print server on NSLU2

  • no2chem
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2004
      I've looked into some uses for the NSLU2, and one handy feature to
      have would be to have it as a print server. However, this might mean
      having lots of vendor-specific binary issues. IT might be
      possible,however, for the print server to just forward the port and
      have the driver dependent on the end-users computer... I believe
      that is how the commerical usb print servers operate if I am not
      mistaken. Anyone want to take a look at this?
    • Mike Murphy
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2004
        This could be done, but only with a custom kernel that isn't
        USB-crippled. That is, unless we can create device nodes and write
        directly to the /dev/usb/x USB ports, without needing the usbprinter
        driver.

        I thought about doing this exact thing, but ended up breaking down and
        buying a JetDirect because I couldn't find good documentation for the
        JetDirect protocol (I need scanning support too). I'd be willing to work
        on such a project if someone can hunt down and/or reverse-engineer the
        JetDirect stuff. We'd also need someone who knows how to create and
        write to the device nodes without kernel modification, if that is at all
        possible.

        Mike

        -- Original: --

        Message: 16

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 1, 2004
          I have been (unsuccessfully) pouring through the lpr documenation.
          Samba does printing well, and my theory is that we are, at least in
          proof-of-concept, half of the way there with file sharing.