1+ hour boot up

  • GSHumphreys
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 30, 2007
      Hi Chaps,

      I love my slug, but it has started living up to its name, it takes over
      an hour to boot..... when it has finished it works fine until the next
      reboot. This takes more than an hour too.

      I have now got myself very confused, what have I done?

      Gary
    • mwester@dls.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 30, 2007
        It would be really helpful if you could share a bit more about your device, perhaps.

        What firmware and which version? What sort of disk(s) or flash device(s)? What packages have been installed? Have you checked (by connecting to various services, or pinging the device) to see if you can determine if the device is stuck early in the boot process, or while running startup scripts?

        Mike (mwester)

        > Hi Chaps,
        >
        > I love my slug, but it has started living up to its name, it takes over
        > an hour to boot..... when it has finished it works fine until the next
        > reboot. This takes more than an hour too.
        >
        > I have now got myself very confused, what have I done?
        >
        > Gary
      • Thomas Boehne
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2007
          GSHumphreys wrote:
          > I love my slug, but it has started living up to its name, it takes over
          > an hour to boot..... when it has finished it works fine until the next
          > reboot. This takes more than an hour too.

          I sometimes have a similar problem. When I power on the slug, it
          usually boots up normally, but sometimes it seems to get stuck in the
          bootloader. When I recognize that the slug did not boot properly
          (cannot reach it after a few minutes) I usually connect to the serial
          console, and if I type enter, the boot timeout appears, counts down
          some seconds, and then boots up properly.

          My machine is de-underclocked, has a auto-power-on with attiny13, and
          a serial console using an old siemens mobile phone cable. I don't know
          if the bootloader gets stuck because the serial console sent some
          garbage that caused the bootloader to stop and wait for input. Does
          anyone have an idea?

          @GSHumphrey: Maybe your filesystem is bad and requires a filesystem
          check at bootup? That would explain the delay. Is there heavy disk
          activity during boot-up? Did you install many services/daemons that
          use too much memory? That would cause the slug to swap, which could be
          incredibly slow.

          Thomas
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 1, 2007
            Your serial port is getting interference and stopping the boot. See the wiki page for ideas about how to fix this (it needs a resistor added).
            -- Rod

[...]

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Thomas Böhne
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 5, 2007
              Rod Whitby wrote:
              > Your serial port is getting interference and stopping the boot. See the
              > wiki page for ideas about how to fix this (it needs a resistor added).

              I had not done any research on that problem, since the slug is usually
              running 24x7, so sorry for not looking at the most obvious place before
              posting the problem... But thanks for the hint, I'll add the resistor and
              see if it helps.

              Regards
              Thomas