Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Hm, problem with my installer or slug?

Expand Messages
  • Victor Putz
    As I wait for Debian RC2 to come out, a kind gentleman has sent me an installer image which may work. Unfortunately, while I can put my slug into upgrade mode
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 4, 2007
      As I wait for Debian RC2 to come out, a kind gentleman has sent me an
      installer image which may work. Unfortunately, while I can put my slug
      into upgrade mode and happily reflash it, the result is this: it boots up
      with many happy flashies and then leaves the system light on yellow and
      the ethernet light on green, and just sits there.

      Is this a known "oh yes, just do this and it fixes it" problem or do I
      probably have a bad image?

      (Also, recently my brave slug has decided that it would be good fun to
      just not have the ethernet (and accompanying LED) come on. Known problem,
      or is something wonky with it?

      -->VPutz
    • Martin Michlmayr
      ... ARe you sure that your network settings are correct and complete, i.e. do you have DNS, etc set? -- Martin Michlmayr http://www.cyrius.com/
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 5, 2007
        * Victor Putz <vputz@...> [2007-03-04 18:06]:
        > Is this a known "oh yes, just do this and it fixes it" problem or do I
        > probably have a bad image?

        ARe you sure that your network settings are correct and complete, i.e.
        do you have DNS, etc set?
        --
        Martin Michlmayr
        http://www.cyrius.com/
      • Gordon Farquharson
        Hi Victor ... Did you ever resolve this issue? Gordon -- Gordon Farquharson
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 19, 2007
          Hi Victor

          On 3/4/07, Victor Putz <vputz@...> wrote:
          > As I wait for Debian RC2 to come out, a kind gentleman has sent me an
          > installer image which may work. Unfortunately, while I can put my slug
          > into upgrade mode and happily reflash it, the result is this: it boots up
          > with many happy flashies and then leaves the system light on yellow and
          > the ethernet light on green, and just sits there.

          Did you ever resolve this issue?

          Gordon

          --
          Gordon Farquharson
        • Bob Cox
          In article , ... I am only mentioning my similar problem in case it is of any help to anyone. I
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 20, 2007
            In article <97a0a9ac0703192009q6057dce0ufb8dec4d2d489a5@...>,
            Gordon Farquharson <gordonfarquharson@...> wrote:

            > Hi Victor
            >
            > On 3/4/07, Victor Putz <vputz@...> wrote:
            >> As I wait for Debian RC2 to come out, a kind gentleman has sent me an
            >> installer image which may work. Unfortunately, while I can put my slug
            >> into upgrade mode and happily reflash it, the result is this: it boots up
            >> with many happy flashies and then leaves the system light on yellow and
            >> the ethernet light on green, and just sits there.
            >
            > Did you ever resolve this issue?

            I am only mentioning my similar problem in case it is of any help to
            anyone.

            I used the recently released RC2 and had exactly these symptoms. As it
            happened, I left the slug untouched in this state and it finally came to
            life after after, probably, 1.5 to 2 hours.

            I noticed the time and date were all wrong and suspected that startup
            was hanging at the hwclock script. I temporarily disabled hwclock.sh
            and rebooted with no problems, apart from the time and date. Installing
            ntpdate meant that this could be corrected, but was not really
            correcting the root problem.

            It seem that the proper fix was to sort out the 'stuck' system clock by
            removing and refitting the CR2032 battery. All is now well and
            hwclock.sh executes properly.

            --
            Bob Cox. Stoke Gifford, near Bristol, UK.
            http://bobcox.com/slug/
            http://pippin.co.uk/
          • Gordon Farquharson
            ... Somebody once mentioned that the Linksys firmware enabled the RTC on the NSLU2, and therefore, the system had to be powered up once with the Linksys
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 20, 2007
              On 3/20/07, Bob Cox <bobcox1955@...> wrote:
              > It seem that the proper fix was to sort out the 'stuck' system clock by
              > removing and refitting the CR2032 battery. All is now well and
              > hwclock.sh executes properly.

              Somebody once mentioned that the Linksys firmware enabled the RTC on
              the NSLU2, and therefore, the system had to be powered up once with
              the Linksys firmware. I have no evidence for or against this
              information, and I can't find the posting in which it was mentioned,
              but people have reported that the battery technique works [1].

              Thanks for reminding me of this problem. It will probably help several
              people out, and I'll add it to the wiki under the troubleshooting or
              FAQ section for future reference.

              Gordon

              [1] http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Info/RTCChipInfo

              --
              Gordon Farquharson
            • Bob Cox
              In article , ... The slug had briefly been tested with the Linksys firmware and the machine name
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 20, 2007
                In article <97a0a9ac0703200720w25b18018nd6a9458d880b24a7@...>,
                Gordon Farquharson <gordonfarquharson@...> wrote:

                > On 3/20/07, Bob Cox <bobcox1955@...> wrote:
                >> It seem that the proper fix was to sort out the 'stuck' system clock by
                >> removing and refitting the CR2032 battery. All is now well and
                >> hwclock.sh executes properly.
                >
                > Somebody once mentioned that the Linksys firmware enabled the RTC on
                > the NSLU2, and therefore, the system had to be powered up once with
                > the Linksys firmware. I have no evidence for or against this
                > information, and I can't find the posting in which it was mentioned,
                > but people have reported that the battery technique works [1].

                The slug had briefly been tested with the Linksys firmware and the
                machine name and static IP address were successfully 'remembered' from
                then.

                > Thanks for reminding me of this problem. It will probably help several
                > people out, and I'll add it to the wiki under the troubleshooting or
                > FAQ section for future reference.
                >
                > Gordon
                >
                > [1] http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Info/RTCChipInfo

                I also short-circuited across where the battery had been to 'make sure'
                ;-)

                --
                Bob Cox. Stoke Gifford, near Bristol, UK.
                http://bobcox.com/slug/
                http://pippin.co.uk/
              • Gordon Farquharson
                Hi Victor ... This is great news! I have no idea what was wrong, but I m very pleased that your slug is now working. I m CC ing this message to the nslu2-linux
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 22, 2007
                  Hi Victor

                  On 3/21/07, Victor Putz <vputz@...> wrote:

                  > On Tue, 20 Mar 2007, Gordon Farquharson wrote:

                  > > I'm also stumped. Does your NSLU2 work with the Linksys or SlugOS
                  > > (www.slug-firmware.net) firmware? If it does, then it would confirm
                  > > that your hardware is working.
                  >
                  > Aha! I replaced the battery with a new one, which appeared to do nothing.
                  > Reflashing with the Linksys firmware DID work, after which reflashing with
                  > the installer worked perfectly. Strange!

                  This is great news! I have no idea what was wrong, but I'm very
                  pleased that your slug is now working.

                  I'm CC'ing this message to the nslu2-linux mailing list because this
                  information may help others.

                  Gordon

                  --
                  Gordon Farquharson
                Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.