Re: Second Call: Mac to NSLU2 NFS 0.1

  • lyndon153
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 2, 2004
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "lyndon153" <lvanwagn@r...> wrote:

      > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "kvnmcgough" <kevin@m...> wrote:
      > > has anyone any comment on why I am seeing ro access for NFS shares
      > > (static and dynamic mounting) from OSX, even with (rw,insecure) or
      > > mount -o "-P" to (rw) esports?
      > >
      > > I can see that the share is mounted uid 502, gid 501....
      > >
      > > is there something in the 0.1 build that is not quite kosher?
      >
      > Kevin,
      >
      > I ran into the same problem. It turned out that my UIDs didn't match between the
      NSLU2
      > and my Mac. I created accounts with the same UIDs on the NSLU2 and change
      ownership
      > to those acounts, and things started working.
      >
      > --Lyndon

      Kevin,

      Another problem I saw in environment, was that my Mac's IPaddr kept changing on a
      daily basis. (I use DHCP off a Netgear WGT624 - 108Mb 802.11g router)

      --Lyndon
    • kvnmcgough
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 2, 2004
        Yeah: that is where I am and I have been half tempted to get the two to bind... but
        brute-force is working for me.

        By the way,

        In case anyone follows this thread: NetInfo settings :

        I am using opts -P (secure ports) thus I no longer use (rw, insecure) as prototyped
        by Jim in his TomsNetworking Article 2

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "lyndon153" <lvanwagn@r...> wrote:

        > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "kvnmcgough" <kevin@m...> wrote:
        > > has anyone any comment on why I am seeing ro access for NFS shares
        > > (static and dynamic mounting) from OSX, even with (rw,insecure) or
        > > mount -o "-P" to (rw) esports?
        > >
        > > I can see that the share is mounted uid 502, gid 501....
        > >
        > > is there something in the 0.1 build that is not quite kosher?
        >
        > Kevin,
        >
        > I ran into the same problem. It turned out that my UIDs didn't match between the
        NSLU2
        > and my Mac. I created accounts with the same UIDs on the NSLU2 and change
        ownership
        > to those acounts, and things started working.
        >
        > --Lyndon
      • kvnmcgough
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 2, 2004
          A bit off topic for this forum but I am using Static to linksys router/switch.

          I assume you are just climbing up through your allocated DHCP range? prolly just the
          Mac not releasing forcing the D-Link to use the next one up.

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "lyndon153" <lvanwagn@r...> wrote:

          > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "lyndon153" <lvanwagn@r...> wrote:
          > >
          > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "kvnmcgough" <kevin@m...> wrote:
          > > > has anyone any comment on why I am seeing ro access for NFS shares
          > > > (static and dynamic mounting) from OSX, even with (rw,insecure) or
          > > > mount -o "-P" to (rw) esports?
          > > >
          > > > I can see that the share is mounted uid 502, gid 501....
          > > >
          > > > is there something in the 0.1 build that is not quite kosher?
          > >
          > > Kevin,
          > >
          > > I ran into the same problem. It turned out that my UIDs didn't match between
          the
          > NSLU2
          > > and my Mac. I created accounts with the same UIDs on the NSLU2 and change
          > ownership
          > > to those acounts, and things started working.
          > >
          > > --Lyndon
          >
          > Kevin,
          >
          > Another problem I saw in environment, was that my Mac's IPaddr kept changing on
          > daily basis. (I use DHCP off a Netgear WGT624 - 108Mb 802.11g router)
          >
          > --Lyndon
        • Michael McTails
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 6, 2004
            OS X and NFS can have some "issues". THe problem in this case is that
            the user's id don't line up properly. On Mac OS X, the userid starts on
            501 for the default admin user, and then goes up. The passwd file
            information on OS X is stored in NetInfo, although I do not recommend
            changing it there. The best corse of action is to change your account
            on the NSLU UserID to match up, then CHOWN everything to the new UID. I
            don't believe Mac OS X can automap to a new userid, though I never
            looked into it, so someone correct me if I am wrong

            On Oct 1, 2004, at 11:47 AM, kvnmcgough wrote:

            > has anyone any comment on why I am seeing ro access for NFS shares
            > (static and dynamic mounting) from OSX, even with (rw,insecure) or
            > mount -o "-P" to (rw) esports?
            >
            > I can see that the share is mounted uid 502, gid 501....
            >
            > is there something in the 0.1 build that is not quite kosher?
            >

            > [ Moderator Note: All static information is slowly moving to the Wiki
            > at http://www.nslu2-linux.org ]
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            > <lrec_companion_043004.gif>
            > <l.gif>
            >
            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            > Service.

          • joule360
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 6, 2004
              To the best of my knowledge, you are correct. OS X uses a (in my
              opinion) convoluted process of acquiring knowledge of users, groups,
              mounts, hosts, etc, which involves the integration of flat files,
              the NetInfo database, LDAP, NIS, DNS, etc. All of this is actually
              highly configurable, but not necessarily easy to do so as - as far
              as I can tell - different pieces of information have different
              search paths. Unfortunately, Apple has not chose to consolidate the
              info in a single place as do other {LI|U}nix installations
              (eg /etc/nsswitch.conf).

              In any case, you CAN change the uid in NetInfo and then chown all
              the files in your /Users tree on OSX, but like McTails I found it
              easier to change the uid/gids on the nslu2 instead. Since I use
              adduser (built into my version of busybox) rather than the web
              interface for new account addition anyway, that did not mess me up
              at all.

              You can, as an alternative, use a mapping file on the nslu2 so that
              incoming requests are mapped to a local uid from the remote uid by
              the nfs server. There are earlier postings on the NG that use taht
              syntax, which (btw) I have not seen in the nfs man pages. Since I
              prefer to keep uid/gid assignments globally consistent on my lan, I
              did not try out that method.

              nl

              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Michael McTails
              <sonicmctails@s...> wrote:
              > OS X and NFS can have some "issues". THe problem in this case is
              that
              > the user's id don't line up properly. On Mac OS X, the userid
              starts on
              > 501 for the default admin user, and then goes up. The passwd file
              > information on OS X is stored in NetInfo, although I do not
              recommend
              > changing it there. The best corse of action is to change your
              account
              > on the NSLU UserID to match up, then CHOWN everything to the new
              UID. I
              > don't believe Mac OS X can automap to a new userid, though I never
              > looked into it, so someone correct me if I am wrong
              >
              > On Oct 1, 2004, at 11:47 AM, kvnmcgough wrote:
              >
              > > has anyone any comment on why I am seeing ro access for NFS
              shares
              > > (static and dynamic mounting) from OSX, even with (rw,insecure)
              or
              > > mount -o "-P" to (rw) esports?
              > >
              > > I can see that the share is mounted uid 502, gid 501....
              > >
              > > is there something in the 0.1 build that is not quite kosher?
              > >

              > > [ Moderator Note: All static information is slowly moving to the
              Wiki
              > > at http://www.nslu2-linux.org ]
              > >

              > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              > > <lrec_companion_043004.gif>
              > > <l.gif>
              > >
              > > Yahoo! Groups Links

              > > • Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
              Terms of
              > > Service.

            • kvnmcgough
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 10, 2004
                that is ultimately what I did. I also posted to the wiki in the info section mapping my
                adventures.

                I uid'd and gid'd in parallel with my users in Jaguar. then chown'd...

                \--- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "joule360" <joule360@y...> wrote:

> [...]
                > >
                > > On Oct 1, 2004, at 11:47 AM, kvnmcgough wrote:
                > >
                > > > has anyone any comment on why I am seeing ro access for NFS
                > shares
                > > > (static and dynamic mounting) from OSX, even with (rw,insecure)
                > or
                > > > mount -o "-P" to (rw) esports?
                > > >
                > > > I can see that the share is mounted uid 502, gid 501....
                > > >
                > > > is there something in the 0.1 build that is not quite kosher?
                > > >

                > > > [ Moderator Note: All static information is slowly moving to the
                > Wiki
                > > > at http://www.nslu2-linux.org ]
                > > >

                > > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                > > > <lrec_companion_043004.gif>
                > > > <l.gif>
                > > >
                > > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                > > >
                > > > • To visit your group on the web, go to:
                > > >
                > > > • To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                > > >
                > > > • Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!

              • ka6sox
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 12, 2004
                  Kevin,

                  I moved your wiki article to the HowTo section.

                  ka6sox