Re: [nslu2-linux] DST change

  • Brian Wood
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 2, 2007

      On Feb 2, 2007, at 11:36 PM, Mike ((mwester)) wrote:

      Always something... and if it isn't technology or new functionality, it's
      the government trying to "improve" our lives...

      Off the top of my head I don't know where/how Unslung manages the DST change
      data. I'll add this as an item for investigation, and, um -- submit it to
      one of the Unslung developers for further examination ;)

      (I don't suppose anyone can claim a tax credit for the effort involved in
      fixing something that's only broken because of the meddling of the US
      Government, can they? Good grief, you'd think the politicians have better
      things to do than mess up the clocks for thousands upon thousands of
      otherwise perfectly functional embedded devices and computers...)

      **mutter*mutter**grumble*grumble**

      Coul couldn't have put it better myself. Perhaps we can thank King George II ?

      But didn't Australia just change the DST rules there as well?

    • Brian Wood
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 2, 2007

        On Feb 2, 2007, at 6:58 PM, Steve Bennett wrote:

        I am running debian sid, installed about a year ago (uptime 329 days!).

        To install the latest timezone data, this seems to have done the trick:
        # apt-get update
        # apt-get install tzdata

        Cheers,
        Steve

        .

        OK, that's fine for debian.

        I have a mail server running  OpenSlug 2.7. I really don't want to mess with it because it's running just fine, but:

        date -d 031115002007

        Indicates that it thinks that date is MST, not MDT which it should be after the governments latest "improvement" to things.

        I did ipkg update, after which I tried ipkg install timezones and ipkg install timezones-america. The system says that both packages are up to date.

        I realize that 2.7 is out of date, and is a beta to boot, but as I said I really hate to have to mess with something that's working fine just because the govt has "helped" me.

        Is there going to be some update to these openslug packages? Do I have to grab a package from a newer openslug? I'm guessing I'm not the only one with this problem. The other problem is that this little box is my main NTP server for the house as well as a pop/imap smtp box.

        Should I just move to Arizona? (they don't have DST).
      • Adam Baker
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 3, 2007
          Mike (mwester <mwester@...> writes:

          > Off the top of my head I don't know where/how Unslung manages the DST change
          > data. I'll add this as an item for investigation, and, um -- submit it to
          > one of the Unslung developers for further examination ;)

          Unslung keeps the timezone data in /usr/zoneinfo/ That data is generated by the
          firmware build process when it builds glibc-2.2.5 The zoneinfo data is endian
          dependent so you can't just copy the files from another machine. If you have
          built the unslung firmware source there is a copy of the zomeinfo compiler at

          unslung/tmp/work/glibc-2.2.5-r5/build-armeb-linux/timezone/zic

          which you could use to compile a fixed copy of the zone data.

          Because this is part of the firmware it can't easily be fixed with ipkg.
        • Mr Doug -
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 3, 2007
            Well this obviously is going to be a problem. There probably should be a WIKI
            on the procedure or maybe a IPKG that would download the required files,
            compiler, etc., do the compile, and install the resulting zone file. If that is
            feasible.

            This is another reason the pundits could use to put down Lionux. This obviously
            is not as big a problem in Windows. Why does this have to be so buried in the
            OS? It could be a simple text file that is read.

            On August 8, 2005, President George W. Bush signed the Energy Policy Act of
            2005. This Act changed the time change dates for Daylight Saving Time in the
            U.S. Beginning in 2007, DST will begin on the second Sunday in March and end
            the first Sunday in November. The Secretary of Energy will report the impact of
            this change to Congress. Congress retains the right to resume the 2005 Daylight
            Saving Time schedule once the Department of Energy study is complet

            Doug

            --- Adam Baker <slug@...> wrote:

            > Unslung keeps the timezone data in /usr/zoneinfo/ That data is generated by
            > the
            > firmware build process when it builds glibc-2.2.5 The zoneinfo data is endian
            > dependent so you can't just copy the files from another machine. If you have
            > built the unslung firmware source there is a copy of the zomeinfo compiler at
            >
            > unslung/tmp/work/glibc-2.2.5-r5/build-armeb-linux/timezone/zic
            >
            > which you could use to compile a fixed copy of the zone data.
            >
            > Because this is part of the firmware it can't easily be fixed with ipkg.

            Yahoo! Music Unlimited
            Access over 1 million songs.
            http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited
          • Brian Wood
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 3, 2007
              This "fully featured" and "improved" message format really stinks as a real MUA has trouble dealing with it (yes, I just changed it to "traditional" but somehow Yahoo keeps changing it back, probably to make sure I view their ads.)

              So please forgive the top post.

              They are probably trying to "help" me the same way King George II has "helped" me with the DST change, which also stinks.

              I seriously doubt that *anyone* will benefit from the DST change, another case of the government doing something without thinking through the implications (like Iraq ?).

              So: It's not a problem with Debian.

              Openslug will require someone to create a new timezones-america package, whether this will happen for 2.7 is open to question right now.

              UnSlung will require a new firmware image.

              And: Most folks hear are running UnSlung.

              Thanks again George.

              --- Adam Baker <slug@baker-net.org.uk> wrote:

              > Unslung keeps the timezone data in /usr/zoneinfo/ That data is generated by
              > the
              > firmware build process when it builds glibc-2.2.5 The zoneinfo data is endian
              > dependent so you can't just copy the files from another machine. If you have
              > built the unslung firmware source there is a copy of the zomeinfo compiler at
              >
              > unslung/tmp/work/glibc-2.2.5-r5/build-armeb-linux/timezone/zic
              >
              > which you could use to compile a fixed copy of the zone data.
              >
              > Because this is part of the firmware it can't easily be fixed with ipkg.

              .

            • braydw
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 3, 2007
                --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Brian Wood <beww@...> wrote:

                > This "fully featured" and "improved" message format really stinks as
                > a real MUA has trouble dealing with it (yes, I just changed it to
                > "traditional" but somehow Yahoo keeps changing it back, probably to
                > make sure I view their ads.)
                >
                > So please forgive the top post.
                >
                > They are probably trying to "help" me the same way King George II has
                > "helped" me with the DST change, which also stinks.
                >
                > I seriously doubt that *anyone* will benefit from the DST change,
                > another case of the government doing something without thinking
                > through the implications (like Iraq ?).
                >
                > So: It's not a problem with Debian.
                >
                > Openslug will require someone to create a new timezones-america
                > package, whether this will happen for 2.7 is open to question right now.
                >
                > UnSlung will require a new firmware image.
                >
                > And: Most folks hear are running UnSlung.
                >
                > Thanks again George.
                >

                > On Feb 3, 2007, at 8:34 AM, Mr Doug - wrote:
                >
                > > Well this obviously is going to be a problem. There probably should
                > > be a WIKI
                > > on the procedure or maybe a IPKG that would download the required
                > > files,
                > > compiler, etc., do the compile, and install the resulting zone
                > > file. If that is
                > > feasible.
                > >
                > > This is another reason the pundits could use to put down Lionux.
                > > This obviously
                > > is not as big a problem in Windows. Why does this have to be so
                > > buried in the
                > > OS? It could be a simple text file that is read.
                > >
                > > On August 8, 2005, President George W. Bush signed the Energy
                > > Policy Act of
                > > 2005. This Act changed the time change dates for Daylight Saving
                > > Time in the
                > > U.S. Beginning in 2007, DST will begin on the second Sunday in
                > > March and end
                > > the first Sunday in November. The Secretary of Energy will report
                > > the impact of
                > > this change to Congress. Congress retains the right to resume the
                > > 2005 Daylight
                > > Saving Time schedule once the Department of Energy study is complet
                > >
                > > Doug
                > >
                > > --- Adam Baker <slug@...> wrote:
                > >

                > > > Unslung keeps the timezone data in /usr/zoneinfo/ That data is
                > > generated by
                > > > the
                > > > firmware build process when it builds glibc-2.2.5 The zoneinfo
                > > data is endian
                > > > dependent so you can't just copy the files from another machine.
                > > If you have
                > > > built the unslung firmware source there is a copy of the zomeinfo
                > > compiler at
                > > >
                > > > unslung/tmp/work/glibc-2.2.5-r5/build-armeb-linux/timezone/zic
                > > >
                > > > which you could use to compile a fixed copy of the zone data.
                > > >
                > > > Because this is part of the firmware it can't easily be fixed
                > > with ipkg.

                > >> .

                Those system using ntp should not matter. ntp should correct the time.

                --David
              • Brian Wood
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 3, 2007

                  On Feb 3, 2007, at 10:32 AM, braydw wrote:

                  Those system using ntp should not matter. ntp should correct the time.

                  --David

                  I thought ntp kept the system clock (in UTC) synced correctly but had nothing to do with the offset from UTC to local time, which is the problem with the DST change.

                  Am I wrong here? (very possible)
                • Mike (mwester)
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 3, 2007
                    [snip]
                    > Those system using ntp should not matter. ntp should correct the time.

                    AFAIK, NTP just ensures that the local system's concept of GMT is correct --
                    NTP knows nothing of daylight savings time, so the local time will still be
                    wrong.

                    Actually, if it were just the displayed time that was wrong, it would be
                    just an inconvenience. But it would affect cron jobs and other operations
                    that might be more sensitive. So this is something we do need to address
                    for Unslung users who would be concerned about this. It's possible, but
                    unlikely, that we'll have a new Unslung release by then -- so I think
                    perhaps a new timezone file for the Americas and a wiki article will do the
                    job. Now all we need is a volunteer to create the necessary timezone file,
                    and test the procedure.

                    Mike (mwester)
                  • Mr Doug -
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 3, 2007
                      Thanks Mike, Sorry for causing all the hopla but it looks like this is going to
                      be a real issue when it happens. They are likening it to the 2000 event, but
                      then that turned out to be a bust. We do know however that if you do nothing
                      about this one your time will be off an hour. Wether that effects any
                      particuliar user will have to be their determination.

                      Regards, Doug

                      --- "Mike (mwester)" <mwester@...> wrote:

                      > [snip]
                      > > Those system using ntp should not matter. ntp should correct the time.
                      >
                      > AFAIK, NTP just ensures that the local system's concept of GMT is correct --
                      > NTP knows nothing of daylight savings time, so the local time will still be
                      > wrong.
                      >
                      > Actually, if it were just the displayed time that was wrong, it would be
                      > just an inconvenience. But it would affect cron jobs and other operations
                      > that might be more sensitive. So this is something we do need to address
                      > for Unslung users who would be concerned about this. It's possible, but
                      > unlikely, that we'll have a new Unslung release by then -- so I think
                      > perhaps a new timezone file for the Americas and a wiki article will do the
                      > job. Now all we need is a volunteer to create the necessary timezone file,
                      > and test the procedure.
                      >
                      > Mike (mwester)

                      Don't pick lemons.
                      See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.
                      http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html
                    • Mr Doug -
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 3, 2007
                        see...

                        http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=0&q1=T1010301&uid=isg3T1010301&loc=en_US&cs=utf-8&cc=us&lang=en

                        and...

                        http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=518752

                        --- Brian Wood <beww@...> wrote:

                        > On Feb 3, 2007, at 10:32 AM, braydw wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Those system using ntp should not matter. ntp should correct the time.
                        > >
                        > > --David
                        > >

                        > I thought ntp kept the system clock (in UTC) synced correctly but had
                        > nothing to do with the offset from UTC to local time, which is the
                        > problem with the DST change.
                        >
                        > Am I wrong here? (very possible)

                        http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail
                      • Brian Wood
                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 3, 2007
                          OK, those references seem to confirm what I thought. The timezone
                          information needs to be updated as ntp only keeps the system clock
                          correct for UTC and does nothing to correct the offset for the local
                          timezone.

                          So the questions still stand. Will there be an updated package for
                          openslug 2.7?, will I have to upgrade to 3.1? Will there be a package
                          for 3.1? Can I use a package from 3.1 on a 2.7 system?

                          Or do I have to go mucking around with a system that's working
                          perfectly well thanks to George?

                          On Feb 3, 2007, at 4:34 PM, Mr Doug - wrote:

                          > see...
                          >
                          > http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?
                          > rs=0&q1=T1010301&uid=isg3T1010301&loc=en_US&cs=utf-8&cc=us&lang=en
                          >
                          > and...
                          >
                          > http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=518752
                          >
                          > --- Brian Wood <beww@...> wrote:
                          >

                          >> On Feb 3, 2007, at 10:32 AM, braydw wrote:
                          >>>
                          >>> Those system using ntp should not matter. ntp should correct the
                          >>> time.
                          >>>
                          >>> --David
                          >>>

                          >> I thought ntp kept the system clock (in UTC) synced correctly but had
                          >> nothing to do with the offset from UTC to local time, which is the
                          >> problem with the DST change.
                          >>
                          >> Am I wrong here? (very possible)

                        • Wayne Topa
                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 3, 2007
                            Mr Doug -(dsc3507@...) is reported to have said:
                            > Thanks Mike, Sorry for causing all the hopla but it looks like this is going to
                            > be a real issue when it happens. They are likening it to the 2000 event, but
                            > then that turned out to be a bust. We do know however that if you do nothing
                            > about this one your time will be off an hour. Wether that effects any
                            > particuliar user will have to be their determination.
                            >
                            > Regards, Doug
                            >
                            > --- "Mike (mwester)" <mwester@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > [snip]
                            > > > Those system using ntp should not matter. ntp should correct the time.
                            > >
                            > > AFAIK, NTP just ensures that the local system's concept of GMT is correct --
                            > > NTP knows nothing of daylight savings time, so the local time will still be
                            > > wrong.
                            > >
                            > > Actually, if it were just the displayed time that was wrong, it would be
                            > > just an inconvenience. But it would affect cron jobs and other operations
                            > > that might be more sensitive. So this is something we do need to address
                            > > for Unslung users who would be concerned about this. It's possible, but
                            > > unlikely, that we'll have a new Unslung release by then -- so I think
                            > > perhaps a new timezone file for the Americas and a wiki article will do the
                            > > job. Now all we need is a volunteer to create the necessary timezone file,
                            > > and test the procedure.
                            > >
                            > > Mike (mwester)

                            This may seem like a dumb way to solve this problem, but. If the slug
                            is connected to a system that has the correct timezone, like mine
                            does, why not just install rdate on the slug? I did that instead of
                            installing ntp on my slug and just have a cron job setting the time
                            from my server. rdate is a much smaller package the ntp and the slug
                            time is always synced to my server time.

                            my 0.02 cents.

                            Wayne

                            --
                            One good reason why computers can do more work than people is that they
                            never have to stop and answer the phone.
                            Message 13 of 25 , Feb 3, 2007
                              > This may seem like a dumb way to solve this problem, but. If the slug
                              > is connected to a system that has the correct timezone, like mine
                              > does, why not just install rdate on the slug? I did that instead of
                              > installing ntp on my slug and just have a cron job setting the time
                              > from my server. rdate is a much smaller package the ntp and the slug
                              > time is always synced to my server time.

                              In general, this is a very good suggestion for devices like the slug --
                              running a full NTP daemon can be a less-than-ideal situation with regard to
                              memory. But it doesn't solve the daylight-savings time problem.

                              What makes this such a nasty problem is that there are *two* ideas of time
                              on Linux: GMT, which is what well-behaved applications use whenever they
                              read/write or exchange date and time information, and there's local time,
                              which is what humans use. For a period of time, in a matter of weeks from
                              now, the slug will be presenting (bad) and reading (even worse!) dates
                              incorrectly in user interactions -- we'll be entering a date/time in
                              daylight-savings time, it will be reading it sans DST. If you attempt to
                              fix it by "correcting" the displayed date (local time) so that it matches
                              DST, then the internal clock will be instead be off by an hour. The
                              problem, then, is that for this period of time (the difference between the
                              new DST and the old DST start time), the delta between these two times will
                              be wrong, and there's no fiddling the user can do that won't make something
                              wrong somewhere.

                              And to compound it further, it's not easily predictable what may be affected
                              by this. Many folks will find nothing will happen -- at least nothing of
                              consequence on the slug. Some will probably notice issues with cron jobs
                              running an hour off. Log messages may be misleading. How big a deal this
                              is just depends on what people are using the slug for.

                              (Side note: Slug-related issues pale in comparison to the vast number of
                              other embedded devices containing DST-aware clocks -- such as environmental
                              controls, consumer electronics, personal organizers, etc -- that may all be
                              confused as they attempt to exchange information... it'll probably be quite
                              entertaining for a while (as people show up at work an hour late/early), but
                              then become really inconvenient (as automatic security alarms arm themselves
                              an hour early or an hour late, for example). Ah well. It'll provide the
                              vendors of such devices a vast opportunity to sell upgrades and support
                              contracts... ;)

                              Mike (mwester)
                            • Bob
                              Message 14 of 25 , Feb 23, 2007
                                Is there any progress on this issue?

                                > > Those system using ntp should not matter. ntp should correct the time.
                                >
                                > AFAIK, NTP just ensures that the local system's concept of GMT is
                                > correct --
                                > NTP knows nothing of daylight savings time, so the local time will
                                > still be
                                > wrong.
                                >
                                > Actually, if it were just the displayed time that was wrong, it would be
                                > just an inconvenience. But it would affect cron jobs and other operations
                                > that might be more sensitive. So this is something we do need to address
                                > for Unslung users who would be concerned about this. It's possible, but
                                > unlikely, that we'll have a new Unslung release by then -- so I think
                                > perhaps a new timezone file for the Americas and a wiki article will
                                > do the
                                > job. Now all we need is a volunteer to create the necessary timezone file,
                                > and test the procedure.
                                >
                                > Mike (mwester)

                              • Brian Zhou
                                Message 15 of 25 , Feb 23, 2007
                                  For unslung, I've created a tz package, which contains up-to-date
                                  zoneinfo. Preliminary instruction can be found

                                  http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Profiles/BrianZhou

                                  I personally don't use linksys web interface at all, a potential
                                  problem is when you set a timezone using the web UI - that probably
                                  will overwrite /usr/local/localtime.

                                  I don't think there is a way around that other than not using that
                                  part of the web UI.

                                  -Brian Zhou

                                  --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Bob <bobejr@...> wrote:

                                  > Is there any progress on this issue?

                                • braydw
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Feb 27, 2007
                                    Brian -- I have installed your tz package in a Unslung and it appears
                                    to work. I set my TZ to America/New_York.
                                    I followed your preliminary instructions and then tested it by the
                                    command:
                                    date --utc 031106592007.50 ; date ; sleep 20 ; date

                                    I am curious how this got actived by the install process. I did not
                                    reboot.
                                    Could you please explain the process to me.

                                    Thank you for your great work.
                                    --David

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Feb 27, 2007
                                      It is a feature of glibc to translate machine hardware time to the
                                      time zone you want. The date command uses this libc service. You can
                                      specify your localtime in a couple of ways:

                                      1. TZ environment variable
                                      2. /etc/localtime file in compiled zoneinfo format (zoneinfo file
                                      contains things like gmt offset, when does DST start/end for which
                                      year, what is the DST gmt offset, etc.)

                                      On unslung, /etc/localtime is a link to /usr/local/localtime. The tz
                                      package provides up-to-date compiled zoneinfo files for all the
                                      timezones, and the key step is just "cp the-right-zoneinfo
                                      /usr/local/localtime".

                                      For detail see
                                      http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_node/TZ-Variable.html ,
                                      especially the following paragraph:

                                      If the TZ environment variable does not have a value, the operation
                                      chooses a time zone by default. In the GNU C library, the default time
                                      zone is like the specification `TZ=:/etc/localtime' (or
                                      `TZ=:/usr/local/etc/localtime', depending on how GNU C library was
                                      configured; see Installation). Other C libraries use their own rule
                                      for choosing the default time zone, so there is little we can say
                                      about them.

                                      Regards,

                                      -Brian Zhou

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Feb 27, 2007
                                        Yes the package works great. Not sure what your test method is but you only
                                        have to do the following to test -

                                        date --date="Mar 11 15:00:00 UTC 2007"

                                        If it reads EDT (or your local zone daylight savings) then it is working.

                                        Sun Mar 11 11:00:00 EDT 2007

                                        --- braydw <braydw@...> wrote:

                                        > Brian -- I have installed your tz package in a Unslung and it appears
                                        > to work. I set my TZ to America/New_York.
                                        > I followed your preliminary instructions and then tested it by the
                                        > command:
                                        > date --utc 031106592007.50 ; date ; sleep 20 ; date
                                        >
                                        > I am curious how this got actived by the install process. I did not
                                        > reboot.
                                        > Could you please explain the process to me.
                                        >
                                        > Thank you for your great work.
                                        > --David
                                        >
                                        > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Zhou" <b88zhou@...> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > For unslung, I've created a tz package, which contains up-to-date
                                        > > zoneinfo. Preliminary instruction can be found
                                        > >
                                        > > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Profiles/BrianZhou
                                        > >
                                        > > I personally don't use linksys web interface at all, a potential
                                        > > problem is when you set a timezone using the web UI - that probably
                                        > > will overwrite /usr/local/localtime.
                                        > >
                                        > > I don't think there is a way around that other than not using that
                                        > > part of the web UI.
                                        > >
                                        > > -Brian Zhou
                                        > >
                                        > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Bob <bobejr@> wrote:
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Is there any progress on this issue?

                                        http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265
                                      • Brian Zhou
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Feb 27, 2007
                                          http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/TimeZoneUpdate

                                          More than two people have tested the procedure and it is working.

                                          -Brian Zhou

                                          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Bob <bobejr@...> wrote:

                                          > Is there any progress on this issue?

                                        • Bob
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Feb 27, 2007
                                            On V2.3R29-uNSLUng-5.5-beta, with the addition of the diversion script rc.rstimezone described in http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/FixTheClockUsingAdjtimexAndNtpclient , the fix does not survive a reboot.

                                            My guess is that the line "/usr/sbin/Set_TimeZone" is restoring the linksys configuration.  Is it better to fix this script by commenting out this line,  change this script to establish a hard coded "TZ=America/Los_Angeles" or write another script that includes your fix on startup?

                                            Bob