NSLU2 + Lacie Bigger Disk

  • jmberriman
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 3, 2004
      Hi All,

      I've just purchased a NSLU2 along with a Lacie 1tb bigger disk. This
      awesome little system is now acting a file server for my many mp3's
      etc.

      One small problem is that the Lacie disk never spins down because the
      NSLU2 seems to be always reading / writing or connected to the disk.
      This causes the Lacie's internal fan to come on and off every 5 mins
      and the hard disks are constantly spinning - which obviously will
      reduce the life of the drives.

      As soon as I shutdown the NSLU2 the Lacie also auto shuts down (it
      only wakes up when some data is requested).

      Does anybody else have a similar problem to this ? Do you know how to
      change the NSLU2 so it's not always "connected" to the Lacie ?

      Many Thanks
      Jason
    • slpercivalsr
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 3, 2004
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "jmberriman" <jason@b...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > I've just purchased a NSLU2 along with a Lacie 1tb bigger disk.
        This
        > awesome little system is now acting a file server for my many
        mp3's
        > etc.
        >
        > One small problem is that the Lacie disk never spins down because
        the
        > NSLU2 seems to be always reading / writing or connected to the
        disk.
        > This causes the Lacie's internal fan to come on and off every 5
        mins
        > and the hard disks are constantly spinning - which obviously will
        > reduce the life of the drives.
        >
        > As soon as I shutdown the NSLU2 the Lacie also auto shuts down (it
        > only wakes up when some data is requested).
        >
        > Does anybody else have a similar problem to this ? Do you know how
        > change the NSLU2 so it's not always "connected" to the Lacie ?
        >
        > Many Thanks
        > Jason
        Sweeeet! I was thinking about getting one as soon as I can figure
        out how to access my nslu2 via my dreambox.
      • Tino
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 3, 2004
          Theirs a service in the crontab that checks the status of the disk
          every 8 hours i think.. you could disable that.

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "slpercivalsr" <slpercivalsr@y...>

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 3, 2004
            Thanks for the suggestion. I don't think it's a cron job because the
            Lacie never spins down.

            If I shutdown the NSLU2 the Lacie goes off straight away, then it
            comes straight back on as soon as the NSLU2 is powered up.

            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Tino" <tino@i...> wrote:

            > Theirs a service in the crontab that checks the status of the disk
            > every 8 hours i think.. you could disable that.
            >

            > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "slpercivalsr"
            <slpercivalsr@y...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "jmberriman" <jason@b...>
            wrote:

            > > > Hi All,
            > > >
            > > > I've just purchased a NSLU2 along with a Lacie 1tb bigger disk.
            > > This
            > > > awesome little system is now acting a file server for my many
            > > mp3's
            > > > etc.
            > > >
            > > > One small problem is that the Lacie disk never spins down
            because
            > > the
            > > > NSLU2 seems to be always reading / writing or connected to the
            > > disk.
            > > > This causes the Lacie's internal fan to come on and off every 5
            > > mins
            > > > and the hard disks are constantly spinning - which obviously
            will
            > > > reduce the life of the drives.
            > > >
            > > > As soon as I shutdown the NSLU2 the Lacie also auto shuts down
            (it
            > > > only wakes up when some data is requested).
            > > >
            > > > Does anybody else have a similar problem to this ? Do you know
            how
            > > > change the NSLU2 so it's not always "connected" to the Lacie ?
            > > >
            > > > Many Thanks
            > > > Jason
            > > Sweeeet! I was thinking about getting one as soon as I can
            figure
            > > out how to access my nslu2 via my dreambox.
          • Mike Murphy
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 3, 2004
              Presuming that you're using Unslung, you could ssh/telnet into the
              NSLU2 and edit /etc/fstab. Change the "defaults" mount option to
              "noatime". That might reduce disk activity.

              I'm not yet sure if there is a way to tinker with the external drives
              to get them to spin down. The hdparm tool isn't there... and I don't
              know that it can even be applied to USB drives. My guess is that it
              can't, since power management in the Linux kernel didn't support SCSI
              devices (last time I checked)... and USB drives are handled through
              some of the kernel SCSI subsystem.

              Mike
            • Ben Coombs
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 3, 2004

                I've just joined the list, I've not bought the NSLU yet, but I do have
                an old usb 1.1 laptop, connected to a Lacie big disk (320gb model),
                doing pretty much what the nslu would do, it's acting as an iTunes
                server etc. anyway, the blue disk light is always on, and it sounds
                likes it's always ready for action, when the disk is in use the drive
                gives feedback by flickering the blue light, if you are by the drive
                you can hear a change in the sound. Could it be you are hearing the
                normal standby sound for that drive? I've not noticed the fan coming
                on, but the insides of your Lacie are probably different, i've read
                it's made up of multiple disks (as is mine probably.).

                Cheers,

                Ben

                Thanks for the suggestion. I don't think it's a cron job because the
                Lacie never spins down.

                If I shutdown the NSLU2 the Lacie goes off straight away, then it
                comes straight back on as soon as the NSLU2 is powered up.

                --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Tino" <tino@i...> wrote:

                > Theirs a service in the crontab that checks the status of the disk
                > every 8 hours i think.. you could disable that.
                >

                > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "slpercivalsr"
                <slpercivalsr@y...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "jmberriman" <jason@b...>
                wrote:

                > > > Hi All,
                > > >
                > > > I've just purchased a NSLU2 along with a Lacie 1tb bigger disk.
                > > This
                > > > awesome little system is now acting a file server for my many
                > > mp3's
                > > > etc.
                > > >
                > > > One small problem is that the Lacie disk never spins down
                because
                > > the
                > > > NSLU2 seems to be always reading / writing or connected to the
                > > disk.
                > > > This causes the Lacie's internal fan to come on and off every 5
                > > mins
                > > > and the hard disks are constantly spinning - which obviously
                will
                > > > reduce the life of the drives.
                > > >
                > > > As soon as I shutdown the NSLU2 the Lacie also auto shuts down
                (it
                > > > only wakes up when some data is requested).
                > > >
                > > > Does anybody else have a similar problem to this ? Do you know
                how
                > > > change the NSLU2 so it's not always "connected" to the Lacie ?
                > > >
                > > > Many Thanks
                > > > Jason
                > > Sweeeet! I was thinking about getting one as soon as I can
                figure
                > > out how to access my nslu2 via my dreambox.

                [ Moderator Note: All static information is slowly moving to the Wiki
                at http://www.nslu2-linux.org ]

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                ==========================
                Ben Coombs
                mailto://bcoombs@...
                callto://bjcoombs (www.skype.com)
                ==========================
              • jmberriman
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 4, 2004
                  Many thanks for the good advice. I think I'll try the new firmware
                  and play around with the os a little.

                  my feeling is that the disk will always stay on because the NSLU2 is
                  using files from the disk. not a problem though, i was just curious.

                  thanks again everybody,
                  Jason

                  --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Ben Coombs <bcoombs@g...> wrote:
                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > I've just joined the list, I've not bought the NSLU yet, but I do
                  have
                  > an old usb 1.1 laptop, connected to a Lacie big disk (320gb model),
                  > doing pretty much what the nslu would do, it's acting as an iTunes
                  > server etc. anyway, the blue disk light is always on, and it sounds
                  > likes it's always ready for action, when the disk is in use the
                  drive
                  > gives feedback by flickering the blue light, if you are by the drive
                  > you can hear a change in the sound. Could it be you are hearing the
                  > normal standby sound for that drive? I've not noticed the fan coming
                  > on, but the insides of your Lacie are probably different, i've read
                  > it's made up of multiple disks (as is mine probably.).
                  >
                  > Cheers,
                  >
                  > Ben

                  Service.