Re: zd1211b

  • mr_markas
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 9, 2007
      "If you want something done right, you've got to do it yourself" ;-)

      Since others are wanting this too (besides myself), I'll try to keep
      this short since I'm on a break at work and these instructions are
      from my brain's memory.

      I've not wanted to announce it prematurely, but I think I have a
      working zd1211b.ko as of last weekend. Late last Sunday night, the
      wireless-tools were providing me with signal strength of my Access
      Points. I had to stop and go to bed for work. (Sorry) Unfortunately,
      I've been too busy with my work, family, & health issues to get back
      to it. This weekend I'm hoping to get back to testing it out and
      authoring a new/updated nslu2-linux.org Wiki page. I have babysit 4
      pre-teen boys all day Saturday & some of Sunday morning.

      Here's the deal, there's currently 2 zd1211 ipkgs in the pool and you
      know neither will work for zd1211b and the kernel 2.6.16 . If you try
      to install the standard zd1211 ipkg, it's built for the straight up
      zd1211 chip. :
      * zd1211_r83-r1_ixp4xxbe.ipk - for Stable kernel 2.6.16
      * kernel-module-zd1211rw_2.6.20-r2.698_ixp4xxbe.ipk - for kernel 2.6.20

      Here's the nutshell version of how to I built the one from last week.
      I'll have a more complete version in my Wiki write up later this
      weekend (I hope. ) :

      1. Make sure you have the Development environment setup and can build
      things just fine - follow
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/OpenSlug/BuildingTheTarball and you
      should be fine. You should be able to successfully make your own
      wireless-tools as a test:
      bitbake wireless-tools

      2. Next, grab the zd1211_r85 sources (mine come from my Monotone
      environment) and place them in the standard build's openembedded's
      directory that has the zd1211_r77 source tree (remember this is from
      memory for now)

      3. Edit the zd1211_r85 source's Makefile and *ENABLE* the
      ENABLE_ZD1211_B=1 (that's not quite what it is, you'll know when you
      see it.)

      4. Go to the standard's source's zd1211 patches for bitbake and modify
      the 2 Make files to enable ENABLE_ZD1211_B=1 (or whatever) again (All
      the Makefiles & Patches must have matching settings

      5. Go to the top your standard's build tree and run: bitbake zd1211

      6. You should have a successfully compile with a ipkg for the
      zd1211b.ko named zd1211_r85-r1_ixp4xxbe.ipk in the deploy directory

      When you to install it, it will get libiw, libiw-dev and
      wireless-tools from the online pool. It will then give a warning that
      two zd1211 namespaces or so exist. Ignore it. (you'll probably want to
      install `ipkg wpa-supplicant` too.)

      Next, use modprobe or insmod /path/to/zd1211b.ko to get it inserted.

      Do an `lsmod` to see that it's listed. Double check your `dmesg` too.

      To have wlan0 appear, you'll need to `ifconfig wlan0 up` to make the
      interface active

      Then issue `ifconfig` to see how all the NICs look.

      You should then be able to use your wireless-tools (iw* cmds) to do
      you deeds (set security, scan for APs, etc.) Search for wireless-tools
      on http://www.nslu2-linux.org or Google for wireless-tools help if you
      need it.

      I hope to try getting the zd1211rw built since it should contain
      firmware for both zd1211 & zd1211b (according to the sourceforge.net
      files). But that's secondary to getting my current zd1211b.ko build
      connected to the net. (It'll be fun since I don't have USB2Serial
      cable for a direct console yet)

      As to why, the zd1211b gets packaged into the same namespace as the
      zd1211 / zd1211_r83-r1_ixp4xxbe.ipk, I'll have to look over the
      Makefiles to see about modifying them to build a
      zd1211b_r85-r1_ixp4xxbe.ipk (and namespaced appropriately there in).

      I still have more work to do when I have the time. Please be patient -
      this area is under construction. Be sure to where your hard hats and
      safety glasses. :-)

      Later, Markus.
      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 9, 2007
        mr_markas wrote:
        > I hope to try getting the zd1211rw built since it should contain
        > firmware for both zd1211 & zd1211b (according to the sourceforge.net
        > files).

        The latest SlugOS head, has kernel-module-zd1211rw (2.6.20), and
        zd1211-firmware (should work for any version of zd1211rw kernel module)
        packages. These seem to work (to iwlist eth1 scanning at least) on
        slugosle and slugosbe.

        Message 3 of 25 , Mar 9, 2007
          Vaclav Vyvoda wrote:
          > The documentation at http://www.nslu2-linux.org is pathetic to say the least.
          > Documentation is not the correct word for what's available on the site.
          > It's more like sitting at a dirty public restroom, trying to paste
          together
          > messages that unrelated people have written on the walls.

          Exactly *who* are you directing this message at?

          nslu2-linux is an open source community, and the community owns the
          documentation. It's as simple as that. There is no small group of
          people who's job it is to keep the documentation up to date for you.
          That's the responsibility of everyone who learns something, or (more
          importantly) everyone who notices something that's wrong, or (most
          importantly) everyone who is able to summarise existing information into
          a coherent story for new users.

          The only "official" documentation supported by the core team is the
          README file that you get with each binary firmware release. If
          something in that is not crystal clear, then we'll fix it immediately.

          Documentation of contributed packages is up to the person who
          contributes the package, but they should only need to document the
          nslu2-specific aspects of using the package. Package users should get
          package usage documentation from the upstream distribution of the
          package (i.e. learn how to use Apache from apache.org, not from
          nslu2-linux.org).

          The rest is up to the community to support. All the people on the core
          team have normal lives and jobs, just like you do. If you don't have
          the time or inclination to fix the documentation, what makes you expect
          others to?

          There are over 10,000 people on the various nslu2-linux mailing lists.
          You can't tell me that the 10-strong core team are the only people who
          know enough about how this stuff works to document it for new users.
          The core team spends more than too much time already just keeping the
          autobuilders running, and the web site working, and the feeds updated,
          and broken packages fixed, ..., oh, and improving the firmware.

          "Physician, heal thyself."

          -- Rod Whitby
          -- NSLU2-Linux project lead
        • Brian Wood
          Message 4 of 25 , Mar 9, 2007
            On Mar 9, 2007, at 6:28 PM, Rod Whitby wrote:

            > Vaclav Vyvoda wrote:
            >> The documentation at http://www.nslu2-linux.org is pathetic to say
            >> the least.
            >> Documentation is not the correct word for what's available on the
            >> site.
            >> It's more like sitting at a dirty public restroom, trying to paste
            > together
            >> messages that unrelated people have written on the walls.
            >
            > Exactly *who* are you directing this message at?

            <snip>

            Very well said Rod, and you've shamed me onto trying to find some
            time to WiKi-up some stuff as well.

            Brian Wood
            beww@...
            "The World is a comedy to those who think, a tragedy to those who
            feel" - Horace Walpole
          • mr_markas
            Message 5 of 25 , Mar 9, 2007

              > mr_markas wrote:
              > > I hope to try getting the zd1211rw built since it should contain
              > > firmware for both zd1211 & zd1211b (according to the sourceforge.net
              > > files).
              >
              > The latest SlugOS head, has kernel-module-zd1211rw (2.6.20), and
              > zd1211-firmware (should work for any version of zd1211rw kernel module)
              > packages. These seem to work (to iwlist eth1 scanning at least) on
              > slugosle and slugosbe.
              >
              > -- Rod

              ya. I saw that. I just haven't determined the level of effort to get
              the zd1211rw working with the current stable kernel (ala backportish
              for those not on the edge).

              I also haven't (actively looked for or) seen the release schedule for
              the next stable version of the SlugOS images, with current kernel, for
              non-developers - which would likely have the zd1211rw available.

              I figure for now, I'll get the basics working for the current release
              and see how things progress from there.

              Later, Markus.
              Message 6 of 25 , Mar 9, 2007
                mr_markas wrote:
                > I also haven't (actively looked for or) seen the release schedule for
                > the next stable version of the SlugOS images, with current kernel, for
                > non-developers - which would likely have the zd1211rw available.

                We're in feature freeze, and have some SlugOS 4.3 alpha images available
                for brave developers who are active in the IRC channel (please do not
                apply by email, you need to be in IRC to participate in real time).

                Once we have at least 10 alpha testers reporting success, we can think
                about releasing a beta.

                -- Rod
              • Phil Endecott
                Message 7 of 25 , Mar 10, 2007
                  > I have
                  > wasted a whole week, not kidding, trying to setup a cross build
                  > environment

                  I have also wasted huge amounts of time on things that would have been
                  straightforward if they had been better documented (or documented at all).

                  For every person like Vas who complains on this list I suspect there
                  are many others who silently give up.

                  I would like to make a proposal: We should set aside a period of time -
                  perhaps a week - when we *all* focus *exclusively* on dragging the
                  documentation up to date.

                  We could perhaps have some sort of incentive for the most enthusiastic contributors.

                  Please let me know if you would support this idea. I would be prepared
                  to co-ordinate, if there were sufficient support.

                  Phil.
                • Brian Wood
                  Message 8 of 25 , Mar 10, 2007
                    On Mar 10, 2007, at 7:38 AM, Phil Endecott wrote:

                    >> I have
                    >> wasted a whole week, not kidding, trying to setup a cross build
                    >> environment
                    >
                    > I have also wasted huge amounts of time on things that would have been
                    > straightforward if they had been better documented (or documented
                    > at all).
                    >
                    > For every person like Vas who complains on this list I suspect there
                    > are many others who silently give up.
                    >
                    > I would like to make a proposal: We should set aside a period of
                    > time -
                    > perhaps a week - when we *all* focus *exclusively* on dragging the
                    > documentation up to date.
                    >
                    > We could perhaps have some sort of incentive for the most
                    > enthusiastic contributors.
                    >
                    > Please let me know if you would support this idea. I would be
                    > prepared
                    > to co-ordinate, if there were sufficient support.

                    I agree wholeheartedly, though I would like to think that I do not
                    need any sort of additional incentive to help.

                    The problem, as with most things, is coordinating time. Most of us
                    are incredibly busy. I happen to be retired and even though I'm not
                    working I never seem to have enough time to get things done. Getting
                    even 3 people to agree on when to do something can be hard.

                    I'm not a programmer (unless you count Fortran way back when) but I
                    can certainly type, know the King's English fairly well and have
                    experience with Unix from a SysAdmin and User point of view, and have
                    been playing with 4 slugs for a couple of years, and Linux since 1994.

                    I guess I'm one of the worst offenders. somebody was having problems
                    getting an MPEG3 player working on a slug, a path I know I have
                    travelled in the past, and I could have sworn I documented it, but I
                    couldn't find it when I needed it, and so could not help when I
                    should have been able to.

                    I guess what I'm saying is: Count Me In, I'll find the time somehow.
                  • Hamish van Groeneveld
                    Message 9 of 25 , Mar 12, 2007
                      Brian Wood wrote:
                      > On Mar 10, 2007, at 7:38 AM, Phil Endecott wrote:
                      >
                      >>> I have wasted a whole week, not kidding, trying to setup a cross build
                      >>> environment I have also wasted huge amounts of time on things that would have been
                      >>> straightforward if they had been better documented (or documented at all).
                      >> For every person like Vas who complains on this list I suspect there
                      >> are many others who silently give up.

                      *nods* there are. I've wasted countless hours. (not that I mind that,
                      but not getting much closer to a result made me just wait till someone
                      else figures it out and pre-packages it for me).

                      As the camera project I was/am working on requires lots of other things
                      too, I focussed on those. (see a rather lengthy post by me a couple of a
                      few months ago).

                      I've tried and failed on
                      - setting up a cross-compile env
                      - compiling the zd1211b driver module
                      - compiling the zd1211b driver module from the zd1211rw-project.

                      A much heard comment is, " well, if there isn't proper documentation,
                      write it". Personally I'd like to, but I see little point in describing
                      a process that doesn't lead to a working result, but failure.
                      My inexperience also make, that I have a hard time just figuring out
                      which steps are needed, let alone how to perform those.

                      I did manage to setup a working emulated debian-arm env. in qemu but the
                      differences in kernel versions made any driver modules compiled in there
                      unusable for the slug. Maybe for developers setting up the cross-dev
                      env., or compiling a new kernel is a piece of cake, by all means make
                      the docs slightly more newbie compatible. I'll follow 'm and report the
                      results, and add any questions or solutions I encounter.

                      Spending time on it isn't a problem for me (read: I wouldn't at all mind
                      helping out), but without more elaborate docs, being at my current
                      level, I am getting nowhere.

                      Hamish
                    • spikes_nslu2
                      Message 10 of 25 , Mar 12, 2007

                        > mr_markas wrote:
                        > > I also haven't (actively looked for or) seen the release schedule for
                        > > the next stable version of the SlugOS images, with current kernel, for
                        > > non-developers - which would likely have the zd1211rw available.
                        >
                        > We're in feature freeze, and have some SlugOS 4.3 alpha images available
                        > for brave developers who are active in the IRC channel (please do not
                        > apply by email, you need to be in IRC to participate in real time).
                        >
                        > Once we have at least 10 alpha testers reporting success, we can think
                        > about releasing a beta.
                        >
                        > -- Rod

                        i've been using the alpha of 4.3 ( using the build that was on the
                        snapshot website. seems to be working fine.
                        i am yet to try the zd1211rw, i am waiting to get my hands on a
                        powered hub. but am interested in people's experiences.
                        Message 11 of 25 , Mar 12, 2007
                          Hamish van Groeneveld wrote:
                          > I've tried and failed on
                          > - setting up a cross-compile env

                          If you use the Master Makefile, and are trying to set up to build
                          monotone HEAD, and are having problems, then visit the IRC channel and
                          ask for help.

                          > - compiling the zd1211b driver module

                          Dunno about that.

                          > - compiling the zd1211b driver module from the zd1211rw-project.

                          This compiles with SlugOS head, and is even in the unstable feeds.

                          > A much heard comment is, " well, if there isn't proper documentation,
                          > write it". Personally I'd like to, but I see little point in describing
                          > a process that doesn't lead to a working result, but failure.
                          > My inexperience also make, that I have a hard time just figuring out
                          > which steps are needed, let alone how to perform those.

                          Basically, there are two ways you can go:

                          1) Use the binary release, and the packages in the stable feed. Forget
                          about compiling stuff yourself, cause the binary release is old enough
                          that none of the core developers use it any more, so the compilation
                          environment has probably suffered from bitrot.

                          2) Build from latest unstable HEAD.

                          You can get support in the IRC channel for either of those two
                          scenarios. If you go down a different path, then you're less likely to
                          get support, cause no-one else is doing what you are doing.

                          Once you get the support for either of those two scenarios, then you
                          update the wiki documentation to match.

                          -- Rod
                        • Hamish van Groeneveld
                          Message 12 of 25 , Mar 13, 2007
                            Rod,

                            That sounds like a plan.

                            As soon as my job-application stuff is out of the way (things can change
                            rather fast from loads of spare time to much less), I will get on it.

                            It'd be nice to give a tiny bit back since I received quite a bit.

                            Hamish
                            __

                            --
                            Hamish van Groeneveld