RAIDed rootfs on OpenDebianSlug

  • Philip Pemberton
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2007
      Hi,
      Just out of curiosity, has anyone managed to set up a bootable RAIDed root
      filing system on OpenDebianSlug (or OpenSlug, which IIRC is used to boot ODS)?

      I guess what I need to do is modify /initrd/linuxrc to start up the RAID,
      then pivot root to /dev/md1 (or whatever), but it would be nice if someone
      who's already done this could explain how they did it, seeing as the wiki only
      seems to cover Unslung.

      Would I be better off reflashing to Debian-arm proper (instead of
      OpenDebianSlug, aka debian-armeb) and then reconfiguring everything on the new
      drive? I guess the hard part is going to be moving the Samba PDC config, SMB
      IDs and user accounts over without breaking anything...

      Has anyone solved the "RAID marked as dirty" issue reported on the wiki -
      the one where if you power down the 'slug, the RAID rootfs is not unmounted
      and thus marked as 'dirty', forcing md to resync it (copy from drive 0 to
      drive 1) on the next cold boot and crippling the RAID until the resync completes?

      Is it possible to RAID the swap too? I was thinking about having a RAID0'ed
      swap partition (which provides speed but not redundancy), and a RAID1 for data
      storage (which offers redundancy but not necessarily speed).

      Thanks.
      --
      Phil. | (\_/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny
      ygroups@... | (='.'=) into your signature to help him gain