Re: [nslu2-linux] 1+ hour boot up

  • Thomas Boehne
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2007
      GSHumphreys wrote:
      > I love my slug, but it has started living up to its name, it takes over
      > an hour to boot..... when it has finished it works fine until the next
      > reboot. This takes more than an hour too.

      I sometimes have a similar problem. When I power on the slug, it
      usually boots up normally, but sometimes it seems to get stuck in the
      bootloader. When I recognize that the slug did not boot properly
      (cannot reach it after a few minutes) I usually connect to the serial
      console, and if I type enter, the boot timeout appears, counts down
      some seconds, and then boots up properly.

      My machine is de-underclocked, has a auto-power-on with attiny13, and
      a serial console using an old siemens mobile phone cable. I don't know
      if the bootloader gets stuck because the serial console sent some
      garbage that caused the bootloader to stop and wait for input. Does
      anyone have an idea?

      @GSHumphrey: Maybe your filesystem is bad and requires a filesystem
      check at bootup? That would explain the delay. Is there heavy disk
      activity during boot-up? Did you install many services/daemons that
      use too much memory? That would cause the slug to swap, which could be
      incredibly slow.

      Thomas
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2007
        Your serial port is getting interference and stopping the boot. See the wiki page for ideas about how to fix this (it needs a resistor added).
        -- Rod

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Thomas Böhne
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 5, 2007
          Rod Whitby wrote:
          > Your serial port is getting interference and stopping the boot. See the
          > wiki page for ideas about how to fix this (it needs a resistor added).

          I had not done any research on that problem, since the slug is usually
          running 24x7, so sorry for not looking at the most obvious place before
          posting the problem... But thanks for the hint, I'll add the resistor and
          see if it helps.

          Regards
          Thomas