Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: DST change

  • Mr Doug -
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 3, 2007
      Well this obviously is going to be a problem. There probably should be a WIKI
      on the procedure or maybe a IPKG that would download the required files,
      compiler, etc., do the compile, and install the resulting zone file. If that is
      feasible.

      This is another reason the pundits could use to put down Lionux. This obviously
      is not as big a problem in Windows. Why does this have to be so buried in the
      OS? It could be a simple text file that is read.

      On August 8, 2005, President George W. Bush signed the Energy Policy Act of
      2005. This Act changed the time change dates for Daylight Saving Time in the
      U.S. Beginning in 2007, DST will begin on the second Sunday in March and end
      the first Sunday in November. The Secretary of Energy will report the impact of
      this change to Congress. Congress retains the right to resume the 2005 Daylight
      Saving Time schedule once the Department of Energy study is complet

      Doug

      --- Adam Baker <slug@...> wrote:

      > Unslung keeps the timezone data in /usr/zoneinfo/ That data is generated by
      > the
      > firmware build process when it builds glibc-2.2.5 The zoneinfo data is endian
      > dependent so you can't just copy the files from another machine. If you have
      > built the unslung firmware source there is a copy of the zomeinfo compiler at
      >
      > unslung/tmp/work/glibc-2.2.5-r5/build-armeb-linux/timezone/zic
      >
      > which you could use to compile a fixed copy of the zone data.
      >
      > Because this is part of the firmware it can't easily be fixed with ipkg.

      Yahoo! Music Unlimited
      Access over 1 million songs.
      http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited
    • Brian Wood
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 3, 2007
        This "fully featured" and "improved" message format really stinks as a real MUA has trouble dealing with it (yes, I just changed it to "traditional" but somehow Yahoo keeps changing it back, probably to make sure I view their ads.)

        So please forgive the top post.

        They are probably trying to "help" me the same way King George II has "helped" me with the DST change, which also stinks.

        I seriously doubt that *anyone* will benefit from the DST change, another case of the government doing something without thinking through the implications (like Iraq ?).

        So: It's not a problem with Debian.

        Openslug will require someone to create a new timezones-america package, whether this will happen for 2.7 is open to question right now.

        UnSlung will require a new firmware image.

        And: Most folks hear are running UnSlung.

        Thanks again George.

        --- Adam Baker <slug@baker-net.org.uk> wrote:

        > Unslung keeps the timezone data in /usr/zoneinfo/ That data is generated by
        > the
        > firmware build process when it builds glibc-2.2.5 The zoneinfo data is endian
        > dependent so you can't just copy the files from another machine. If you have
        > built the unslung firmware source there is a copy of the zomeinfo compiler at
        >
        > unslung/tmp/work/glibc-2.2.5-r5/build-armeb-linux/timezone/zic
        >
        > which you could use to compile a fixed copy of the zone data.
        >
        > Because this is part of the firmware it can't easily be fixed with ipkg.

        .

      • braydw
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 3, 2007
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Brian Wood <beww@...> wrote:

          > This "fully featured" and "improved" message format really stinks as
          > a real MUA has trouble dealing with it (yes, I just changed it to
          > "traditional" but somehow Yahoo keeps changing it back, probably to
          > make sure I view their ads.)
          >
          > So please forgive the top post.
          >
          > They are probably trying to "help" me the same way King George II has
          > "helped" me with the DST change, which also stinks.
          >
          > I seriously doubt that *anyone* will benefit from the DST change,
          > another case of the government doing something without thinking
          > through the implications (like Iraq ?).
          >
          > So: It's not a problem with Debian.
          >
          > Openslug will require someone to create a new timezones-america
          > package, whether this will happen for 2.7 is open to question right now.
          >
          > UnSlung will require a new firmware image.
          >
          > And: Most folks hear are running UnSlung.
          >
          > Thanks again George.
          >

          > On Feb 3, 2007, at 8:34 AM, Mr Doug - wrote:
          >
          > > Well this obviously is going to be a problem. There probably should
          > > be a WIKI
          > > on the procedure or maybe a IPKG that would download the required
          > > files,
          > > compiler, etc., do the compile, and install the resulting zone
          > > file. If that is
          > > feasible.
          > >
          > > This is another reason the pundits could use to put down Lionux.
          > > This obviously
          > > is not as big a problem in Windows. Why does this have to be so
          > > buried in the
          > > OS? It could be a simple text file that is read.
          > >
          > > On August 8, 2005, President George W. Bush signed the Energy
          > > Policy Act of
          > > 2005. This Act changed the time change dates for Daylight Saving
          > > Time in the
          > > U.S. Beginning in 2007, DST will begin on the second Sunday in
          > > March and end
          > > the first Sunday in November. The Secretary of Energy will report
          > > the impact of
          > > this change to Congress. Congress retains the right to resume the
          > > 2005 Daylight
          > > Saving Time schedule once the Department of Energy study is complet
          > >
          > > Doug
          > >
          > > --- Adam Baker <slug@...> wrote:
          > >

          > > > Unslung keeps the timezone data in /usr/zoneinfo/ That data is
          > > generated by
          > > > the
          > > > firmware build process when it builds glibc-2.2.5 The zoneinfo
          > > data is endian
          > > > dependent so you can't just copy the files from another machine.
          > > If you have
          > > > built the unslung firmware source there is a copy of the zomeinfo
          > > compiler at
          > > >
          > > > unslung/tmp/work/glibc-2.2.5-r5/build-armeb-linux/timezone/zic
          > > >
          > > > which you could use to compile a fixed copy of the zone data.
          > > >
          > > > Because this is part of the firmware it can't easily be fixed
          > > with ipkg.

          > >> .

          Those system using ntp should not matter. ntp should correct the time.

          --David
        • Brian Wood
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 3, 2007

            On Feb 3, 2007, at 10:32 AM, braydw wrote:

            Those system using ntp should not matter. ntp should correct the time.

            --David

            I thought ntp kept the system clock (in UTC) synced correctly but had nothing to do with the offset from UTC to local time, which is the problem with the DST change.

            Am I wrong here? (very possible)
          • Mike (mwester)
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 3, 2007
              [snip]
              > Those system using ntp should not matter. ntp should correct the time.

              AFAIK, NTP just ensures that the local system's concept of GMT is correct --
              NTP knows nothing of daylight savings time, so the local time will still be
              wrong.

              Actually, if it were just the displayed time that was wrong, it would be
              just an inconvenience. But it would affect cron jobs and other operations
              that might be more sensitive. So this is something we do need to address
              for Unslung users who would be concerned about this. It's possible, but
              unlikely, that we'll have a new Unslung release by then -- so I think
              perhaps a new timezone file for the Americas and a wiki article will do the
              job. Now all we need is a volunteer to create the necessary timezone file,
              and test the procedure.

              Mike (mwester)
            • Mr Doug -
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 3, 2007
                Thanks Mike, Sorry for causing all the hopla but it looks like this is going to
                be a real issue when it happens. They are likening it to the 2000 event, but
                then that turned out to be a bust. We do know however that if you do nothing
                about this one your time will be off an hour. Wether that effects any
                particuliar user will have to be their determination.

                Regards, Doug

                --- "Mike (mwester)" <mwester@...> wrote:

                > [snip]
                > > Those system using ntp should not matter. ntp should correct the time.
                >
                > AFAIK, NTP just ensures that the local system's concept of GMT is correct --
                > NTP knows nothing of daylight savings time, so the local time will still be
                > wrong.
                >
                > Actually, if it were just the displayed time that was wrong, it would be
                > just an inconvenience. But it would affect cron jobs and other operations
                > that might be more sensitive. So this is something we do need to address
                > for Unslung users who would be concerned about this. It's possible, but
                > unlikely, that we'll have a new Unslung release by then -- so I think
                > perhaps a new timezone file for the Americas and a wiki article will do the
                > job. Now all we need is a volunteer to create the necessary timezone file,
                > and test the procedure.
                >
                > Mike (mwester)

                Don't pick lemons.
                See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.
                http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html
              • Mr Doug -
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 3, 2007
                  see...

                  http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=0&q1=T1010301&uid=isg3T1010301&loc=en_US&cs=utf-8&cc=us&lang=en

                  and...

                  http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=518752

                  --- Brian Wood <beww@...> wrote:

                  > On Feb 3, 2007, at 10:32 AM, braydw wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Those system using ntp should not matter. ntp should correct the time.
                  > >
                  > > --David
                  > >

                  > I thought ntp kept the system clock (in UTC) synced correctly but had
                  > nothing to do with the offset from UTC to local time, which is the
                  > problem with the DST change.
                  >
                  > Am I wrong here? (very possible)

                  http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail
                • Brian Wood
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 3, 2007
                    OK, those references seem to confirm what I thought. The timezone
                    information needs to be updated as ntp only keeps the system clock
                    correct for UTC and does nothing to correct the offset for the local
                    timezone.

                    So the questions still stand. Will there be an updated package for
                    openslug 2.7?, will I have to upgrade to 3.1? Will there be a package
                    for 3.1? Can I use a package from 3.1 on a 2.7 system?

                    Or do I have to go mucking around with a system that's working
                    perfectly well thanks to George?

                    On Feb 3, 2007, at 4:34 PM, Mr Doug - wrote:

                    > see...
                    >
                    > http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?
                    > rs=0&q1=T1010301&uid=isg3T1010301&loc=en_US&cs=utf-8&cc=us&lang=en
                    >
                    > and...
                    >
                    > http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=518752
                    >
                    > --- Brian Wood <beww@...> wrote:
                    >

                    >> On Feb 3, 2007, at 10:32 AM, braydw wrote:
                    >>>
                    >>> Those system using ntp should not matter. ntp should correct the
                    >>> time.
                    >>>
                    >>> --David
                    >>>

                    >> I thought ntp kept the system clock (in UTC) synced correctly but had
                    >> nothing to do with the offset from UTC to local time, which is the
                    >> problem with the DST change.
                    >>
                    >> Am I wrong here? (very possible)

                  • Wayne Topa
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 3, 2007
                      Mr Doug -(dsc3507@...) is reported to have said:
                      > Thanks Mike, Sorry for causing all the hopla but it looks like this is going to
                      > be a real issue when it happens. They are likening it to the 2000 event, but
                      > then that turned out to be a bust. We do know however that if you do nothing
                      > about this one your time will be off an hour. Wether that effects any
                      > particuliar user will have to be their determination.
                      >
                      > Regards, Doug
                      >
                      > --- "Mike (mwester)" <mwester@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > [snip]
                      > > > Those system using ntp should not matter. ntp should correct the time.
                      > >
                      > > AFAIK, NTP just ensures that the local system's concept of GMT is correct --
                      > > NTP knows nothing of daylight savings time, so the local time will still be
                      > > wrong.
                      > >
                      > > Actually, if it were just the displayed time that was wrong, it would be
                      > > just an inconvenience. But it would affect cron jobs and other operations
                      > > that might be more sensitive. So this is something we do need to address
                      > > for Unslung users who would be concerned about this. It's possible, but
                      > > unlikely, that we'll have a new Unslung release by then -- so I think
                      > > perhaps a new timezone file for the Americas and a wiki article will do the
                      > > job. Now all we need is a volunteer to create the necessary timezone file,
                      > > and test the procedure.
                      > >
                      > > Mike (mwester)

                      This may seem like a dumb way to solve this problem, but. If the slug
                      is connected to a system that has the correct timezone, like mine
                      does, why not just install rdate on the slug? I did that instead of
                      installing ntp on my slug and just have a cron job setting the time
                      from my server. rdate is a much smaller package the ntp and the slug
                      time is always synced to my server time.

                      my 0.02 cents.

                      Wayne

                      --
                      One good reason why computers can do more work than people is that they
                      never have to stop and answer the phone.
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 3, 2007
                        > This may seem like a dumb way to solve this problem, but. If the slug
                        > is connected to a system that has the correct timezone, like mine
                        > does, why not just install rdate on the slug? I did that instead of
                        > installing ntp on my slug and just have a cron job setting the time
                        > from my server. rdate is a much smaller package the ntp and the slug
                        > time is always synced to my server time.

                        In general, this is a very good suggestion for devices like the slug --
                        running a full NTP daemon can be a less-than-ideal situation with regard to
                        memory. But it doesn't solve the daylight-savings time problem.

                        What makes this such a nasty problem is that there are *two* ideas of time
                        on Linux: GMT, which is what well-behaved applications use whenever they
                        read/write or exchange date and time information, and there's local time,
                        which is what humans use. For a period of time, in a matter of weeks from
                        now, the slug will be presenting (bad) and reading (even worse!) dates
                        incorrectly in user interactions -- we'll be entering a date/time in
                        daylight-savings time, it will be reading it sans DST. If you attempt to
                        fix it by "correcting" the displayed date (local time) so that it matches
                        DST, then the internal clock will be instead be off by an hour. The
                        problem, then, is that for this period of time (the difference between the
                        new DST and the old DST start time), the delta between these two times will
                        be wrong, and there's no fiddling the user can do that won't make something
                        wrong somewhere.

                        And to compound it further, it's not easily predictable what may be affected
                        by this. Many folks will find nothing will happen -- at least nothing of
                        consequence on the slug. Some will probably notice issues with cron jobs
                        running an hour off. Log messages may be misleading. How big a deal this
                        is just depends on what people are using the slug for.

                        (Side note: Slug-related issues pale in comparison to the vast number of
                        other embedded devices containing DST-aware clocks -- such as environmental
                        controls, consumer electronics, personal organizers, etc -- that may all be
                        confused as they attempt to exchange information... it'll probably be quite
                        entertaining for a while (as people show up at work an hour late/early), but
                        then become really inconvenient (as automatic security alarms arm themselves
                        an hour early or an hour late, for example). Ah well. It'll provide the
                        vendors of such devices a vast opportunity to sell upgrades and support
                        contracts... ;)

                        Mike (mwester)
                      • Bob
                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 23, 2007
                          Is there any progress on this issue?

                          > > Those system using ntp should not matter. ntp should correct the time.
                          >
                          > AFAIK, NTP just ensures that the local system's concept of GMT is
                          > correct --
                          > NTP knows nothing of daylight savings time, so the local time will
                          > still be
                          > wrong.
                          >
                          > Actually, if it were just the displayed time that was wrong, it would be
                          > just an inconvenience. But it would affect cron jobs and other operations
                          > that might be more sensitive. So this is something we do need to address
                          > for Unslung users who would be concerned about this. It's possible, but
                          > unlikely, that we'll have a new Unslung release by then -- so I think
                          > perhaps a new timezone file for the Americas and a wiki article will
                          > do the
                          > job. Now all we need is a volunteer to create the necessary timezone file,
                          > and test the procedure.
                          >
                          > Mike (mwester)

                        • Brian Zhou
                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 23, 2007
                            For unslung, I've created a tz package, which contains up-to-date
                            zoneinfo. Preliminary instruction can be found

                            http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Profiles/BrianZhou

                            I personally don't use linksys web interface at all, a potential
                            problem is when you set a timezone using the web UI - that probably
                            will overwrite /usr/local/localtime.

                            I don't think there is a way around that other than not using that
                            part of the web UI.

                            -Brian Zhou

                            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Bob <bobejr@...> wrote:

                            > Is there any progress on this issue?

                          • braydw
                            Message 13 of 25 , Feb 27, 2007
                              Brian -- I have installed your tz package in a Unslung and it appears
                              to work. I set my TZ to America/New_York.
                              I followed your preliminary instructions and then tested it by the
                              command:
                              date --utc 031106592007.50 ; date ; sleep 20 ; date

                              I am curious how this got actived by the install process. I did not
                              reboot.
                              Could you please explain the process to me.

                              Thank you for your great work.
                              --David

                              Message 14 of 25 , Feb 27, 2007
                                It is a feature of glibc to translate machine hardware time to the
                                time zone you want. The date command uses this libc service. You can
                                specify your localtime in a couple of ways:

                                1. TZ environment variable
                                2. /etc/localtime file in compiled zoneinfo format (zoneinfo file
                                contains things like gmt offset, when does DST start/end for which
                                year, what is the DST gmt offset, etc.)

                                On unslung, /etc/localtime is a link to /usr/local/localtime. The tz
                                package provides up-to-date compiled zoneinfo files for all the
                                timezones, and the key step is just "cp the-right-zoneinfo
                                /usr/local/localtime".

                                For detail see
                                http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_node/TZ-Variable.html ,
                                especially the following paragraph:

                                If the TZ environment variable does not have a value, the operation
                                chooses a time zone by default. In the GNU C library, the default time
                                zone is like the specification `TZ=:/etc/localtime' (or
                                `TZ=:/usr/local/etc/localtime', depending on how GNU C library was
                                configured; see Installation). Other C libraries use their own rule
                                for choosing the default time zone, so there is little we can say
                                about them.

                                Regards,

                                -Brian Zhou

                                Message 15 of 25 , Feb 27, 2007
                                  Yes the package works great. Not sure what your test method is but you only
                                  have to do the following to test -

                                  date --date="Mar 11 15:00:00 UTC 2007"

                                  If it reads EDT (or your local zone daylight savings) then it is working.

                                  Sun Mar 11 11:00:00 EDT 2007

                                  --- braydw <braydw@...> wrote:

                                  > Brian -- I have installed your tz package in a Unslung and it appears
                                  > to work. I set my TZ to America/New_York.
                                  > I followed your preliminary instructions and then tested it by the
                                  > command:
                                  > date --utc 031106592007.50 ; date ; sleep 20 ; date
                                  >
                                  > I am curious how this got actived by the install process. I did not
                                  > reboot.
                                  > Could you please explain the process to me.
                                  >
                                  > Thank you for your great work.
                                  > --David
                                  >
                                  > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Zhou" <b88zhou@...> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > For unslung, I've created a tz package, which contains up-to-date
                                  > > zoneinfo. Preliminary instruction can be found
                                  > >
                                  > > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Profiles/BrianZhou
                                  > >
                                  > > I personally don't use linksys web interface at all, a potential
                                  > > problem is when you set a timezone using the web UI - that probably
                                  > > will overwrite /usr/local/localtime.
                                  > >
                                  > > I don't think there is a way around that other than not using that
                                  > > part of the web UI.
                                  > >
                                  > > -Brian Zhou
                                  > >
                                  > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Bob <bobejr@> wrote:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Is there any progress on this issue?

                                  http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265
                                • Brian Zhou
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Feb 27, 2007
                                    http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/TimeZoneUpdate

                                    More than two people have tested the procedure and it is working.

                                    -Brian Zhou

                                    --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Bob <bobejr@...> wrote:

                                    > Is there any progress on this issue?

                                  • Bob
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Feb 27, 2007
                                      On V2.3R29-uNSLUng-5.5-beta, with the addition of the diversion script rc.rstimezone described in http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/FixTheClockUsingAdjtimexAndNtpclient , the fix does not survive a reboot.

                                      My guess is that the line "/usr/sbin/Set_TimeZone" is restoring the linksys configuration.  Is it better to fix this script by commenting out this line,  change this script to establish a hard coded "TZ=America/Los_Angeles" or write another script that includes your fix on startup?

                                      Bob