Free memory - is this too low?

  • biffa001
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 9, 2007
      Having run the command "cat /proc/meminfo" I am given the following info:

      total: used: free: shared: buffers: cached:
      Mem: 31256576 30547968 708608 0 782336 8830976
      Swap: 57569280 29753344 27815936
      MemTotal: 30524 kB
      MemFree: 692 kB
      MemShared: 0 kB
      Buffers: 764 kB
      Cached: 4340 kB
      SwapCached: 4284 kB
      Active: 12620 kB
      Inactive: 11780 kB
      HighTotal: 0 kB
      HighFree: 0 kB
      LowTotal: 30524 kB
      LowFree: 692 kB
      SwapTotal: 56220 kB
      SwapFree: 27164 kB

      The line that got me worried was the 2nd one down which says I hae
      692kB free out of 32MB.....! Is this right?

      Basically all I am running on my slug is:

      ccxstream - to stream video/music to my Xbox
      kaid - to enable online Xbox play
      1 torrent download using CTCS and enhanced-ctorrent

      and that's it..! My slug has gotten a bit slow recently so I went
      through the IPKG web page on it and deleted a lot of programs I
      installed which I know I don't use (like bluetooth stuff), but that
      didn't really make any difference. I also stopped the Onetouch process
      which I read is only needed if you use Maxtor one touch drives.

      Having read some of the many, many things people use their slug's for
      it seemed odd to me to have such a low amount of memory left after
      only running 3 things on it!

      Any other suggestions great fully received, of if I don't have to
      really worry let me know.

      Cheers
      Steve
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 9, 2007
        biffa001 wrote:
        > Having run the command "cat /proc/meminfo" I am given the following info:
        >
        > total: used: free: shared: buffers: cached:
        > Mem: 31256576 30547968 708608 0 782336 8830976
        > Swap: 57569280 29753344 27815936
        > MemTotal: 30524 kB

        > MemFree: 692 kB

        This is the completely unused memory. 700Kb.

        > Buffers: 764 kB
        > Cached: 4340 kB

        This is memory that the kernel is currently using to speed up the
        response of disk accesses, but which the kernel will relinquish to
        programs if they need more memory.

        So you really have 5.7MB free.

        Type the "free" command to see this more clearly.

        -- Rod
      • Mark Zander
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 9, 2007
          Don't expect to have much 'free' memory when you are using any sort of Torrent program.
          My experience is that the Torrent programs load and keep chunks in memory. Much of it eventually gets swapped out but if you are downloading a new torrent it is not unusual to see 150MB + of swap just being used by the Torrent program.
          Just downloading 2 torrents keeps my disk pegged swapping!

          Zander.