1tb bigger disk.
          > > This
          > > > awesome little system is now acting a file server for my many
          > > mp3's
          > > > etc.
          > > >
          > > > One small problem is that the Lacie disk never spins down
          because
          > > the
          > > > NSLU2 seems to be always reading / writing or connected to the
          > > disk.
          > > > This causes the Lacie's internal fan to come on and off every 5
          > > mins
          > > > and the hard disks are constantly spinning - which obviously
          will
          > > > reduce the life of the drives.
          > > >
          > > > As soon as I shutdown the NSLU2 the Lacie also auto shuts down
          (it
          > > > only wakes up when some data is requested).
          > > >
          > > > Does anybody else have a similar problem to this ? Do you know
          how
          > > > change the NSLU2 so it's not always "connected" to the Lacie ?
          > > >
          > > > Many Thanks
          > > > Jason
          > > Sweeeet! I was thinking about getting one as soon as I can
          figure
          > > out how to access my nslu2 via my dreambox.
        • Mike Murphy
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 3, 2004
            Presuming that you're using Unslung, you could ssh/telnet into the
            NSLU2 and edit /etc/fstab. Change the "defaults" mount option to
            "noatime". That might reduce disk activity.

            I'm not yet sure if there is a way to tinker with the external drives
            to get them to spin down. The hdparm tool isn't there... and I don't
            know that it can even be applied to USB drives. My guess is that it
            can't, since power management in the Linux kernel didn't support SCSI
            devices (last time I checked)... and USB drives are handled through
            some of the kernel SCSI subsystem.

            Mike
          • Ben Coombs
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 3, 2004

              I've just joined the list, I've not bought the NSLU yet, but I do have
              an old usb 1.1 laptop, connected to a Lacie big disk (320gb model),
              doing pretty much what the nslu would do, it's acting as an iTunes
              server etc. anyway, the blue disk light is always on, and it sounds
              likes it's always ready for action, when the disk is in use the drive
              gives feedback by flickering the blue light, if you are by the drive
              you can hear a change in the sound. Could it be you are hearing the
              normal standby sound for that drive? I've not noticed the fan coming
              on, but the insides of your Lacie are probably different, i've read
              it's made up of multiple disks (as is mine probably.).

              Cheers,

              Ben

              Thanks for the suggestion. I don't think it's a cron job because the
              Lacie never spins down.

              If I shutdown the NSLU2 the Lacie goes off straight away, then it
              comes straight back on as soon as the NSLU2 is powered up.

              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Tino" <tino@i...> wrote:

              > Theirs a service in the crontab that checks the status of the disk
              > every 8 hours i think.. you could disable that.
              >

              > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "slpercivalsr"
              <slpercivalsr@y...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "jmberriman" <jason@b...>
              wrote:

              > > > Hi All,
              > > >
              > > > I've just purchased a NSLU2 along with a Lacie 1tb bigger disk.
              > > This
              > > > awesome little system is now acting a file server for my many
              > > mp3's
              > > > etc.
              > > >
              > > > One small problem is that the Lacie disk never spins down
              because
              > > the
              > > > NSLU2 seems to be always reading / writing or connected to the
              > > disk.
              > > > This causes the Lacie's internal fan to come on and off every 5
              > > mins
              > > > and the hard disks are constantly spinning - which obviously
              will
              > > > reduce the life of the drives.
              > > >
              > > > As soon as I shutdown the NSLU2 the Lacie also auto shuts down
              (it
              > > > only wakes up when some data is requested).
              > > >
              > > > Does anybody else have a similar problem to this ? Do you know
              how
              > > > change the NSLU2 so it's not always "connected" to the Lacie ?
              > > >
              > > > Many Thanks
              > > > Jason
              > > Sweeeet! I was thinking about getting one as soon as I can
              figure
              > > out how to access my nslu2 via my dreambox.

              [ Moderator Note: All static information is slowly moving to the Wiki
              at http://www.nslu2-linux.org ]

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              ==========================
              Ben Coombs
              mailto://bcoombs@...
              callto://bjcoombs (www.skype.com)
              ==========================
            • jmberriman
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 4, 2004
                Many thanks for the good advice. I think I'll try the new firmware
                and play around with the os a little.

                my feeling is that the disk will always stay on because the NSLU2 is
                using files from the disk. not a problem though, i was just curious.

                thanks again everybody,
                Jason

                --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Ben Coombs <bcoombs@g...> wrote:
                > Hi,
                >
                > I've just joined the list, I've not bought the NSLU yet, but I do
                have
                > an old usb 1.1 laptop, connected to a Lacie big disk (320gb model),
                > doing pretty much what the nslu would do, it's acting as an iTunes
                > server etc. anyway, the blue disk light is always on, and it sounds
                > likes it's always ready for action, when the disk is in use the
                drive
                > gives feedback by flickering the blue light, if you are by the drive
                > you can hear a change in the sound. Could it be you are hearing the
                > normal standby sound for that drive? I've not noticed the fan coming
                > on, but the insides of your Lacie are probably different, i've read
                > it's made up of multiple disks (as is mine probably.).
                >
                > Cheers,
                >
                > Ben

                Service.