iPod Update?

  • say_hello_world
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2007
      Greets all,

      I got a slug a couple of weeks ago, now have it up and going with
      OpenSlug running cups, mt-daapd (streaming to a roku soundbridge) and
      samba shares. What a great little gadget.

      I was pondering the idea of trying to get the slug to do my ipod
      management for me. What I was hoping to accomplish is get the slug to
      download my podcasts automatically using a daily cron job, then have
      it so I can plug in my ipod, update it, then grab it and go.

      As far as software, I think I can probably use Perl scripts that are
      available online:

      1. To download the podcasts:
      http://www.podcastingnews.com/topics/Podcast_Software.html
      http://freshmeat.net/projects/w98podfetch/

      2. To update the ipod:
      http://www.gnu.org/software/gnupod/

      The rest, as far as I can tell, would be scripting the downloads and
      the hotplug script to mount the drive, do the update and then 'eject'
      the ipod.

      Just wondering if anyone else has done something similar and/or if
      anyone would be interested in hashing out details with me. I'm
      reasonably new to Linux, so this might be a touch ambitious!

      cheers.