Will upgrade to Unslug or Openslug bring back slow LAN access

  • Kevin Stroud
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 4, 2007
      I purchased a NSLU2 awhile back. Out of the box it ran V2.3R63. I am
      using Windows XP for my home systems and accessing the shares on the
      NSLU2 was very, very slow. Some research brought me to this article:

      http://forums.linksys.com/linksys/board/message?board.id=Network_Storage&message.id=123

      In essence, the cure for this in my environment was to load the
      V2.3R25 firmware. After I did this all my problems cleared up.

      My question is, would loading Unslug or Openslug on my NSLU2 bring
      back the slow response?

      -- Kevin
    • Mike (mwester)
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 4, 2007
        > ...In essence, the cure for this in my environment was to load the
        > V2.3R25 firmware. After I did this all my problems cleared up.
        >
        > My question is, would loading Unslug or Openslug on my NSLU2 bring
        > back the slow response?

        OpenSlug - no, as it's not based on the Linksys firmware. Unslung would
        almost certainly behave the same as the newer Linksys firmware releases --
        it's supposed to!

        AFAIK, this problem involves authentication changes made by Microsoft. I
        seem to recall somewhere reading that changing some settings on the Windows
        side of things will make it behave, but I would expect that you should be
        able to tweak the settings for Samba via a diversion script or similar to
        make Samba accomodate Microsoft. I don't know for sure, as I don't run XP
        (I'll upgrade a system around here soon, I expect -- I just can't seem to
        get my head wrapped around the concept of paying Microsoft 100USD for the
        latest version of Windows, epecially since the only feature it has over
        Windows 2000 is that it consumes more memory.).

        Mike (mwester)
      • Brian Wood
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 4, 2007
          On Feb 4, 2007, at 12:31 PM, Mike ((mwester)) wrote:

          >> ...In essence, the cure for this in my environment was to load the
          >> V2.3R25 firmware. After I did this all my problems cleared up.
          >>
          >> My question is, would loading Unslug or Openslug on my NSLU2 bring
          >> back the slow response?
          >
          > OpenSlug - no, as it's not based on the Linksys firmware. Unslung
          > would
          > almost certainly behave the same as the newer Linksys firmware
          > releases --
          > it's supposed to!
          >
          > AFAIK, this problem involves authentication changes made by
          > Microsoft. I
          > seem to recall somewhere reading that changing some settings on the
          > Windows
          > side of things will make it behave, but I would expect that you
          > should be
          > able to tweak the settings for Samba via a diversion script or
          > similar to
          > make Samba accomodate Microsoft. I don't know for sure, as I don't
          > run XP
          > (I'll upgrade a system around here soon, I expect -- I just can't
          > seem to
          > get my head wrapped around the concept of paying Microsoft 100USD
          > for the
          > latest version of Windows, epecially since the only feature it has
          > over
          > Windows 2000 is that it consumes more memory.).

          Oh come on now - it has plenty of other new features, like not giving
          any choice but NTFS, contacting Redmond when it feels like it so they
          can check on what you are doing, and selling a lot of hardware.
        • Mr Doug -
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 4, 2007
            This is interesting. Am I to assume this only has to do with FAT or NTFS
            formated drives connected to the slug?? I run ext3 here with latest unslung
            and I don't think I am experiencing this problem.

            Doug

            --- "Mike (mwester)" <mwester@...> wrote:

            > > ...In essence, the cure for this in my environment was to load the
            > > V2.3R25 firmware. After I did this all my problems cleared up.
            > >
            > > My question is, would loading Unslug or Openslug on my NSLU2 bring
            > > back the slow response?
            >
            > OpenSlug - no, as it's not based on the Linksys firmware. Unslung would
            > almost certainly behave the same as the newer Linksys firmware releases --
            > it's supposed to!
            >
            > AFAIK, this problem involves authentication changes made by Microsoft. I
            > seem to recall somewhere reading that changing some settings on the Windows
            > side of things will make it behave, but I would expect that you should be
            > able to tweak the settings for Samba via a diversion script or similar to
            > make Samba accomodate Microsoft. I don't know for sure, as I don't run XP
            > (I'll upgrade a system around here soon, I expect -- I just can't seem to
            > get my head wrapped around the concept of paying Microsoft 100USD for the
            > latest version of Windows, epecially since the only feature it has over
            > Windows 2000 is that it consumes more memory.).
            >
            > Mike (mwester)

            Looking for earth-friendly autos?
            http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/
          • Kevin Stroud
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 4, 2007
              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Mr Doug - <dsc3507@...> wrote:

              I never formated my disks as FAT or NTFS, so in my network, EXT3
              drives were involved.

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 4, 2007
                Ok well same here and I am using latest unslung based on r63. I seem to be able
                to use it OK but I am not sure. I have all my music on the slug and I have had
                no problems with that. I have even viewed an MS HD movie file served from the
                slug while I listened to music served from it. I would like the updates of
                music artwork to be faster. It initially takes awhile to "buffer in" the
                artwork for 200 albums.

                How would I characterize this problem? I am using Winxp SP2

                Doug

                --- Kevin Stroud <kcstroud@...> wrote:

                > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Mr Doug - <dsc3507@...> wrote:
                >
                > I never formated my disks as FAT or NTFS, so in my network, EXT3
                > drives were involved.
                >

                > > This is interesting. Am I to assume this only has to do with FAT or NTFS
                > > formated drives connected to the slug?? I run ext3 here with latest
                > unslung
                > > and I don't think I am experiencing this problem.
                > >
                > > Doug

                Bored stiff? Loosen up...
                http://games.yahoo.com/games/front
              • Kevin Stroud
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 4, 2007
                  What I saw was a 1 to 5 minute wait before a response. For Instance,
                  If I entered \\NSLU2 at my computer, the action would take 1 minute or
                  more to display a list of folders. Clicking on a folder worked the
                  same way - extremely long wait times for a response. using it as an
                  MP3 server, or with Picasa, was impossible.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 4, 2007
                    Oh Ok... I am not seeing that here and I am running lastest unslung with XP SP2
                    So maybe there is something else in the mix.

                    Doug

                    --- Kevin Stroud <kcstroud@...> wrote:

                    > What I saw was a 1 to 5 minute wait before a response. For Instance,
                    > If I entered \\NSLU2 at my computer, the action would take 1 minute or
                    > more to display a list of folders. Clicking on a folder worked the
                    > same way - extremely long wait times for a response. using it as an
                    > MP3 server, or with Picasa, was impossible.
                    >

                    > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Mr Doug - <dsc3507@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Ok well same here and I am using latest unslung based on r63. I seem
                    > to be able
                    > > to use it OK but I am not sure. I have all my music on the slug and
                    > I have had
                    > > no problems with that. I have even viewed an MS HD movie file served
                    > from the
                    > > slug while I listened to music served from it. I would like the
                    > updates of
                    > > music artwork to be faster. It initially takes awhile to "buffer in" the
                    > > artwork for 200 albums.
                    > >
                    > > How would I characterize this problem? I am using Winxp SP2
                    > >
                    > > Doug
                    > >
                    > > --- Kevin Stroud <kcstroud@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Mr Doug - <dsc3507@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > I never formated my disks as FAT or NTFS, so in my network, EXT3
                    > > > drives were involved.

                    > or NTFS
                    > > > unslung

                    > > Bored stiff? Loosen up...
                    > > Download and play hundreds of games for free on Yahoo! Games.
                    > > http://games.yahoo.com/games/front

                    Be a PS3 game guru.