Re: Unslung usb sound

  • paul518869
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 25, 2007
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Brian Wood <beww@...> wrote:

      > On Feb 23, 2007, at 12:24 AM, CN wrote:
      >
      > > On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 23:14:05 -0700, Brian Wood wrote:
      > >
      > >> If I get time over the weekend I'll boot a spare slug and try and
      > >> drag out one of the USB soundcards I was using.
      > >
      > > Brian,
      > >
      > > Curious... What exactly is a USB soundcard? Is this just a usb
      > > stick where mp3
      > > files are stored or is this something special for audio?
      > >
      > > Cordially, Chacko
      > >

      > Well in my case I was using:
      >
      > http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=HE-280B&cat=SND
      >
      > The 5.1 stuff is a function of software drivers, I was just using it
      > as a stereo device.
      >
      > I have found the drive and the sound device and I'll probably get
      > time today or tomorrow to boot up a slug with the combination and
      > thus be able to give some better info.
      >
      > This was just a proof-of-concept project over a year ago, I really
      > need to keep better records of these things but it really wasn't
      > important at the time.

      I'd be grateful if someone were to revive this topic. I bought a USB
      soundcard and installed it under Unslung 6.8 and am getting the same
      noise or no sound as mentioned above.

      I then took the step to use SlugOS/BE instead and the soundcard
      installed fine. I could use the alsamixer and speaker-test to produce
      a steady pink noize on the relevant channels.

      But when it came to madplay or mpd (which is my goal) I fell to
      pieces. mpd installed just fine, albeit and older version that under
      unslung, but there is no mpc ipkg available for SlugOS, also no
      lighttpd or php, so I was unable to get anything playing.

      I know I'm a little short on Linux knowledge but can I do anything to
      compile apps on the slug so I can get the programs I want to run?