APEX 1.4.17 and fat slugs (memory upgrade)

  • Marc Singer
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 26, 2007
      This version of APEX has a couple of improvements for the NSLU2 and
      the IXP4xx's.

      1) The NOR flash timing has been substantially improved. The memory
      access time was previously configured as the slowest possible, a
      legacy from RedBoot. Now, it is closer to the 180ns cycle time
      dictated by the data sheet. Load times from flash are improved as
      well as write times.

      2) The NOR flash driver uses the cache while reading. This further
      reduces system boot time.

      3) There is a new command, sdram-init, that attempts to find the
      correct and optimal SDRAM configuration. It works on my 128MiB slug
      that has 512Mib chips. This code needs to be tested on a system with
      four memory chips.

      The sdram-init command attempts to cope with the possibility that the
      memory controller may go off line while it is being reinitialized. It
      uses cache lock-down to hold the critical sections of APEX in memory
      while the SDRAM controller is reconfigured. AFAICT, this effort was
      not necessary. Disabling the code makes no difference; it works just
      the same.

      The upshot of this is that *if* it works on four chip systems, we can
      support fat slugs without replacing RedBoot. A boon, I think.

      If someone with a four chip slug would be willing to test this for me,
      I'd appreciate it.

      Cheers.
    • stephane641
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 26, 2007
        Nice work Marc.
        I just flashed my old 1.3.13 apex to 1.4.17 and it works great.
        I'm only using 32megs but I'll see if I can find the necessary chips
        to upgrade.

        Keep up the excellent work,

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Marc Singer" <eleventen@...> wrote:

        > This version of APEX has a couple of improvements for the NSLU2 and
        > the IXP4xx's.
        >
        > 1) The NOR flash timing has been substantially improved. The memory
        > access time was previously configured as the slowest possible, a
        > legacy from RedBoot. Now, it is closer to the 180ns cycle time
        > dictated by the data sheet. Load times from flash are improved as
        > well as write times.
        >
        > 2) The NOR flash driver uses the cache while reading. This further
        > reduces system boot time.
        >
        > 3) There is a new command, sdram-init, that attempts to find the
        > correct and optimal SDRAM configuration. It works on my 128MiB slug
        > that has 512Mib chips. This code needs to be tested on a system with
        > four memory chips.
        >
        > The sdram-init command attempts to cope with the possibility that the
        > memory controller may go off line while it is being reinitialized. It
        > uses cache lock-down to hold the critical sections of APEX in memory
        > while the SDRAM controller is reconfigured. AFAICT, this effort was
        > not necessary. Disabling the code makes no difference; it works just
        > the same.
        >
        > The upshot of this is that *if* it works on four chip systems, we can
        > support fat slugs without replacing RedBoot. A boon, I think.
        >
        > If someone with a four chip slug would be willing to test this for me,
        > I'd appreciate it.
        >
        > Cheers.

      • sdm485
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 26, 2007
          I am having difficulties getting it to build when it attempts
          'initialize-sdram.c' Lots of undeclared variables, CLEANALL_DCACHE,
          DRAIN_WRITE_BUFFER, INVALIDATE_DTLB_VA, INVALIDATE_ICACHE,
          ENABLE_DCACHE_LOCK, CP15_WAIT etc...

          I downloaded apex-1.4.17.tar.gz.

          The configuration I used was Intel ixp42x platform, enabling the
          second sdram bank and changing the size to 0x04000000. I am building
          it on another slug (openslug 2.7, 32M) which has built all previous
          versions of apex.

          Just tried with only change is Intel IXP42X. Same thing.

          Hope this is useful,
          Steve (4 chip 128M)

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Marc Singer" <eleventen@...> wrote:

          > This version of APEX has a couple of improvements for the NSLU2 and
          > the IXP4xx's.
          >
          > 1) The NOR flash timing has been substantially improved. The memory
          > access time was previously configured as the slowest possible, a
          > legacy from RedBoot. Now, it is closer to the 180ns cycle time
          > dictated by the data sheet. Load times from flash are improved as
          > well as write times.
          >
          > 2) The NOR flash driver uses the cache while reading. This further
          > reduces system boot time.
          >
          > 3) There is a new command, sdram-init, that attempts to find the
          > correct and optimal SDRAM configuration. It works on my 128MiB slug
          > that has 512Mib chips. This code needs to be tested on a system with
          > four memory chips.
          >
          > The sdram-init command attempts to cope with the possibility that the
          > memory controller may go off line while it is being reinitialized. It
          > uses cache lock-down to hold the critical sections of APEX in memory
          > while the SDRAM controller is reconfigured. AFAICT, this effort was
          > not necessary. Disabling the code makes no difference; it works just
          > the same.
          >
          > The upshot of this is that *if* it works on four chip systems, we can
          > support fat slugs without replacing RedBoot. A boon, I think.
          >
          > If someone with a four chip slug would be willing to test this for me,
          > I'd appreciate it.
          >
          > Cheers.

        • sdm485
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 26, 2007
            Adding further info...
            I added cp15.h to the includes in initialize-sdram.c and that got it
            to compile. I did a 'make clean' and removed the .config file to start
            clean. I then configured for 2 banks of 64M and built it. I booted to
            the apex-1.4.16 command line of the flash based bootloader in my
            fatslug. I used xreceive to load apex-1.4.17 to 0x01000000 and started
            apex 1.4.17. I tried 'boot' and the kernel loaded and booted but
            halted for lack of initrd. I then did the whole process again and used
            the command:

            apex> boot console-ttyS0,115200 root=/dev/mtdblock4 rw
            rootfstype=jffs2 init=/linuxrc

            It booted properly and reports 128M in 2 64M banks.

            So I think it passes the command line as expected and finds the RAM as
            expected :)

            Steve

            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "sdm485" <steve@...> wrote:

            > I am having difficulties getting it to build when it attempts
            > 'initialize-sdram.c' Lots of undeclared variables, CLEANALL_DCACHE,
            > DRAIN_WRITE_BUFFER, INVALIDATE_DTLB_VA, INVALIDATE_ICACHE,
            > ENABLE_DCACHE_LOCK, CP15_WAIT etc...
            >
            > I downloaded apex-1.4.17.tar.gz.
            >
            > The configuration I used was Intel ixp42x platform, enabling the
            > second sdram bank and changing the size to 0x04000000. I am building
            > it on another slug (openslug 2.7, 32M) which has built all previous
            > versions of apex.
            >
            > Just tried with only change is Intel IXP42X. Same thing.
            >
            > Hope this is useful,
            > Steve (4 chip 128M)
            >
            > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Marc Singer" <eleventen@> wrote:
            > >
            > > This version of APEX has a couple of improvements for the NSLU2 and
            > > the IXP4xx's.
            > >
            > > 1) The NOR flash timing has been substantially improved. The memory
            > > access time was previously configured as the slowest possible, a
            > > legacy from RedBoot. Now, it is closer to the 180ns cycle time
            > > dictated by the data sheet. Load times from flash are improved as
            > > well as write times.
            > >
            > > 2) The NOR flash driver uses the cache while reading. This further
            > > reduces system boot time.
            > >
            > > 3) There is a new command, sdram-init, that attempts to find the
            > > correct and optimal SDRAM configuration. It works on my 128MiB slug
            > > that has 512Mib chips. This code needs to be tested on a system with
            > > four memory chips.
            > >
            > > The sdram-init command attempts to cope with the possibility that the
            > > memory controller may go off line while it is being reinitialized. It
            > > uses cache lock-down to hold the critical sections of APEX in memory
            > > while the SDRAM controller is reconfigured. AFAICT, this effort was
            > > not necessary. Disabling the code makes no difference; it works just
            > > the same.
            > >
            > > The upshot of this is that *if* it works on four chip systems, we can
            > > support fat slugs without replacing RedBoot. A boon, I think.
            > >
            > > If someone with a four chip slug would be willing to test this for me,
            > > I'd appreciate it.
            > >
            > > Cheers.

          • CN
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 26, 2007
              On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 09:21:16 -0800, Marc Singer wrote:

              > The upshot of this is that *if* it works on four chip systems, we can
              > support fat slugs without replacing RedBoot. A boon, I think.

              Marc, this is indeed very promising. I do not have fat slug yet, but I am very
              interested in this. I am watching from the sidelines for the dust to settle before I
              will try anything. I may even have to buy a new slug to try this :)

              Cordially, Chacko
            • sdhippisleycox
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 26, 2007
                --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "CN" <t4chacko@...> wrote:

                > On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 09:21:16 -0800, Marc Singer wrote:
                >
                > > The upshot of this is that *if* it works on four chip systems, we can
                > > support fat slugs without replacing RedBoot. A boon, I think.
                > >

                > Marc, this is indeed very promising. I do not have fat slug yet,
                but I am very
                > interested in this. I am watching from the sidelines for the dust
                to settle before I
                > will try anything. I may even have to buy a new slug to try this :)
                >
                > Cordially, Chacko

                I'm tempted too... too tempted!

                I've found a source of 32Mx16 chips on eBay uk & bought one. EBay
                #270093845558, a Micron PC133 with a close up of its 8 48lc32m16a2
                32Mx16 chips. There are currently 24 DIMMs left at £17 + p&p.

                Now to practice my soldering...

                All the best
                Steve
              • Dan Smith
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 26, 2007
                  On 26/02/07, sdhippisleycox <s.d.hippisley-cox@...> wrote:
                  > I've found a source of 32Mx16 chips on eBay uk & bought one. EBay
                  > #270093845558, a Micron PC133 with a close up of its 8 48lc32m16a2
                  > 32Mx16 chips. There are currently 24 DIMMs left at £17 + p&p.

                  Great minds think alike :-)

                  I'm awaiting delivery of one of those DIMMs too. I thought I was the
                  only one straining to identify chip part numbers on DIMMs on eBay!

                  Dan
                • Marc Singer
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 26, 2007
                    Odd about the header since part of the release process makes sure that
                    every configuration still builds.  I'll check on it.

                    Also, it would be helpful to see the console output just to make sure that
                    everything is working as expected.  I want to make sure that the sdram-init
                    properly detected your memory organization and then memscan was able to
                    update the memory map.

                    Also, it is important that you had not previously booted with APEX as your
                    primary bootloader, thus configuring SDRAM for fat-ness before using 1.4.17.

                    So, it would be nice to see:

                      1) Boot system to apex 1.4.16.
                      2) Show output of version command to prove that only 32 MiB of memory
                         is available.
                      3) Download apex 1.4.17.
                      4) Run sdram-init and memscan.
                      5)  Send me all of that console output.

                    Cheers.

                  • Marc Singer
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 26, 2007
                      On 2/26/07, Marc Singer <eleventen@...> wrote:
                      Odd about the header since part of the release process makes sure that
                      every configuration still builds.  I'll check on it.

                      I see why this slipped through.  It'll be fixed in 1.4.18.

                      On 2/26/07, sdm485 < steve@...> wrote:

> [...]

                      > > reduces system boot time.
                      > >
                      > > 3) There is a new command, sdram-init, that attempts to find the
                      > > correct and optimal SDRAM configuration. It works on my 128MiB slug
                      > > that has 512Mib chips. This code needs to be tested on a system with
                      > > four memory chips.
                      > >
                      > > The sdram-init command attempts to cope with the possibility that the
                      > > memory controller may go off line while it is being reinitialized. It
                      > > uses cache lock-down to hold the critical sections of APEX in memory
                      > > while the SDRAM controller is reconfigured. AFAICT, this effort was
                      > > not necessary. Disabling the code makes no difference; it works just
                      > > the same.
                      > >
                      > > The upshot of this is that *if* it works on four chip systems, we can
                      > > support fat slugs without replacing RedBoot. A boon, I think.
                      > >
                      > > If someone with a four chip slug would be willing to test this for me,

                    • x_pic_info
                      Message 10 of 18 , May 30, 2007
                        Steve,
                        I'm having some problems with the same configuration as you have:
                        2 banks of 64M. I built apex but sdram-init command says I have 2
                        banks of 128 MiB which actually is half the amount of ram i have.

                        If I don't pass any 'mem=XXM@0x00" command to the kernel, Linux will
                        detect just 32M. If I pass the option 'mem=128M@0x00", the slug
                        hangs up after "Uncompressing Linux ....... Now booting the kernel"
                        message.

                        If I pass the option 'mem=64M@0x00' to the kernel, Linux boots and
                        the total amount of memory detected is 64M.

                        Any hints please?

                        Cheers,
                        Daniel

                      • sdm485
                        Message 11 of 18 , May 30, 2007
                          My fatslug is using Apex 1.4.16:

                          apex> printenv
                          cmdline *= root=/dev/mtdblock4 rootfstype=jffs2 init=/linuxrc
                          rtc-x1205.probe=0,0x6f mem=128M
                          startup *= copy $kernelsrc $bootaddr; copy $ramdisksrc $ramdiskaddr;
                          wait 50 Type ^C key to cancel autoboot.; boot
                          kernelsrc *= nor:0x60010+0xffff0
                          bootaddr *= 0x00008000

                          It is configured and built with both SDRAM banks enabled and Size=
                          0x04000000 for each bank.

                          Looking at the previous posts, I am not sure what the problem is but I
                          did not find it worth reflashing to 1.4.17 at the end of the day IIRC.
                          The benefits of 1.4.17 weren't necessary for me. It is very possible
                          that the fact that I never ran 1.4.17 out of flash meant that I did
                          not really test it properly. The version in flash (1.4.16) was setting
                          up the RAM prior to 1.4.17. I just ran the test described below again
                          and got the same results; no MEM= command and it found all 128M.

                          The last I worked with apex, there was a issue with it not reliably
                          finding multiple banks. I don't know if this was resolved. What I
                          found was that apex was finding both banks just fine but was not
                          passing the info along to the kernel. In effect, it passed only the
                          first bank. I think you are seeing the results of this. If you do not
                          pass a memory size, the kernel defaults to 32M (probably an NSLU2
                          default). If you pass 128M it crashes on boot trying to load into an
                          incorrect memory size. If you pass 64M, it sees the first bank and all
                          is well.

                          The only suggestion I can give is to use apex 1.4.16 and build it as
                          described above. You can use your version 1.4.17 to load a 1.4.16
                          version and then execute it, boot with it and test things out to see
                          if it fixes things.

                          Steve

                          Message 12 of 18 , May 31, 2007
                            x_pic_info wrote:
                            > Steve,
                            > I'm having some problems with the same configuration as you have:
                            > 2 banks of 64M. I built apex but sdram-init command says I have 2
                            > banks of 128 MiB which actually is half the amount of ram i have.

                            There is a new release of Apex (1.5.4) which is intended to fix this
                            problem. Please test it out.

                            -- Rod
                          • sdm485
                            Message 13 of 18 , May 31, 2007
                              I just built and tested this on my 4 chip 128M fatslug and it works
                              perfectly. The command line passed does not include the mem=128M, it
                              finds both banks and it indicates 127788(K) free. It was tested in
                              flash as the only bootloader. Thanks to all for the update.
                              Steve

                              > x_pic_info wrote:
                              > > Steve,
                              > > I'm having some problems with the same configuration as you have:
                              > > 2 banks of 64M. I built apex but sdram-init command says I have 2
                              > > banks of 128 MiB which actually is half the amount of ram i have.
                              >
                              > There is a new release of Apex (1.5.4) which is intended to fix this
                              > problem. Please test it out.
                              >
                              > -- Rod

                            • sdm485
                              Message 14 of 18 , May 31, 2007
                                I did not make it clear in the previous post that I have built and
                                tested apex-1.5.4 and found that it worked fine. I am still a bit
                                curious as to why I have to configure for 2 banks and the correct size
                                when building the binary if the code is figuring things out anyway...
                                Steve

                                --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "sdm485" <steve@...> wrote:

                                > I just built and tested this on my 4 chip 128M fatslug and it works
                                > perfectly. The command line passed does not include the mem=128M, it
                                > finds both banks and it indicates 127788(K) free. It was tested in
                                > flash as the only bootloader. Thanks to all for the update.
                                > Steve
                                >
                                > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Rod Whitby <rod@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > x_pic_info wrote:
                                > > > Steve,
                                > > > I'm having some problems with the same configuration as you have:
                                > > > 2 banks of 64M. I built apex but sdram-init command says I have 2
                                > > > banks of 128 MiB which actually is half the amount of ram i have.
                                > >
                                > > There is a new release of Apex (1.5.4) which is intended to fix this
                                > > problem. Please test it out.
                                > >
                                > > -- Rod

                              • Ted Killmeyer
                                Message 15 of 18 , May 31, 2007
                                  Steve,
                                  Would you be interested with modifying a SLUG for others....
                                  I think that if you are we need to take this off line.

                                  Ted

                                  > I did not make it clear in the previous post that I have built and
                                  > tested apex-1.5.4 and found that it worked fine. I am still a bit
                                  > curious as to why I have to configure for 2 banks and the correct size
                                  > when building the binary if the code is figuring things out anyway...
                                  > Steve
                                  >

                                  > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "sdm485" <steve@...> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > I just built and tested this on my 4 chip 128M fatslug and it works
                                  > > perfectly. The command line passed does not include the mem=128M, it
                                  > > finds both banks and it indicates 127788(K) free. It was tested in
                                  > > flash as the only bootloader. Thanks to all for the update.
                                  > > Steve
                                  > >
                                  > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Rod Whitby <rod@> wrote:

                                  > > > There is a new release of Apex (1.5.4) which is intended to fix this
                                  > > > problem. Please test it out.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > -- Rod
                                  > > >

                                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                • Rob Lockhart
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jun 1, 2007
                                    Steve, can you please test this using memtest (just ipkg for it), and
                                    then test the entire memory. If you get some DMA errors, then that is
                                    where I am. My FatSlug works fine, so long as I don't use up to the
                                    max memory. Already posted a response to the Linux-Kernel-ARM list
                                    but I was told to contact the MM folks (I don't have such an elaborate
                                    contact list).

                                    If you use the "memtest -u 0+256m" switches, then no lines to the
                                    kernel need changing (at least that was my experience). That was with
                                    1.4.16 Apex.

                                    The killer for me was rsync. It is a memory hog (with 30k files), and
                                    would use attempt to use all memory. Once it got close to using all
                                    the memory, I'd get DMA errors and then the PCI DMA driver would crash
                                    (then obviously the network went down). No way to fix it other than
                                    reboot or serial port login, verify network is still working (since
                                    it's not on PCI bus - dedicated MAC in IXP420), and then reboot.

                                    On 5/31/07, sdm485 <steve@...> wrote:
                                    > I did not make it clear in the previous post that I have built and
                                    > tested apex-1.5.4 and found that it worked fine. I am still a bit
                                    > curious as to why I have to configure for 2 banks and the correct size
                                    > when building the binary if the code is figuring things out anyway...
                                    > Steve
                                    >

                                    > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "sdm485" <steve@...> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > I just built and tested this on my 4 chip 128M fatslug and it works
                                    > > perfectly. The command line passed does not include the mem=128M, it
                                    > > finds both banks and it indicates 127788(K) free. It was tested in
                                    > > flash as the only bootloader. Thanks to all for the update.
                                    > > Steve
                                    > >
                                    > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Rod Whitby <rod@> wrote:

                                    > > > There is a new release of Apex (1.5.4) which is intended to fix this
                                    > > > problem. Please test it out.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > -- Rod
                                  • sdm485
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jun 1, 2007
                                      I installed 'memtester' via ipkg and tested 120M and it passed. I
                                      tried 128M (all of the available ram) and the process was killed by
                                      the kernel after running out of memory which makes sense...:).
                                      However, 128M gets into the second bank and proved that the addressing
                                      was working. The README on memtester mentions that if you ask it to
                                      test more memory than is available, it will try regardless of getting
                                      a lock on the memory or not so the error messages do start flying by...

                                      Thinking you might mean 'memscan' in apex, I ran that test and it
                                      found 128M of memory which again makes sense.

                                      There used to be a dma related error for arm processors in some
                                      previous kernel versions but this was fixed a long time ago. In fact,
                                      at the time, the quick fix was to comment out the line in the dma
                                      routine which was reporting the error and it worked just fine;
                                      removing the symptom to effect a cure I suppose. Current kernels don't
                                      have these dma problems.

                                      The most likely problem IMHO is that you have a floating address line
                                      pin on your second bank of RAM, assuming you have two banks of course.
                                      When I first built my fatslug, it worked fine but later got flaky. I
                                      discovered a bad solder joint and it has worked fine ever since.
                                      Sometimes they are so close that just putting a test probe on the pin
                                      will make it contact so I suggest a careful check for such a problem.

                                      If you want to figure out which (if any) address lines are having
                                      troubles, use apex to copy a pattern at 0x00, say 00,01,02,03,etc and
                                      then look for the same pattern at the 64M boundary. Another test is
                                      fill chunks of memory with a known value and look for that value up
                                      higher memory on address line boundaries. Perhaps it is the chip
                                      select line and the chips are not getting selected as a separate bank
                                      (just thinking out loud).

                                      My fatslug works just like a regular NSLU2 except that it does not
                                      swap unless I ask it to do something huge like build boost. I don't
                                      see any 'fatslug' unique behaviour at all other than a generally more
                                      responsive unit. I have always used the zImage-ixp4xxbe as the kernel
                                      since it does not fiddle with the command line from apex. I currently
                                      am running the 2.6.21 kernel which is the current beta version.

                                      I am still not convinced that I have actually tested the memscan and
                                      sdram-init functions in apex. I say this because I have always built
                                      apex with both sdram banks enabled and the memory size set to
                                      0x04000000 (64M/bank). I have never ever changed the boot command line
                                      to run the memscan and sdram-init commands prior to loading the kernel
                                      to RAM and booting. Maybe the problem is simply that the second bank
                                      is never actually getting enabled by apex. Even the writer of Apex,
                                      Marc Singer, is not fully convinced it supports 2 banks according to
                                      his website 'http://wiki.buici.com/wiki/Main_Page'.

                                      Hope this helps and sorry for the length (whew....;)),

                                      Steve

                                      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Lockhart" <rlockhar@...> wrote:

                                      > Steve, can you please test this using memtest (just ipkg for it), and
                                      > then test the entire memory. If you get some DMA errors, then that is
                                      > where I am. My FatSlug works fine, so long as I don't use up to the
                                      > max memory. Already posted a response to the Linux-Kernel-ARM list
                                      > but I was told to contact the MM folks (I don't have such an elaborate
                                      > contact list).
                                      >
                                      > If you use the "memtest -u 0+256m" switches, then no lines to the
                                      > kernel need changing (at least that was my experience). That was with
                                      > 1.4.16 Apex.
                                      >
                                      > The killer for me was rsync. It is a memory hog (with 30k files), and
                                      > would use attempt to use all memory. Once it got close to using all
                                      > the memory, I'd get DMA errors and then the PCI DMA driver would crash
                                      > (then obviously the network went down). No way to fix it other than
                                      > reboot or serial port login, verify network is still working (since
                                      > it's not on PCI bus - dedicated MAC in IXP420), and then reboot.
                                      >

                                      > On 5/31/07, sdm485 <steve@...> wrote:
                                      > > I did not make it clear in the previous post that I have built and
                                      > > tested apex-1.5.4 and found that it worked fine. I am still a bit
                                      > > curious as to why I have to configure for 2 banks and the correct size
                                      > > when building the binary if the code is figuring things out anyway...
                                      > > Steve
                                      > >

                                      > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "sdm485" <steve@> wrote:
                                      > > >
                                      > > > I just built and tested this on my 4 chip 128M fatslug and it works
                                      > > > perfectly. The command line passed does not include the mem=128M, it
                                      > > > finds both banks and it indicates 127788(K) free. It was tested in
                                      > > > flash as the only bootloader. Thanks to all for the update.
                                      > > > Steve

                                    • sdm485
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jun 1, 2007
                                        Replying to my own post....
                                        I just tested apex 1.5.4 on my 128M 2 bank fatslug configured for a
                                        32M NSLU2 and if I actually tell sdram-init that I have 2 banks of 64M
                                        chips ('sdram-init 0x4000000 2'), it reports 2 banks of 32M chips for
                                        a total size of 64M and not 128M (which is the actual RAM size). If I
                                        run sdram-init without any parameters, it finds the banks and size
                                        correctly on its' own. If I then run 'memscan -u 0x0+256m' it reports
                                        the correct memory size and updates the memory map sent to the kernel.
                                        If I then copy the kernel to the boot address and type boot, linux
                                        starts and all is fine and all memory is found.

                                        My flashed apex (2 banks of 64M) is sent to the kernel as 2 separate
                                        areas of RAM that are contiguous (0x0,size=0x4000000 and 0x4000000,
                                        size=0x4000000). After running sdram-init and memscan, the size passed
                                        is 0x000+0x8000000 which is the same size but a single block. So, I
                                        think it can be concluded that sdram-init and memscan find and
                                        configure the memory and report the size to the kernel correctly. So I
                                        think I actually did test these functions and found that they work.
                                        ..... for what it's worth..... :).

                                        So I built apex version 1.5.4 for an NSLU2 using the standard memory
                                        size. I enabled the command 'memscan' since I would be needing it; I
                                        overrode the kernel command line with 'root=/dev/mtdblock4
                                        rootfstype=jffs2 init=/linuxrc rtc-x1205.probe=0,0x6f' and set the
                                        startup command line to 'sdram-init; memscan 0x0+256m; copy $kernelsrc
                                        $bootaddr; wait 50 Type ^C to cancel autoboot.; boot'

                                        Not sure if the rtc statement is needed with 2.6.21 but it works...

                                        Ran this from RAM and it boots linux and finds all the RAM.