Re: [nslu2-linux] Default Unslung Password

  • dave nash
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 3, 2007
      Hi Brian, thanks for replying.

      > Couldn't you just remove the new drive from its hub-equipped case and
      > put it in the old case?

      I'm looking at the new drive now but there is no visible means of opening it.
      I'm sure I can find a way though! The old drive was an S-ATA and I bet the new
      one is P-ATA though.

      Dave
      --
    • Brian Wood
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 3, 2007
        How do I get Yahoo to just send me a text email? Even the "traditional" format makes replying with a "normal" MUA difficult, as I'd like to just interleave my answers with yours.

        So the answer to my question is "no", due to the PATA/SATA difference.

        Guess I just look at things differently because I have piles of drives and USB cases, I have to remember that most folks don't.

        If it were me I'd just start from scratch, but that hub may cause you problems. A cheap USB case is around $20US but I know prices in the UK are ridiculous. Maybe you could trade a straight case to someone who wants that "feature" ?

        On Feb 3, 2007, at 10:10 AM, dave nash wrote:

        Hi Brian, thanks for replying.

        > Couldn't you just remove the new drive from its hub-equipped case and
        > put it in the old case?

        I'm looking at the new drive now but there is no visible means of opening it.
        I'm sure I can find a way though! The old drive was an S-ATA and I bet the new
        one is P-ATA though

      • Mike (mwester)
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 3, 2007
          > What's my best course of action? Re-flash?

          When you performed the original "unsling" operation, the root password on
          both the external disk as well as the internal flash were changed to the
          password you entered. Since you've been using it, you knew that password at
          one time -- if you can rememeber it, you're all set.

          If not, there's no reason you can't just reflash.

          Mike (mwester)
        • dave nash
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 3, 2007
            Hi Mike

            > When you performed the original "unsling" operation, the root password on
            > both the external disk as well as the internal flash were changed to the
            > password you entered. Since you've been using it, you knew that password at
            > one time -- if you can rememeber it, you're all set.
            >
            > If not, there's no reason you can't just reflash.

            Hmm, that's strange, because I definitely know what the root password was. And
            it definitely doesn't work now. Incidentally, should I be able to telnet in
            using other users, even when running from internal flash? The "admin" user
            works on the web interface but not on telnet (seems to accept the password then
            immediately disconnects) and another user I had set up via the web interface,
            just rejects the password too.

            Dave

            --
          • Mike (mwester)
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 3, 2007
              > Hmm, that's strange, because I definitely know what the root password was.
              And
              > it definitely doesn't work now.

              If you followed the procedures in the wiki, it's quite possible that you
              changed the internal flash version of the password at one point or another
              as well.

              > Incidentally, should I be able to telnet in
              > using other users, even when running from internal flash? The "admin"
              user
              > works on the web interface but not on telnet (seems to accept the password
              then
              > immediately disconnects) and another user I had set up via the web
              interface,
              > just rejects the password too.

              No. The original default values for the passwd database will still be in
              place, unless you changed them on the internal flash. And IIRC, the admin
              account has the shell set to /dev/null so that you cannot login to the
              account interactively.

              Mike (mwester)
            • dave nash
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 4, 2007
                Mike,

                > > What's my best course of action? Re-flash?
                >
                > When you performed the original "unsling" operation, the root password on
                > both the external disk as well as the internal flash were changed to the
                > password you entered. Since you've been using it, you knew that password at
                > one time -- if you can rememeber it, you're all set.

                OK, I realised it was because I still had Disk 2 plugged in. This causes the
                root password not to work any more, for some reason. I rebooted with no disks
                attached and now I can telnet in using my password.

                Having done that, and also having disconnected the built-in card reader from my
                new Disk 1, I have plugged that into the slug. It shows up as /dev/sdb which I
                prove by mounting /dev/sdb1 at a temporary location.

                Now my original root was /dev/sdb1 too, as shown by the existence of
                the .sdb1root file. So how come it doesn't work? When I reboot with the new
                Disk 1 and the old Disk 2, my root password doesn't work and the shares are not
                there.

                Any thoughts?

                > If not, there's no reason you can't just reflash.

                By the way, if I choose to do this, is there a reason why I shouldn't use the
                web interface? Bearing in mind that the slug is already unslung. This page:
                http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/InstallUnslungFirmware
                suggests that I shouldn't do that, but why is that?

                Thanks,

                Dave
                --
              • dave nash
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 4, 2007
                  Following up my own post...

                  > root password not to work any more, for some reason. I rebooted with no
                  > disks attached and now I can telnet in using my password.
                  > Having done that, and also having disconnected the built-in card reader from
                  > my new Disk 1, I have plugged that into the slug. It shows up as /dev/sdb
                  which
                  > I prove by mounting /dev/sdb1 at a temporary location.
                  >
                  > Now my original root was /dev/sdb1 too, as shown by the existence of
                  > the .sdb1root file. So how come it doesn't work? When I reboot with the new
                  > Disk 1 and the old Disk 2, my root password doesn't work and the shares are
                  > not there.

                  And booting with just my new Disk 1 I can get in, but it hasn't used /dev/sdb1
                  as root. Is there a log that might tell me why? There's nothing useful
                  in /var/log/messages. Would "re-sligning" work?

                  Dave
                  --
                  http://www.davesastro.co.uk
                • Mike (mwester)
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 4, 2007
                    > Now my original root was /dev/sdb1 too, as shown by the existence of
                    > the .sdb1root file. So how come it doesn't work? When I reboot with the
                    new
                    > Disk 1 and the old Disk 2, my root password doesn't work and the shares
                    are not
                    > there.
                    >
                    > Any thoughts?

                    You've fallen victim to the "two native drives on Unslung" problem.
                    Depending on the sequence that got you to this point, the solution will
                    vary -- it's not very stable unless you installed and unslung to Disk 1
                    first, then added Disk 2. This problem is referenced here:
                    http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/WhichUSBPortforUnslung6

                    > > If not, there's no reason you can't just reflash.
                    >
                    > By the way, if I choose to do this, is there a reason why I shouldn't use
                    the
                    > web interface? Bearing in mind that the slug is already unslung. This
                    page:
                    > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/InstallUnslungFirmware
                    > suggests that I shouldn't do that, but why is that?

                    It's a bug; the "upgrade" web page was inadvertantly left in the GUI;
                    there's no functional code to do anything behind it.
                    http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/KnownProblems

                    Mike (mwester)
                  • dave nash
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 4, 2007
                      Mike,

                      > You've fallen victim to the "two native drives on Unslung" problem.
                      > Depending on the sequence that got you to this point, the solution will
                      > vary -- it's not very stable unless you installed and unslung to Disk 1
                      > first, then added Disk 2.

                      Well, I can try re-adding Disk 2 as a new one since there's not much on it. I'm
                      confused because it was working with both native disks before, unslung to Disk
                      1. Yet simply replacing Disk 1 with a new one fails? Weird.

                      Thanks for your help.

                      Dave
                      --
                      http://www.davesastro.co.uk