Re: [nslu2-linux] FTP

  • Jim Buzbee
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 9 7:35 AM
      On Mon, 9 Aug 2004, Reggie Suplido wrote:

      > Is there a way I can FTP to the NSLU2 rather than by SMB?

      I havn't built an ftp server, but I think it would be fairly easy. If
      you want to try it, look for the link to cross-compiler tools on my
      site, find ftp server source and give it a try...

      www.batbox.org/nslu2-linux.html

      Jim

      > Thanks.
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      Jim Buzbee "I was gratified to be able to
      jbuzbee@... answer promptly, and I did. I
      http://batbox.org said I didn't know." Mark Twain
    • Aristotle Allen
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 9 9:41 AM
        FTP would be great, i kind of gave up on the idea, but I would love to
        have it. NFS and CIFS are simply too chatty to be used over long
        distances, FTP would definately solve that problem. Then I could set
        up an external route that will actually be useful.

        -

        Ari

        On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 08:35:53 -0600 (MDT), Jim Buzbee <jbuzbee@...> wrote:
        > On Mon, 9 Aug 2004, Reggie Suplido wrote:
        >
        > > Is there a way I can FTP to the NSLU2 rather than by SMB?
        >
        > I havn't built an ftp server, but I think it would be fairly easy. If
        > you want to try it, look for the link to cross-compiler tools on my
        > site, find ftp server source and give it a try...
        >
        > www.batbox.org/nslu2-linux.html
        >
        > Jim
        >

        > > Thanks.
        > >

        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        -
        Aristotle B. Allen
      • joule360
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 9 11:41 AM
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Aristotle Allen
          <aristotle.allen@g...> wrote:
          > FTP would be great, i kind of gave up on the idea, but I would love
          > have it. NFS and CIFS are simply too chatty to be used over long
          > distances, FTP would definately solve that problem. Then I could
          set
          > up an external route that will actually be useful.
          >
          > -

          NFS is certainly insecure outside of a secured LAN - one can easily
          spoof NFS provided one can connect to the LAN with a machine to which
          one has root access.

          I'm not so certain about FTP either - ftp does transmit data in clear
          format, and if I understand it correctly, FTP sends username/password
          data via cleartext as well.

          CIFS is actually not all that bad since you can, *I think*, encrypt
          password transmission.

          For totally secure transmission over an external network, what about
          using ssh tunnelling - which means getting scp, sftp, etc compiled
          for the nslu2.

          nl
        • Jim Buzbee
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 9 11:55 AM
            On Mon, 9 Aug 2004, joule360 wrote:

            > For totally secure transmission over an external network, what about
            > using ssh tunnelling - which means getting scp, sftp, etc compiled
            > for the nslu2.
            >
            > nl

            Check out dropbear. It's an embedded version of ssh

            http://matt.ucc.asn.au/dropbear/dropbear.html

            Jim

          • WRT54G.yg@datmail.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 9 12:40 PM
              > Check out dropbear. It's an embedded version of ssh
              >
              > http://matt.ucc.asn.au/dropbear/dropbear.html
              >
              > Jim

              I know that is the one used with the WRT54G sveasoft firmware...but I tried
              looking for documentation for that sshd, so I could add user/id and port
              forwarding to my WRT54G (similar to the cygwin ssh client)...but I was
              unable to find more than the most rudimentary of documentation on dropbear.

              Did I just miss it, or does someone else know where I can find more info on
              the subject?

              David Troesch | Atlanta, GA | ICQ# 2333123
              Powerpro Yahoogroup - Come, talk and learn. http://tinyurl.com/2sf7d
              Funstuff: Yoda of Borg are we. Futile is resistance. Assimilate you, we
              will.
            • WRT54G.yg@datmail.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 9 12:41 PM
                > For totally secure transmission over an external network, what about
                > using ssh tunnelling - which means getting scp, sftp, etc compiled
                > for the nslu2.

                Wouldn't the addition of a ssh v2 server, give you sftp capabilities? Sounds
                like something nice.... =)

                David Troesch | Atlanta, GA | ICQ# 2333123
                So you think file sharing kills innovation? http://tinyurl.com/ywqq2
                Funstuff: In mathematics or physics, simplifying can be complicated.
              • joule360
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 9 12:56 PM
                  Surely...if we are going to make the files on the NSLU2 available
                  outside of a firewalled lan, security needs to be addressed. Speaking
                  of which, btw: since presumably ALL of these units are shipped with
                  the same passwords for root, the telnet rescue account, etc, putting
                  your NSLU2 on the network is goign to create a security hole once
                  someone out there cracks the default passwords (I'm not extending any
                  effort in that direction having easily created my own account with
                  root access separate from the linksys accounts, but I assume SOMEONE
                  is or will be soon enough).

                  Presumably none of the web access files and utilities have a password
                  hard coded into them that will get broken if you change these default
                  passwords; I haven't had a chance to scan all of them to see what
                  might break, and some of the .cgi scripts are binary so that's a bit
                  more difficult. Of course, you can use the web access to change the
                  admin password, but not root or mytelnetrescueuser.

                  Just a word of warning on security.

                  nl

                  --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, WRT54G.yg@d... wrote:
                  > > For totally secure transmission over an external network, what
                  about
                  > > using ssh tunnelling - which means getting scp, sftp, etc compiled
                  > > for the nslu2.
                  >
                  > Wouldn't the addition of a ssh v2 server, give you sftp
                  capabilities? Sounds
                  > like something nice.... =)
                  >
                  > David Troesch | Atlanta, GA | ICQ# 2333123
                  > So you think file sharing kills innovation? http://tinyurl.com/ywqq2
                  > Funstuff: In mathematics or physics, simplifying can be complicated.
                • Eugene
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 10 12:22 AM
                    --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "joule360" <joule360@y...> wrote:
                    > btw: since presumably ALL of these units are shipped with
                    > the same passwords for root, the telnet rescue account, etc, putting
                    > your NSLU2 on the network is goign to create a security hole once
                    > someone out there cracks the default passwords (I'm not extending any
                    > effort in that direction having easily created my own account with
                    > root access separate from the linksys accounts, but I assume SOMEONE
                    > is or will be soon enough).

                    It won't be a problem unless TelNet is on, and if someone has turned
                    it on I'm sure they'll reset the passwords first thing.
                  • Brian
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 10 3:42 AM
                      --- On Mon 08/09, joule360 < joule360@... > wrote:

                      > Surely...if we are going to make the files on the NSLU2 available
                      > outside of a firewalled lan, security needs to be addressed.
                      > Speaking
                      > of which, btw: since presumably ALL of these units are shipped
                      > with the same passwords for root, the telnet rescue account, etc,
                      > putting your NSLU2 on the network is goign to create a security
                      > hole once someone out there cracks the default passwords (I'm not
                      > extending any effort in that direction having easily created my
                      > own account with root access separate from the linksys accounts,
                      > but I assume SOMEONE is or will be soon enough).

                      > Just a word of warning on security.

                      Good point!

                      As it is, there is a SIMPLE way to replace the root password, that is, mounting the drive on another machine, and changing it to something (like the one for the 'admin' user), telnetting in, and changing it using 'passwd'.

                      As for mounting it, using a 'live' Linux disk/CD, you can easily mount it, even on a dedicated Windows computer. I used my XP laptop, as it was just easier to do it on there.

                      Brian

                      No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.
                    • phew_uk2001
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 7, 2004
                        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Reggie Suplido" <rsuplido@y...>
                        wrote:
                        > Is there a way I can FTP to the NSLU2 rather than by SMB?
                        >
                        > Thanks.

                        With thanks to the much needed help that I got from peeps in this
                        forum; I have managed to get wu-ftpd-2.6.2 running on my nslu2
                        (unslung 1.7).

                        I can (for now) only access it via an anonymous account, but assume
                        that is down to my inability to set up the configuration properly.

                        ..and thanks again for the effort and patience of all those here.

                        phew.
                      • joule360
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 7, 2004
                          Just as an aside, I am fairly certain that ftpd was on the stock
                          linksys install as well. I don't know much re the differences between
                          various ftp daemons.

                          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "phew_uk2001" <phew@m...> wrote:
                          > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Reggie Suplido"
                          <rsuplido@y...>
                          > wrote:
                          > > Is there a way I can FTP to the NSLU2 rather than by SMB?
                          > >
                          > > Thanks.
                          >
                          > With thanks to the much needed help that I got from peeps in this
                          > forum; I have managed to get wu-ftpd-2.6.2 running on my nslu2
                          > (unslung 1.7).
                          >
                          > I can (for now) only access it via an anonymous account, but assume
                          > that is down to my inability to set up the configuration properly.
                          >
                          > ..and thanks again for the effort and patience of all those here.
                          >
                          > phew.
                        • Dave Bixler
                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 7, 2004
                            If it wasn't, it was in that romfs file.

                            wrote:

                            Is there a way I can FTP to the NSLU2 rather than by SMB?

                            Thanks.

                            With thanks to the much needed help that I got from peeps in this
                            forum; I have managed to get wu-ftpd-2.6.2 running on my nslu2
                            (unslung 1.7).

                            I can (for now) only access it via an anonymous account, but assume
                            that is down to my inability to set up the configuration properly.

                            ..and thanks again for the effort and patience of all those here.

                            phew.

                            http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/O7EolB/TM

                                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                          • joule360
                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 7, 2004
                              Yes, now that you mention it, I think that's where I got it.

                              nl

                              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Dave Bixler <dbixler@w...> wrote:
                              > If it wasn't, it was in that romfs file.
                              >
                              > joule360 wrote:
                              >
                              > >Just as an aside, I am fairly certain that ftpd was on the stock
                              > >linksys install as well. I don't know much re the differences
                              between
                              > >various ftp daemons.
                              > >
                              > >--- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "phew_uk2001" <phew@m...>
                              wrote:

                              > >>--- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Reggie Suplido"
                              > >>

                              > ><rsuplido@y...>

                              > >>With thanks to the much needed help that I got from peeps in this
                              > >>forum; I have managed to get wu-ftpd-2.6.2 running on my nslu2
                              > >>(unslung 1.7).
                              > >>
                              > >>I can (for now) only access it via an anonymous account, but
                              assume
                              > >>that is down to my inability to set up the configuration properly.
                              > >>
                              > >>..and thanks again for the effort and patience of all those here.
                              > >>
                              > >>phew.
                              > >>

                              > >Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • phew_uk2001
                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 7, 2004
                                The 'thanks' was for me being able to compile at all!

                                This seemed as good a thread to close as any.

                                I was unaware of any ftpd in the original; could this maybe have been
                                mentioned earlier (maybe i missed it)..and the thread closed out then?