Re: Second Call: Mac to NSLU2 NFS 0.1

  • kvnmcgough
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 2, 2004
      A bit off topic for this forum but I am using Static to linksys router/switch.

      I assume you are just climbing up through your allocated DHCP range? prolly just the
      Mac not releasing forcing the D-Link to use the next one up.

      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "lyndon153" <lvanwagn@r...> wrote:

      > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "lyndon153" <lvanwagn@r...> wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "kvnmcgough" <kevin@m...> wrote:
      > > > has anyone any comment on why I am seeing ro access for NFS shares
      > > > (static and dynamic mounting) from OSX, even with (rw,insecure) or
      > > > mount -o "-P" to (rw) esports?
      > > >
      > > > I can see that the share is mounted uid 502, gid 501....
      > > >
      > > > is there something in the 0.1 build that is not quite kosher?
      > >
      > > Kevin,
      > >
      > > I ran into the same problem. It turned out that my UIDs didn't match between
      the
      > NSLU2
      > > and my Mac. I created accounts with the same UIDs on the NSLU2 and change
      > ownership
      > > to those acounts, and things started working.
      > >
      > > --Lyndon
      >
      > Kevin,
      >
      > Another problem I saw in environment, was that my Mac's IPaddr kept changing on
      > daily basis. (I use DHCP off a Netgear WGT624 - 108Mb 802.11g router)
      >
      > --Lyndon
    • Michael McTails
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 6, 2004
        OS X and NFS can have some "issues". THe problem in this case is that
        the user's id don't line up properly. On Mac OS X, the userid starts on
        501 for the default admin user, and then goes up. The passwd file
        information on OS X is stored in NetInfo, although I do not recommend
        changing it there. The best corse of action is to change your account
        on the NSLU UserID to match up, then CHOWN everything to the new UID. I
        don't believe Mac OS X can automap to a new userid, though I never
        looked into it, so someone correct me if I am wrong

        On Oct 1, 2004, at 11:47 AM, kvnmcgough wrote:

        > has anyone any comment on why I am seeing ro access for NFS shares
        > (static and dynamic mounting) from OSX, even with (rw,insecure) or
        > mount -o "-P" to (rw) esports?
        >
        > I can see that the share is mounted uid 502, gid 501....
        >
        > is there something in the 0.1 build that is not quite kosher?
        >

        > [ Moderator Note: All static information is slowly moving to the Wiki
        > at http://www.nslu2-linux.org ]
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        > <lrec_companion_043004.gif>
        > <l.gif>
        >
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        > Service.

      • joule360
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 6, 2004
          To the best of my knowledge, you are correct. OS X uses a (in my
          opinion) convoluted process of acquiring knowledge of users, groups,
          mounts, hosts, etc, which involves the integration of flat files,
          the NetInfo database, LDAP, NIS, DNS, etc. All of this is actually
          highly configurable, but not necessarily easy to do so as - as far
          as I can tell - different pieces of information have different
          search paths. Unfortunately, Apple has not chose to consolidate the
          info in a single place as do other {LI|U}nix installations
          (eg /etc/nsswitch.conf).

          In any case, you CAN change the uid in NetInfo and then chown all
          the files in your /Users tree on OSX, but like McTails I found it
          easier to change the uid/gids on the nslu2 instead. Since I use
          adduser (built into my version of busybox) rather than the web
          interface for new account addition anyway, that did not mess me up
          at all.

          You can, as an alternative, use a mapping file on the nslu2 so that
          incoming requests are mapped to a local uid from the remote uid by
          the nfs server. There are earlier postings on the NG that use taht
          syntax, which (btw) I have not seen in the nfs man pages. Since I
          prefer to keep uid/gid assignments globally consistent on my lan, I
          did not try out that method.

          nl

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Michael McTails
          <sonicmctails@s...> wrote:
          > OS X and NFS can have some "issues". THe problem in this case is
          that
          > the user's id don't line up properly. On Mac OS X, the userid
          starts on
          > 501 for the default admin user, and then goes up. The passwd file
          > information on OS X is stored in NetInfo, although I do not
          recommend
          > changing it there. The best corse of action is to change your
          account
          > on the NSLU UserID to match up, then CHOWN everything to the new
          UID. I
          > don't believe Mac OS X can automap to a new userid, though I never
          > looked into it, so someone correct me if I am wrong
          >
          > On Oct 1, 2004, at 11:47 AM, kvnmcgough wrote:
          >
          > > has anyone any comment on why I am seeing ro access for NFS
          shares
          > > (static and dynamic mounting) from OSX, even with (rw,insecure)
          or
          > > mount -o "-P" to (rw) esports?
          > >
          > > I can see that the share is mounted uid 502, gid 501....
          > >
          > > is there something in the 0.1 build that is not quite kosher?
          > >

          > > [ Moderator Note: All static information is slowly moving to the
          Wiki
          > > at http://www.nslu2-linux.org ]
          > >

          > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          > > <lrec_companion_043004.gif>
          > > <l.gif>
          > >
          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          > > • Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
          Terms of
          > > Service.

        • kvnmcgough
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 10, 2004
            that is ultimately what I did. I also posted to the wiki in the info section mapping my
            adventures.

            I uid'd and gid'd in parallel with my users in Jaguar. then chown'd...

            \--- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "joule360" <joule360@y...> wrote:

> [...]
            > >
            > > On Oct 1, 2004, at 11:47 AM, kvnmcgough wrote:
            > >
            > > > has anyone any comment on why I am seeing ro access for NFS
            > shares
            > > > (static and dynamic mounting) from OSX, even with (rw,insecure)
            > or
            > > > mount -o "-P" to (rw) esports?
            > > >
            > > > I can see that the share is mounted uid 502, gid 501....
            > > >
            > > > is there something in the 0.1 build that is not quite kosher?
            > > >

            > > > [ Moderator Note: All static information is slowly moving to the
            > Wiki
            > > > at http://www.nslu2-linux.org ]
            > > >

            > > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            > > > <lrec_companion_043004.gif>
            > > > <l.gif>
            > > >
            > > > Yahoo! Groups Links
            > > >
            > > > • To visit your group on the web, go to:
            > > >
            > > > • To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
            > > >
            > > > • Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!

          • ka6sox
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 12, 2004
              Kevin,

              I moved your wiki article to the HowTo section.

              ka6sox