kernel 2.6.18-4 in Debian unstable

  • Thomas Böhne
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007
      This morning I have realized that 2.6.18-4 finally made it into unstable
      in Debian. All the problems that I used to have with 2.6.18-3 seem to be
      gone, including the endianess problems with tcpdump. So if you are having
      trouble with stalling network connections, capturing packets or network
      timeouts, I suggest you upgrade to the new kernel.

      Greetings,
      Thomas
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007
        Thomas Böhne wrote:
        > This morning I have realized that 2.6.18-4 finally made it into unstable
        > in Debian. All the problems that I used to have with 2.6.18-3 seem to be
        > gone, including the endianess problems with tcpdump. So if you are having
        > trouble with stalling network connections, capturing packets or network
        > timeouts, I suggest you upgrade to the new kernel.

        And there lies the reason why we chose to go early with the open source
        driver - if there are problems, then they get fixed :-)

        -- Rod
      • Tom Curran
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007
          What is the best way to install the new kernel? Where can I get it?
          Can it be done with apt-get?

          --Tom

          Thomas Böhne wrote:

          > This morning I have realized that 2.6.18-4 finally made it into unstable
          > in Debian. All the problems that I used to have with 2.6.18-3 seem to be
          > gone, including the endianess problems with tcpdump. So if you are having
          > trouble with stalling network connections, capturing packets or network
          > timeouts, I suggest you upgrade to the new kernel.
          >
          > Greetings,
          > Thomas

        • Aaron Wolfe

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 2, 2007
              * Tom Curran <narrucmot@...> [2007-02-01 19:09]:
              > What is the best way to install the new kernel? Where can I get it?
              > Can it be done with apt-get?

              You could do:

              wget http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/pool/main/l/linux-2.6/linux-image-2.6.18-4-ixp4xx_2.6.18.dfsg.1-9_arm.deb
              sudo dpkg -i linux-image-2.6.18-4-ixp4xx_2.6.18.dfsg.1-9_arm.deb

              --
              Martin Michlmayr
              http://www.cyrius.com/
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 2, 2007
                Thank you! That was about 10 times and easy and painless as I thought
                it would be!