Re: gnokii-smsD

  • jphastingsspital
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 2, 2007
      Ahhh! It's insmod on the NSLU2 (I'm used to modprobe etc)
      Right, more problems...

      -- partial dmesg output --
      usb.c: registered new driver serial
      usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for Generic
      usbserial.c: USB Serial Driver core v1.4
      usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for PL-2303
      pl2303.c: Prolific PL2303 USB to serial adaptor driver v0.11
      hub.c: new USB device 00:01.2-1.4, assigned address 8
      Device descriptor:8 bytes received.
      usb.c: unable to get device descriptor (error=-32)
      --

      I don't know how to find the Device ID of my PL2303, I seem to
      remember that I need to re-compile the PL2303 driver to include mine

      My mac throws this out:
      --partial dmesg output --
      USB-Serial Controller: family specific matching fails
      --

      So maybe it is that I have a non-standard PL2303!

      Thanks so much for your help so far, Happy new year!
    • jphastingsspital
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 2, 2007
        Probing with Mac OS X's USB probing program gives:

        -- USb Probe --
        Full Speed device @ 4 (0x1D100000):
        ............................................. Composite device:
        "USB-Serial Controller"
        Device Descriptor
        Descriptor Version Number: 0x0110
        Device Class: 0 (Composite)
        Device Subclass: 0
        Device Protocol: 0
        Device MaxPacketSize: 64
        Device VendorID/ProductID: 0x067B/0x2303 (Prolific
        Technology, Inc.)
        Device Version Number: 0x0300
        Number of Configurations: 1
        Manufacturer String: 1 "Prolific Technology Inc."
        Product String: 2 "USB-Serial Controller"
        Serial Number String: 0 (none)
        --

        So it is a prolific, and it should be working, as it's listed on the
        gnokii support site: http://wiki.gnokii.org/index.php/Cables
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 2, 2007
          I'm trying to guess your platform from the email, and I give up: what
          firmware is this?

          Try searching for the package containing lsusb -- that command should
          provide all the details about the device.

          Mike (mwester)

          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 2, 2007
            Sorry - its the most recent Unslung, 2.4.22-xfs.

            lsusb won't give anything about the device as it's not being
            recognised by the kernel (or am I wrong on that?)

            -- complete lsusb output --
            Unknown line at line 1809
            Duplicate HUT Usage Spec at line 2650
            Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000 Virtual Hub
            Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000 Virtual Hub
            Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000 Virtual Hub
            Bus 001 Device 002: ID 05e3:0605
            Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0840:0082
            Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0840:0082
            Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0ea0:2168
            --

            None of those device IDs are that of my PL2303 (which is 067b:2303)
          • Mike (mwester)
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 2, 2007
              Hmmm... by "most recent", I'm going to assume 6.8-beta. I think that lsusb
              *should* show you something, but I could be wrong. What port are you
              plugging it into, and do you have a hub on the system? Have you tried
              changing that around (hubs are supported on port 1, but I haven't tried a
              serial device on a hub)?

              Mike (mwester)

              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 3, 2007
                Oh the pain and humiliation! Yes, putting it directly into Port 1 (no
                hub) makes it sing, dance and (more importantly) work. This now leaves
                me with a choice: do I want my NSLU2 to work as an SMS gateway or a
                file server?

                Are there any ways to sort this problem? Any places you think I could
                look or things I could research into?

                Details:
                Port 2: 512Mb USB Flash drive (unslung here)
                Port 1: 4 port passive hub (Device ID 05e3:0605)
                - 2x 300Gb HD
                - 1x 250Gb HD
                - Hopefully one PL2303!

                Many thanks for your help so far!
              • jphastingsspital
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 3, 2007
                  And While I'm pondering that dilemma, could someone compile the smsD
                  (preferably with the MySQL option)? The default gnokii makefile
                  doesn't build it by default.
                  A newsgroup posting about how to do it here:
                  http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2005-December/108719.html
                  the long & short of it is that you need to:
                  make clean && make -DWITH_SMSD install

                  Thanks for your help everyone!
                • Marcel Nijenhof
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 4, 2007
                    On Wed, 2007-01-03 at 22:45 +0000, jphastingsspital wrote:

                    > And While I'm pondering that dilemma, could someone compile the smsD
                    > (preferably with the MySQL option)?

                    I am working on it.

                    > The default gnokii makefile doesn't build it by default.

                    There is a separate directory and you have to call make there
                    again. Unfortunately i have to setup a gnokii-stage first so
                    i it's more than just calling make.

                    > A newsgroup posting about how to do it here:
                    > http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2005-December/108719.html
                    > the long & short of it is that you need to:
                    > make clean && make -DWITH_SMSD install

                    That doesn't work for the slug. This instruction is specific for
                    the bsd ports Makefiles.

                    --
                    marceln
                  • Marcel Nijenhof
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 5, 2007
                      On Thu, 2007-01-04 at 22:52 +0100, Marcel Nijenhof wrote:

                      > > And While I'm pondering that dilemma, could someone compile the smsD
                      > > (preferably with the MySQL option)?

                      I have submitted the changes for smsd but only with a file backend
                      at this moment.

                      --
                      marceln
                    • jphastingsspital
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 8, 2007
                        Fantastic! I've tested that out and it works well, except that you
                        haven't included glib as a required package - this happens otherwise:

                        smsd: error while loading shared libraries: libglib-2.0.so.0: cannot

                        to anyone else who gets this error:
                        dlopen error: /opt/lib/smsd/libpq.so: cannot open shared object file:
                        No such file or directory!
                        Cannot load database module pq in directory /opt/lib/smsd!

                        it's because the smsD package has only been compiled wih the file
                        backend, (it's trying to load the postgresql database backend) use:
                        smsd -m file
                        and see the manual for more details. (google: smsd man)

                        Happy, happy, joy, joy!
                      • Marcel Nijenhof
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 9, 2007
                          On Tue, 2007-01-09 at 01:29 +0000, jphastingsspital wrote:

                          > Fantastic! I've tested that out and it works well, except that you
                          > haven't included glib as a required package - this happens otherwise:
                          >
                          > smsd: error while loading shared libraries: libglib-2.0.so.0: cannot

                          This is solved by "oleo" in verion 0.6.14-4.

                          > to anyone else who gets this error:
                          > dlopen error: /opt/lib/smsd/libpq.so: cannot open shared object file:
                          > No such file or directory!
                          > Cannot load database module pq in directory /opt/lib/smsd!

                          This is solved in version "0.6.14-5". The default is now file!

                          > it's because the smsD package has only been compiled wih the file
                          > backend, (it's trying to load the postgresql database backend) use:
                          > smsd -m file

                          There is mysql support from version "0.6.14-3". The sql file to
                          create the actual tables is in version "0.6.14-5".

                          NOTE:
                          Could you document the use of smsd in the wiki.

                          PS:
                          I would like to thank "oleo" and "bzhou" for
                          the patched they added to this package as well.

                          --
                          marceln