Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: Debian installer dropping network

  • Gordon Farquharson
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 1, 2007
      On 3/1/07, emm_is <emm_is@...> wrote:

      > My NSLU2 does seem to have a persistent problem of sometimes requiring
      > two reflashes in order to get a reliable firmware image.

      Hmm, that is definitely not normal. I often reflash my development
      slug multiple times on a daily basis, and have never had to reflash it
      twice in a row to write an image. Odd.

      > So, is there a way to do a reflash after a kernel update if the system
      > does not come back (transfer new kernel image from debian root device
      > to remote system and upslug/sercomm) / where does one find the
      > firmware that was flashed; or how does one back out of such a change
      > if the new kernel has caused the problem?

      I'm not which version of the kernel you had previously :-) Depending
      on what you had installed when you did the manual upgrade using dpkg,
      you could have one of several problems.

      If you previously had installed Debian using the beta 2 installer, and
      had not upgraded since then, then you can roughly follow the procedure
      at http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/upgrade.html. I say roughly,
      because you won't be able to do the installation stuff with apt-get,
      but you can edit the configuration files by attaching your NSLU2 hard
      drive to another linux box. You will have to manually extract the
      NPE-B microcode from an existing installer image on slug-firmware.net
      by following the procedure at
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Debian/HomePage (section "Obtaining
      the NPE-B microcode").

      If your slug had the kernel supplied with the RC1 installer image
      (2.6.17-9-ixp4xx), and had not upgraded since then, then it is likely
      that you need to copy the NPE-B microcode to /lib/firmware on your
      NSLU2 hard drive to get network access with the 2.6.18-4-ixp kernel.
      This microcode is required for the open source NPE driver that exists
      with 2.6.18-4-ixp4xx. Again, you can get the NPE-B microcode using the
      procedure from the wiki.

      If you had the previous version of the 2.6.18 kernel
      (2.6.18-3-ixp4xx), then I suggest you use upslug2 to flash the image
      at http://cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/files/sda1-2.6.18-4.bin to your
      slug. Follow the normal upgrade procedure, i.e. put your slug in
      upgrade mode by holding down the reset button and turn your slug on;
      when the Ready/Status LED turns red, release the reset button; the
      Ready/Status LED should start flashing; on your host machine, run
      'upslug2 -i sda1-2.6.18-4.bin' as root. The image should start
      downloading to the slug. The procedure is described at
      http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html#upgrade-mode. The
      image contains kernel version 2.6.18.dfsg.1-11 which is the current
      version in testing (2.6.18 + the fixed NPE driver recently migrated
      into testing). If the image works (it should), then do an 'apt-get
      upgrade' to update the kernel modules stored on the disk.

      I think that I have covered most of the possible scenarios.

      BTW, the way to backup you existing firmware image is described at
      http://nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Debian/FAQ. This image can then be
      transferred flashed back to the slug using upslug2.

      Let me know how it goes.

      Gordon

      --
      Gordon Farquharson
    • emm_is
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 2, 2007
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Farquharson"
        <gordonfarquharson@...> wrote:

        > On 3/1/07, emm_is <emm_is@...> wrote:
        >
        > > My NSLU2 does seem to have a persistent problem of sometimes
        requiring
        > > two reflashes in order to get a reliable firmware image.
        >
        > Hmm, that is definitely not normal. I often reflash my development
        > slug multiple times on a daily basis, and have never had to reflash it
        > twice in a row to write an image. Odd.

        Unfortunately on my box it seems to be the way it is.

        Thanks for your advice. Since I had just upgraded from a debootslug
        debian I reinstalled using a microcode added RC2 daily (took two
        flashes...), worked fine.

        The new install took me from 2.6.18-3-ixp4xx to 2.6.18-4-ixp4xx which
        seems to have fixed the samba large file transfer failure problem (or
        at least is seems ok for 2Gb).

        According to the FAQ to copy the firmware one types:

        cat mtdblock* > image

        which has no path and so my system can't find it.

        Thanks.
      • Gordon Farquharson
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 2, 2007
          On 3/2/07, emm_is <emm_is@...> wrote:

          > Thanks for your advice. Since I had just upgraded from a debootslug
          > debian I reinstalled using a microcode added RC2 daily (took two
          > flashes...), worked fine.

          Great !

          > The new install took me from 2.6.18-3-ixp4xx to 2.6.18-4-ixp4xx which
          > seems to have fixed the samba large file transfer failure problem (or
          > at least is seems ok for 2Gb).

          Yup, 2.6.18-4-ixp4xx contains version 0.3.1 of the NPE driver which
          fixes the networking problems that people were seeing.

          > According to the FAQ to copy the firmware one types:
          >
          > cat mtdblock* > image

          Thanks for pointing out that mistake out. I just fixed the answer on
          the wiki. The correct command is 'cat /dev/mtdblock* > image'.

          Gordon

          --
          Gordon Farquharson
        • Victor Putz
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 3, 2007
            This may only be tangentially related, but ever since I apt-get upgraded to
            2.6.18-3-ixp4xx, I've been unable to boot at all into the slug. I even had the
            adventure of trying to manually install the files in the 2.6.18-4-ixp4xx deb
            (manually unpacking it on my gentoo box and copying files over and then trying to
            manually make an initrd using the slug's drive mounted onto my desktop) but to no
            avail. The slug will boot, get to where the ready/status light is amber, and then
            read actively from the drive for about 90 seconds, ostensibly going through part of
            boot process, and then freeze. Now it's also started turning off its ethernet connection
            light. I did flash with the 2.6.18-4-ixp4xx bin file mentioned earlier in this thread--
            again to no avail. Since the debian installer is currently broken according to the
            web page, I can't even reinstall. I'm completely flummoxed, and since the slug was my
            mailserver as well as NAS and some other goodies, my home network has been pretty borked
            for the past couple of weeks trying to get this working again.

            Any suggestions at all? I'm sure my manually-created initrd is probably broken somewhere,
            but I was desparate--and it's tough manually installing a .deb on an attached drive with
            a different architecture and distro... I'm willing to do a full reinstall if it means
            I get my slug back working with Debian.
          • Gordon Farquharson
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 3, 2007
              Hi Victor

              On 3/3/07, Victor Putz <vputz@...> wrote:

              > I did flash with the 2.6.18-4-ixp4xx bin file mentioned earlier in this
              > thread--again to no avail.

              I presume you mean that tried

              http://cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/files/sda1-2.6.18-4.bin

              Which version of the kernel did you have before upgrading to
              2.6.18-3-ixp4xx and did you originally install from the beta2 or the
              rc1 image ? Also, do you have NPE-B and NPE-B.01000201 in
              /lib/firmware on your root partition ?

              Gordon

              --
              Gordon Farquharson
            • Gordon Farquharson
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 3, 2007
                Hi Victor

                On 3/3/07, Victor Putz <vputz@...> wrote:
                > Since the debian installer is currently broken according to the
                > web page, I can't even reinstall.

                If you do decide to reinstall, here is a procedure for obtaining a
                working installer image:

                1. Follow the instructions at

                http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Debian/HomePage

                under "Obtaining the NPE-B microcode" to get a copy of the NPE-B
                microcode if you don't have a copy, or copy the microcode from your
                slug drive (/lib/firmware).

                2. Download the current daily build of the official installer image from

                http://people.debian.org/~kmuto/d-i/images/daily/ixp4xx/netboot/di-nslu2.bin

                3. Add the microcode to the daily build image by using the script
                right at the end of

                http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Debian/BuildImage

                (I think one doesn't need to do all the stuff in that script, but it
                should work - I haven't tested it though.)

                4. Update the wiki if you find errors ;-)

                Let me know if run into any problems.

                Gordon

                --
                Gordon Farquharson
              • find_bernie
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 3, 2007
                  Are you certain that this is an issue with the installer?
                  Have you tried running the beast for a while on the stock firmware, or
                  on unslung?

                  My only other thought is to try another daily image.
                • find_bernie
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 3, 2007
                    Apologies for my last post. I'm new to this forum and haven't figured
                    out where everything is yet. Thought that was a new post.
                  • Victor Putz
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 3, 2007
                      > I presume you mean that tried
                      > http://cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/files/sda1-2.6.18-4.bin

                      Yes, that's the one (and the accompanying deb)

                      > which version of the kernel did you have before upgrading to
                      > 2.6.18-3-ixp4xx and did you originally install from the beta2 or the rc1
                      > image?

                      Good question and I don't honestly know how to answer it. I can say that
                      I did install from an installer and that the only kernels now in my
                      /boot directory are 2.6.18-3-ixp4xx and the (borked?) 2.6.18-4-ixp4xx, with
                      accompanying initrds.

                      > Also, do you have NPE-B and NPE-B.01000201 in
                      > /lib/firmware on your root partition?

                      Yep, I have both of those (NPE-B is a symlink to the other) dated 19/12/06.

                      Thanks--I appreciate the help.