Proftpd performance

  • quitchek
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 22, 2007
      I have a proftpd ftp server running on my NSLU but it doesn´t have the
      performance I thought it would have. My windows ftp can deliver over
      1Mb/sec but the NSLU only deliver 800kb/sec (10mbit internet
      connection), is there anything I can do to boost the performance?

      Thanks
    • A Friend
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 23, 2007
        Have you tried overclocking (removing the underclock)?

        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/OverClockTheSlug

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "quitchek" <quitchek@...> wrote:

        > I have a proftpd ftp server running on my NSLU but it doesn´t have the
        > performance I thought it would have. My windows ftp can deliver over
        > 1Mb/sec but the NSLU only deliver 800kb/sec (10mbit internet
        > connection), is there anything I can do to boost the performance?
        >
        > Thanks

      • Robert Hammond
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 23, 2007
          In message <ep3b4c+8nf6@...>, quitchek <quitchek@...>
          writes
          >I have a proftpd ftp server running on my NSLU but it doesn´t have the
          >performance I thought it would have. My windows ftp can deliver over
          >1Mb/sec but the NSLU only deliver 800kb/sec (10mbit internet
          >connection), is there anything I can do to boost the performance?

          I have some figures from my own NSLU2 for comparison. Standard FTP
          connection performance seems to be much better than yours at over 4000
          kb/s. Unsure of the reason for this.

          Running Proftpd in passive mode with Xinetd on Unslung 5.5 through a
          100mb router to relatively slow XP machine running WSFTP client.

          Note that I also have other Optware apps such as OpenSSH, MySql,
          Lighttpd and PHP-FCGI sharing the NSLU2 user ram.

          Using standard FTP
          To NSLU2 = 4550 kb/s
          From NSLU2 = 4090 kb/s

          Using FTP with SSL/TLS, both the control and data channels encrypted.
          To NSLU2 = 1025 kb/s
          From NSLU2 = 875 kb/s

          --
          Robert Hammond
          PGP:0x154144DA
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 26, 2007
            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hammond <rob.hammond@...>
            wrote:

            > In message <ep3b4c+8nf6@...>, quitchek <quitchek@...>
            > writes
            > >I have a proftpd ftp server running on my NSLU but it doesn´t have the
            > >performance I thought it would have. My windows ftp can deliver over
            > >1Mb/sec but the NSLU only deliver 800kb/sec (10mbit internet
            > >connection), is there anything I can do to boost the performance?
            > >
            > I have some figures from my own NSLU2 for comparison. Standard FTP
            > connection performance seems to be much better than yours at over 4000
            > kb/s. Unsure of the reason for this.
            >
            > Running Proftpd in passive mode with Xinetd on Unslung 5.5 through a
            > 100mb router to relatively slow XP machine running WSFTP client.
            >
            > Note that I also have other Optware apps such as OpenSSH, MySql,
            > Lighttpd and PHP-FCGI sharing the NSLU2 user ram.
            >
            > Using standard FTP
            > To NSLU2 = 4550 kb/s
            > From NSLU2 = 4090 kb/s
            >
            > Using FTP with SSL/TLS, both the control and data channels encrypted.
            > To NSLU2 = 1025 kb/s
            > From NSLU2 = 875 kb/s
            >

            > --
            > Robert Hammond
            > PGP:0x154144DA

            The strange thing with my NSLU is that without SSL/TLS I only get
            about 280kb/sec???

            I don´t have that much optware running but it looks like it´s a limit
            of 850kb/sec when using SSL/TLS.

            I have the newer version that runs att 266mhz default.

            Thanks for your answers
          • Robert Hammond
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 29, 2007
              In message <epdbu5+t61i@...>, quitchek <quitchek@...>
              writes
              >--- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hammond <rob.hammond@...>
              >wrote:
              >>
              >> In message <ep3b4c+8nf6@...>, quitchek <quitchek@...>
              >> writes
              >> >I have a proftpd ftp server running on my NSLU but it doesn´t have the
              >> >performance I thought it would have. My windows ftp can deliver over
              >> >1Mb/sec but the NSLU only deliver 800kb/sec (10mbit internet
              >> >connection), is there anything I can do to boost the performance?
              >> >
              >> I have some figures from my own NSLU2 for comparison. Standard FTP
              >> connection performance seems to be much better than yours at over 4000
              >> kb/s. Unsure of the reason for this.
              >>
              >> Running Proftpd in passive mode with Xinetd on Unslung 5.5 through a
              >> 100mb router to relatively slow XP machine running WSFTP client.
              >>
              >> Note that I also have other Optware apps such as OpenSSH, MySql,
              >> Lighttpd and PHP-FCGI sharing the NSLU2 user ram.
              >>
              >> Using standard FTP
              >> To NSLU2 = 4550 kb/s
              >> From NSLU2 = 4090 kb/s
              >>
              >> Using FTP with SSL/TLS, both the control and data channels encrypted.
              >> To NSLU2 = 1025 kb/s
              >> From NSLU2 = 875 kb/s
              >>

              >> --
              >> Robert Hammond
              >> PGP:0x154144DA
              >>

              >The strange thing with my NSLU is that without SSL/TLS I only get
              >about 280kb/sec???
              >
              >I don´t have that much optware running but it looks like it´s a limit
              >of 850kb/sec when using SSL/TLS.
              >
              >I have the newer version that runs att 266mhz default.

              Forgot to mention that mine is also over clocked.
              Your standard speed is very strange, perhaps its client related.
              --
              Robert Hammond
              PGP:0x154144DA
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 4, 2007
                In message <epdbu5+t61i@...>, quitchek <quitchek@...>
                writes
                >--- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hammond <rob.hammond@...>
                >wrote:
                >>
                >> In message <ep3b4c+8nf6@...>, quitchek <quitchek@...>
                >> writes
                >> >I have a proftpd ftp server running on my NSLU but it doesn´t have the
                >> >performance I thought it would have. My windows ftp can deliver over
                >> >1Mb/sec but the NSLU only deliver 800kb/sec (10mbit internet
                >> >connection), is there anything I can do to boost the performance?
                >> >
                >> I have some figures from my own NSLU2 for comparison. Standard FTP
                >> connection performance seems to be much better than yours at over 4000
                >> kb/s. Unsure of the reason for this.
                >>
                >> Running Proftpd in passive mode with Xinetd on Unslung 5.5 through a
                >> 100mb router to relatively slow XP machine running WSFTP client.
                >>
                >> Note that I also have other Optware apps such as OpenSSH, MySql,
                >> Lighttpd and PHP-FCGI sharing the NSLU2 user ram.
                >>
                >> Using standard FTP
                >> To NSLU2 = 4550 kb/s
                >> From NSLU2 = 4090 kb/s
                >>
                >> Using FTP with SSL/TLS, both the control and data channels encrypted.
                >> To NSLU2 = 1025 kb/s
                >> From NSLU2 = 875 kb/s
                >>

                >> --
                >> Robert Hammond
                >> PGP:0x154144DA
                >>

                >The strange thing with my NSLU is that without SSL/TLS I only get
                >about 280kb/sec???
                >
                >I don´t have that much optware running but it looks like it´s a limit
                >of 850kb/sec when using SSL/TLS.
                >
                >I have the newer version that runs att 266mhz default.

                Do you think that it has something to do with the following thread. I
                use Unslung 5.5 with is derived from release r29. Unslung 6.8 is
                derived from release r63.

                <http://forums.linksys.com/linksys/board/message?board.id=Network_Storage
                &message.id=123>
                --