Re: SlugAsAudioPlayer (Unslung 6.5)

  • dng42
    Message 1 of 39 , Mar 2, 2007
      Can someone post a good set of instructions regarding getting the
      sound card working? From what I've read on the nslu2-linux site and
      this conversation I'm a bit confused. Here's what I understand for unslung

      1. Get a card based on the c-media chipset and plug it in. (ok, got it)
      2. install "kernel-module-audio" package, "kernel-module-soundcore",
      and "insmod soundcore", "insmod audio" (not sure about all this)
      3. maybe put this in your /opt/etc/init.d/S99mpd script (whatever that
      is?)
      4. Don't bother with the alsa software, its not available.
      5. install madplay or mpd (doesnt seem too scary ;))
      6. play a file and see if it works

      If anyone could elaborate on those instructions and let me know if I'm
      right or wrong I'd be greatful.
    • nettsr
      Message 39 of 39 , Apr 11, 2007
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Jeroen Massar <jeroen@...> wrote:

        > >> OK... Plugged this thing into an OpenSUSE 10.1 machine and
        installed
        > >> the Generic USB driver and I get audio. Volume control is only
        On or
        > >> Off, otherwise it works.
        > >>
        > >> ...so, any ideas how we can make this work on the slug? Is there
        any
        > >> info that I can provide from the SUSE machine?

        > What you need to do on the OpenSUSE box is: "lsmod" this will show
        which
        > modules are loaded. Also check "dmesg" and see what driver gets
        loaded
        > when you plug it in. Doing "lsmod", then plugging the device in, and
        > then "lsmod" again and comparing (lsmod >bla; *plug in*; lsmod
        >bla2;
        > diff bla bla2) will show you which driver it uses.
        >
        > Then just get that driver installed on your slug and off you go...

        Cool... this is the kind of info I'm looking for. Makes perfect sense.

        > http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/ doesn't have it listed though.
        > So if it works you might want to add it to that DB.

        Definately will do.