Default Unslung Password

  • Dave Nash
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 3, 2007
      Hi, I am using V2.3R63-uNSLUng-6.8-beta, unslung to a 160Gb drive in
      port 1 (with another drive in port 2).

      Unfortunately I had a problem with drive 1 and had to replace it with
      one I got from a friend. The new drive had the exact same drive
      geometry as the old one and I had no problem in creating the partitions
      using another Linux box and copying everything over. However I didn't
      realise until I got it, that this drive has a built-in USB hub - it has
      a card reader attached, and this causes a problem when starting up the
      slug because the drive is probably a different device than the old one
      was.

      OK, I thought, I can boot up without the drive attached, telnet in and
      change the unslung device (will this work in principle?)

      BUT, when I do that I can't log in - my password is always rejected. I
      thought the root password would go back to the default of uNSLUng, but
      that doesn't work. I may have changed it when I unslung the thing
      originally but none of my likely passwords work either.

      What's my best course of action? Re-flash?

      Thanks for any advice.

      Dave
    • Brian Wood
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 3, 2007

        On Feb 3, 2007, at 10:00 AM, Dave Nash wrote:

[...]

        .

        CC
        Couldn't you just remove the new drive from its hub-equipped case and put it in the old case?

      • dave nash
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 3, 2007
          Hi Brian, thanks for replying.

          > Couldn't you just remove the new drive from its hub-equipped case and
          > put it in the old case?

          I'm looking at the new drive now but there is no visible means of opening it.
          I'm sure I can find a way though! The old drive was an S-ATA and I bet the new
          one is P-ATA though.

          Dave
          --
        • Brian Wood
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 3, 2007
            How do I get Yahoo to just send me a text email? Even the "traditional" format makes replying with a "normal" MUA difficult, as I'd like to just interleave my answers with yours.

            So the answer to my question is "no", due to the PATA/SATA difference.

            Guess I just look at things differently because I have piles of drives and USB cases, I have to remember that most folks don't.

            If it were me I'd just start from scratch, but that hub may cause you problems. A cheap USB case is around $20US but I know prices in the UK are ridiculous. Maybe you could trade a straight case to someone who wants that "feature" ?

            On Feb 3, 2007, at 10:10 AM, dave nash wrote:

            Hi Brian, thanks for replying.

            > Couldn't you just remove the new drive from its hub-equipped case and
            > put it in the old case?

            I'm looking at the new drive now but there is no visible means of opening it.
            I'm sure I can find a way though! The old drive was an S-ATA and I bet the new
            one is P-ATA though

          • Mike (mwester)
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 3, 2007
              > What's my best course of action? Re-flash?

              When you performed the original "unsling" operation, the root password on
              both the external disk as well as the internal flash were changed to the
              password you entered. Since you've been using it, you knew that password at
              one time -- if you can rememeber it, you're all set.

              If not, there's no reason you can't just reflash.

              Mike (mwester)
            • dave nash
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 3, 2007
                Hi Mike

                > When you performed the original "unsling" operation, the root password on
                > both the external disk as well as the internal flash were changed to the
                > password you entered. Since you've been using it, you knew that password at
                > one time -- if you can rememeber it, you're all set.
                >
                > If not, there's no reason you can't just reflash.

                Hmm, that's strange, because I definitely know what the root password was. And
                it definitely doesn't work now. Incidentally, should I be able to telnet in
                using other users, even when running from internal flash? The "admin" user
                works on the web interface but not on telnet (seems to accept the password then
                immediately disconnects) and another user I had set up via the web interface,
                just rejects the password too.

                Dave

                --
              • Mike (mwester)
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 3, 2007
                  > Hmm, that's strange, because I definitely know what the root password was.
                  And
                  > it definitely doesn't work now.

                  If you followed the procedures in the wiki, it's quite possible that you
                  changed the internal flash version of the password at one point or another
                  as well.

                  > Incidentally, should I be able to telnet in
                  > using other users, even when running from internal flash? The "admin"
                  user
                  > works on the web interface but not on telnet (seems to accept the password
                  then
                  > immediately disconnects) and another user I had set up via the web
                  interface,
                  > just rejects the password too.

                  No. The original default values for the passwd database will still be in
                  place, unless you changed them on the internal flash. And IIRC, the admin
                  account has the shell set to /dev/null so that you cannot login to the
                  account interactively.

                  Mike (mwester)
                • dave nash
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 4, 2007
                    Mike,

                    > > What's my best course of action? Re-flash?
                    >
                    > When you performed the original "unsling" operation, the root password on
                    > both the external disk as well as the internal flash were changed to the
                    > password you entered. Since you've been using it, you knew that password at
                    > one time -- if you can rememeber it, you're all set.

                    OK, I realised it was because I still had Disk 2 plugged in. This causes the
                    root password not to work any more, for some reason. I rebooted with no disks
                    attached and now I can telnet in using my password.

                    Having done that, and also having disconnected the built-in card reader from my
                    new Disk 1, I have plugged that into the slug. It shows up as /dev/sdb which I
                    prove by mounting /dev/sdb1 at a temporary location.

                    Now my original root was /dev/sdb1 too, as shown by the existence of
                    the .sdb1root file. So how come it doesn't work? When I reboot with the new
                    Disk 1 and the old Disk 2, my root password doesn't work and the shares are not
                    there.

                    Any thoughts?

                    > If not, there's no reason you can't just reflash.

                    By the way, if I choose to do this, is there a reason why I shouldn't use the
                    web interface? Bearing in mind that the slug is already unslung. This page:
                    http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/InstallUnslungFirmware
                    suggests that I shouldn't do that, but why is that?

                    Thanks,

                    Dave
                    --
                  • dave nash
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 4, 2007
                      Following up my own post...

                      > root password not to work any more, for some reason. I rebooted with no
                      > disks attached and now I can telnet in using my password.
                      > Having done that, and also having disconnected the built-in card reader from
                      > my new Disk 1, I have plugged that into the slug. It shows up as /dev/sdb
                      which
                      > I prove by mounting /dev/sdb1 at a temporary location.
                      >
                      > Now my original root was /dev/sdb1 too, as shown by the existence of
                      > the .sdb1root file. So how come it doesn't work? When I reboot with the new
                      > Disk 1 and the old Disk 2, my root password doesn't work and the shares are
                      > not there.

                      And booting with just my new Disk 1 I can get in, but it hasn't used /dev/sdb1
                      as root. Is there a log that might tell me why? There's nothing useful
                      in /var/log/messages. Would "re-sligning" work?

                      Dave
                      --
                      http://www.davesastro.co.uk
                    • Mike (mwester)
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 4, 2007
                        > Now my original root was /dev/sdb1 too, as shown by the existence of
                        > the .sdb1root file. So how come it doesn't work? When I reboot with the
                        new
                        > Disk 1 and the old Disk 2, my root password doesn't work and the shares
                        are not
                        > there.
                        >
                        > Any thoughts?

                        You've fallen victim to the "two native drives on Unslung" problem.
                        Depending on the sequence that got you to this point, the solution will
                        vary -- it's not very stable unless you installed and unslung to Disk 1
                        first, then added Disk 2. This problem is referenced here:
                        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/WhichUSBPortforUnslung6

                        > > If not, there's no reason you can't just reflash.
                        >
                        > By the way, if I choose to do this, is there a reason why I shouldn't use
                        the
                        > web interface? Bearing in mind that the slug is already unslung. This
                        page:
                        > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/InstallUnslungFirmware
                        > suggests that I shouldn't do that, but why is that?

                        It's a bug; the "upgrade" web page was inadvertantly left in the GUI;
                        there's no functional code to do anything behind it.
                        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/KnownProblems

                        Mike (mwester)
                      • dave nash
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 4, 2007
                          Mike,

                          > You've fallen victim to the "two native drives on Unslung" problem.
                          > Depending on the sequence that got you to this point, the solution will
                          > vary -- it's not very stable unless you installed and unslung to Disk 1
                          > first, then added Disk 2.

                          Well, I can try re-adding Disk 2 as a new one since there's not much on it. I'm
                          confused because it was working with both native disks before, unslung to Disk
                          1. Yet simply replacing Disk 1 with a new one fails? Weird.

                          Thanks for your help.

                          Dave
                          --
                          http://www.davesastro.co.uk