Re: upgrading from unslung 1.1

  • Adam Baker
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 23, 2007
      bringitonfu27 <stef@...> writes:

      > lol. yes indeed. I did mean 1.1... I got the slug when they first
      > came out, and 1.1 has been doing all i need it to, until now...
      > Cheers for the advice though.

      I tried doing an in place upgrade from 3.something to 6.5 - It isn't trivial and
      I managed to lose the ipkg data that said what packages are installed. I
      wouldn't recommend it if you have another disk available.

      > I just want to make sure that plugging the old disk in won't confuse
      > things. So just to confirm, this is what I'm going to do:
      >
      > 1) unplug old disk with data and unslung 1.1 on.
      > 2) follow firmware upgrade procedure with no disks attached.
      > 3) unsling 6.6 to a fresh hard disk with nothing on.
      > 4) when unslung successfully, plug in old hard disk with data.
      > 5) copy data from old drive to fresh new disk with 6.6 on.
      > 6) reformat old hard disk and thus get rid of all remnants of 1.1
      > 7) set up automated backup from new disk to old disk.
      >
      > Is this correct? It's just step 4 that I'm not too sure about. I'm
      > planning on plugging the disk in when the slug is booted and running
      > unslung already, so it doesn't try to boot from the old 1.1 version.

      You may observe some strange behaviour when you do step 4 but it shouldn't cause
      significant problems if you log in, plug in the old disk, copy the old data,
      fdisk the old disk then switch off.
      If you reformat the old disk via the web interface it could cause future
      confusion as to which conf partition is being used so I'd suggest manually
      reformatting rather than using the web i/f.