Change ip-address of slug problem

  • Chris Cox
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2007
      Hope somebody can help me, but I've had to change the ip addresses on
      my network from 192.168.11 to 192.168.1. I have an unslung disk on
      port 2 so disconnected it and booted slug on 192.168.11 address.
      Accessed web page and changed the ip to 192.168.1.210. Shutdown,
      changed the network addressing on the router and rebooted. Fine, am
      able to connect, but if I then shutdown and reboot with the unslung
      disk attached I can't connect.
      I'm thinking that the disk has the old ip addresses but have tried
      connecting on that after changing my laptop address but still no joy.
      Have found /share/flash/conf/config.bin has references to the old .11
      address but /share/flash/data/etc/CGI_ds.conf & hosts reference the
      new .1 address. Not sure whether to amend these files directly or
      whether there are any more that need to be edited.

      Also /share/flash/data/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ixp0 shows
      new address
      DEVICE=ixp0
      IPADDR=192.168.1.210
      NETMASK=255.255.255.0
      NETWORK=192.168.1.0
      BROADCAST=192.168.1.255
      ONBOOT=yes
      BOOTPROTO=none

      Anybody any ideas?
      Many thanks

      Chris
    • Mike (mwester)
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 3, 2007
        The correct way to change the IP address with Unslung is to use the Linskys
        GUI. The Linksys GUI will take care to write the new IP information to the
        sysconf partition in the flash memory of the device, where it will be read
        and used at the next boot.

        Changing files on disk is probably counter-productive, as they will probably
        be overwritten at boot time, or outright ignored by the device, or (as seems
        to be the possiblity in your case) confuse the device hopelessly. Usually
        when confused, it will either resort to DHCP (check your router to see if it
        provided an address for the device at boot), or default to 192.168.1.77.

        Don't forget that if you use static network configs, you have to change all
        the information -- so the gateway as well as the slug's IP need to be
        changed at the same time.

        Mike (mwester)

        > Hope somebody can help me, but I've had to change the ip addresses on
        > my network from 192.168.11 to 192.168.1. I have an unslung disk on
        > port 2 so disconnected it and booted slug on 192.168.11 address.
        > Accessed web page and changed the ip to 192.168.1.210. Shutdown,
        > changed the network addressing on the router and rebooted. Fine, am
        > able to connect, but if I then shutdown and reboot with the unslung
        > disk attached I can't connect.
        > I'm thinking that the disk has the old ip addresses but have tried
        > connecting on that after changing my laptop address but still no joy.
        > Have found /share/flash/conf/config.bin has references to the old .11
        > address but /share/flash/data/etc/CGI_ds.conf & hosts reference the
        > new .1 address. Not sure whether to amend these files directly or
        > whether there are any more that need to be edited.
        >
        > Also /share/flash/data/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ixp0 shows
        > new address
        > DEVICE=ixp0
        > IPADDR=192.168.1.210
        > NETMASK=255.255.255.0
        > NETWORK=192.168.1.0
        > BROADCAST=192.168.1.255
        > ONBOOT=yes
        > BOOTPROTO=none
        >
        > Anybody any ideas?
        > Many thanks
        >
        > Chris
      • Chris Cox
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 12, 2007
          Mike, thanks for the tip. I corrected the issue by disconnecting the
          slug, changing the ip back to the original 192.168.11.x address,
          reconfigured the PC, reconnected the USB drive, rebooted and hoped.
          Yes, that was ok, so left the drive attached and changed the ip
          address back to 192.168.1.x and now everything is working ok.

          Many thanks

          Chris

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Mike \(mwester\)" <mwester@...>