Re: gnokii-smsD

  • jphastingsspital
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 2, 2007
      Probing with Mac OS X's USB probing program gives:

      -- USb Probe --
      Full Speed device @ 4 (0x1D100000):
      ............................................. Composite device:
      "USB-Serial Controller"
      Device Descriptor
      Descriptor Version Number: 0x0110
      Device Class: 0 (Composite)
      Device Subclass: 0
      Device Protocol: 0
      Device MaxPacketSize: 64
      Device VendorID/ProductID: 0x067B/0x2303 (Prolific
      Technology, Inc.)
      Device Version Number: 0x0300
      Number of Configurations: 1
      Manufacturer String: 1 "Prolific Technology Inc."
      Product String: 2 "USB-Serial Controller"
      Serial Number String: 0 (none)
      --

      So it is a prolific, and it should be working, as it's listed on the
      gnokii support site: http://wiki.gnokii.org/index.php/Cables
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 2, 2007
        I'm trying to guess your platform from the email, and I give up: what
        firmware is this?

        Try searching for the package containing lsusb -- that command should
        provide all the details about the device.

        Mike (mwester)

        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 2, 2007
          Sorry - its the most recent Unslung, 2.4.22-xfs.

          lsusb won't give anything about the device as it's not being
          recognised by the kernel (or am I wrong on that?)

          -- complete lsusb output --
          Unknown line at line 1809
          Duplicate HUT Usage Spec at line 2650
          Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000 Virtual Hub
          Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000 Virtual Hub
          Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000 Virtual Hub
          Bus 001 Device 002: ID 05e3:0605
          Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0840:0082
          Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0840:0082
          Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0ea0:2168
          --

          None of those device IDs are that of my PL2303 (which is 067b:2303)
        • Mike (mwester)
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 2, 2007
            Hmmm... by "most recent", I'm going to assume 6.8-beta. I think that lsusb
            *should* show you something, but I could be wrong. What port are you
            plugging it into, and do you have a hub on the system? Have you tried
            changing that around (hubs are supported on port 1, but I haven't tried a
            serial device on a hub)?

            Mike (mwester)

            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 3, 2007
              Oh the pain and humiliation! Yes, putting it directly into Port 1 (no
              hub) makes it sing, dance and (more importantly) work. This now leaves
              me with a choice: do I want my NSLU2 to work as an SMS gateway or a
              file server?

              Are there any ways to sort this problem? Any places you think I could
              look or things I could research into?

              Details:
              Port 2: 512Mb USB Flash drive (unslung here)
              Port 1: 4 port passive hub (Device ID 05e3:0605)
              - 2x 300Gb HD
              - 1x 250Gb HD
              - Hopefully one PL2303!

              Many thanks for your help so far!
            • jphastingsspital
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 3, 2007
                And While I'm pondering that dilemma, could someone compile the smsD
                (preferably with the MySQL option)? The default gnokii makefile
                doesn't build it by default.
                A newsgroup posting about how to do it here:
                http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2005-December/108719.html
                the long & short of it is that you need to:
                make clean && make -DWITH_SMSD install

                Thanks for your help everyone!
              • Marcel Nijenhof
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 4, 2007
                  On Wed, 2007-01-03 at 22:45 +0000, jphastingsspital wrote:

                  > And While I'm pondering that dilemma, could someone compile the smsD
                  > (preferably with the MySQL option)?

                  I am working on it.

                  > The default gnokii makefile doesn't build it by default.

                  There is a separate directory and you have to call make there
                  again. Unfortunately i have to setup a gnokii-stage first so
                  i it's more than just calling make.

                  > A newsgroup posting about how to do it here:
                  > http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2005-December/108719.html
                  > the long & short of it is that you need to:
                  > make clean && make -DWITH_SMSD install

                  That doesn't work for the slug. This instruction is specific for
                  the bsd ports Makefiles.

                  --
                  marceln
                • Marcel Nijenhof
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 5, 2007
                    On Thu, 2007-01-04 at 22:52 +0100, Marcel Nijenhof wrote:

                    > > And While I'm pondering that dilemma, could someone compile the smsD
                    > > (preferably with the MySQL option)?

                    I have submitted the changes for smsd but only with a file backend
                    at this moment.

                    --
                    marceln
                  • jphastingsspital
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 8, 2007
                      Fantastic! I've tested that out and it works well, except that you
                      haven't included glib as a required package - this happens otherwise:

                      smsd: error while loading shared libraries: libglib-2.0.so.0: cannot

                      to anyone else who gets this error:
                      dlopen error: /opt/lib/smsd/libpq.so: cannot open shared object file:
                      No such file or directory!
                      Cannot load database module pq in directory /opt/lib/smsd!

                      it's because the smsD package has only been compiled wih the file
                      backend, (it's trying to load the postgresql database backend) use:
                      smsd -m file
                      and see the manual for more details. (google: smsd man)

                      Happy, happy, joy, joy!
                    • Marcel Nijenhof
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 9, 2007
                        On Tue, 2007-01-09 at 01:29 +0000, jphastingsspital wrote:

                        > Fantastic! I've tested that out and it works well, except that you
                        > haven't included glib as a required package - this happens otherwise:
                        >
                        > smsd: error while loading shared libraries: libglib-2.0.so.0: cannot

                        This is solved by "oleo" in verion 0.6.14-4.

                        > to anyone else who gets this error:
                        > dlopen error: /opt/lib/smsd/libpq.so: cannot open shared object file:
                        > No such file or directory!
                        > Cannot load database module pq in directory /opt/lib/smsd!

                        This is solved in version "0.6.14-5". The default is now file!

                        > it's because the smsD package has only been compiled wih the file
                        > backend, (it's trying to load the postgresql database backend) use:
                        > smsd -m file

                        There is mysql support from version "0.6.14-3". The sql file to
                        create the actual tables is in version "0.6.14-5".

                        NOTE:
                        Could you document the use of smsd in the wiki.

                        PS:
                        I would like to thank "oleo" and "bzhou" for
                        the patched they added to this package as well.

                        --
                        marceln